Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Business Users Forum » Throttling/Shaping over VPN
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Throttling/Shaping over VPN  (Read 9436 times)
gnanderson

« on: June 04, 2014, 10:59:36 am »

Data transfer over VPN from our office to our Amazon EC2 instances is being shaped/throttled. Is this a standard practice for Plusnet business accounts? If not, how can we remedy the situation?

It's unacceptable that it takes almost 10 minutes to transfer a 12MB binary to our servers.

Thanks,
Graham
jelv1

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2014, 11:08:37 am »

If you are talking about uploading, Plusnet have NEVER throttled or shaped uploads - the main limit will be the connection speed which is always much lower than download.

What sort of connection are you on (fibre or ADSL)? What are your sync speeds? Have you done a speed comparison direct as against over the VPN? What Plusnet account type are you on?

jelv
gnanderson

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2014, 11:19:22 am »

If you are talking about uploading, Plusnet have NEVER throttled or shaped uploads - the main limit will be the connection speed which is always much lower than download.

What sort of connection are you on (fibre or ADSL)? What are your sync speeds? Have you done a speed comparison direct as against over the VPN? What Plusnet account type are you on?

connection: ADSL, negotiated up/down rates are 1,219 / 20,847
scp transfer over vpn: 26.5KB
scp transfer direct: 144.7KB/s
account type: 'Unlimited' Business Broadband + phone
jelv1

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2014, 11:36:43 am »

I'm on 20CN Max Premium (832mbps upload sync). I've just tried running http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed.html to a mapped network drive over the VPN. A 12MB file uploaded in 151 seconds which was nearly maxing out my upload. Could you try running that in the same way to identify if it is a general upload over the VPN or something specific to the type of upload you are using.

jelv
gnanderson

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2014, 11:47:11 am »

I'm on 20CN Max Premium (832mbps upload sync). I've just tried running http://www.totusoft.com/lanspeed.html to a mapped network drive over the VPN. A 12MB file uploaded in 151 seconds which was nearly maxing out my upload. Could you try running that in the same way to identify if it is a general upload over the VPN or something specific to the type of upload you are using.

I can't use that software as we don't use windows. In any case I'm certain the type of data transferred through a VPN will have no relevance on whether the VPN traffic is being shaped or not. It's encrypted, and therefore indistinguishable. VPN data is VPN data is VPN data...
jelv1

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2014, 12:27:01 pm »

I agree VPN data should all be the same. I'm getting full speed so it can't be a blanket restriction. If you could try other upload methods to see if they are all similarly affected it might help identify what is going on.

jelv
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: