Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » 21CN
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 21CN  (Read 3314 times)
poppy

« on: March 04, 2010, 04:59:14 pm »

My exchange is being enabled at the end of this month. Have sent a ticket in to PN to enquire about trying it out but have been told that I cannot have it. I understand that this is because I am on Value and need to be on one of the higher spec packages to qualify.
I am not a high user i.e. have never gone above 5GB AFAIK. Question is, why is it that this is being restricted?
It can't be because of excess usage because whether you are on one or the other, when you've reached your limit, that's it.
My speed is pretty good - 4.5 to 5.5 and very stable but would love to have tried it.
Any thoughts on this please?

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
MauriceB
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2010, 09:43:49 pm »

I'd guess that it's just a marketing restriction Poppy.  'Value' is perceived as a low cost entry product with 'no frills', so allowing the 21CN to be added is a "NoNo!" 

It's not a Plusnet exclusive, its a common practice across many marketable products.  angel  Of course, I could be wrong.

Maurice
XPC exiled in NZ

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2010, 09:48:08 pm »

As Maurice says. I understand that it is a marketing restriction... because Plusnet need to keep reasons for a customer might want to spend more with them to upgrade the experience. The Value package is an exceptional deal (especially in Market 3 exchanges), and if they gave away ALL the good stuff there, then less people would spend more money.

Not the answer you wanted to hear, but very common in most sales arenas... creating compelling reasons for a customer to upsell!

Mike
jelv1

« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2010, 11:27:37 pm »

Plusnet have to have enough capacity to cater for all the users who are using the system at the same time and extra capacity costs a LOT of money. Having a lot of users (who are paying the minimum amount) downloading during the evening peak at faster speeds means they would have to get more capacity to cater for the demands. If Value was to be allowed to have the faster 21CN speeds the price would have to be raised.

jelv
poppy

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2010, 09:29:21 am »

Thanks for replies - can see why they hold it back as a marketing ploy.
Would be nice if they could make a little exception though! I'd promise to stay for
another 5 years!  angel

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
XPC exiled in NZ

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 07:46:23 pm »

I did wonder if Plusnet might offer a "21CN speed bolt-on" for "value" so those who want the speed with a low usage profile could get it.... but I suspect it'd not be worth it for Plusnet or the customer, since it'd be heading up to the price of Premium anyway, that you'd be worth paying the few extra pounds to get the better traffic shaping profiles to make better use of the extra speed that 21CN gives you.

I suspect that on 4.5 - 5.5Mb connection, you'd not see too vast a speed increase (maybe an extra 1Mb or so - although that is a pure guess!!!)... certainly nothing that would come even remotely close to the headline up-to-24Mb that technology is touted for. So whilst every little helps, I suspect you'd find it a lot of extra money to pay for such a small upgrade in speed!

I'm sure someone will post a link to it if it exists, but I think Kitz has an approximate 21CN speed prediction tool on her website.

Mike
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2010, 08:48:38 pm »

Consider it done. wink

Linky to Kitz's speed estimator.
poppy

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2010, 08:51:16 pm »

Thanks for the information. Will now be content to leave things as they are.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: