Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Beeping laptop!!!!!
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Beeping laptop!!!!!  (Read 3983 times)
FatherJack

« on: June 18, 2009, 04:50:48 pm »

Any of you undoubted experts out there know why my laptop has suddenly started emitting very short beeps. It's definitely not the system beep, but a very short sound, almost a "blip" which occurs randomly, but usually soon after booting up (so probably not heat-related either). No other symptoms, everything seems to work ok (famous last words!). It seems to come from deep within the bowels of the machine, not from the speakers (which are always turned off anyway).
Santiago

« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2009, 05:13:56 pm »

Simple stuff first then.
Disconnect from the power supply and remove the battery for a couple of minutes.
Refit the battery and try it again. If the same beeping occurs then,while running on the power supply, remove the battery and try it like that.

Recent experience has taught me that battery issues can cause some really weird problems. 
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2009, 09:11:15 pm »

Without knowing more about the type of sound it's difficult to say.  You could try turning the laptop up so the base is facing towards you and listening for the location of the sound.  Then check the plastic (or manual) to see what is located in that rea.  I'd also be inclined to run a check on the hard disk to see if there are any errors as that and the cd drive are about the only things I can think of which have mechanical parts - which might be where the "blip" is eminating from.
FatherJack

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2009, 08:52:24 am »

Tried the battery suggestion..  didn't make any real difference, but thanks anyway! Turned it upside down and identified the area which is giving the problem - - the drives! There are two arranged in RAID 0 so it might be difficult to test just one at a time. However, a trawl round the net has thrown up the fact that these drives (WD Scorpio Black) seem to be prone to this just before failure! Which also happens quite a lot apparently. I shall go away and give them a good stiff talking to! The noise doesn't seem to occur particularly when the drives are working hard, just randomly.
Santiago

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2009, 09:21:18 am »

*stating the bleeding obvious* Might be wise to get your data off those drives before they do fail
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2009, 01:16:42 pm »

And if possible image the drives.  Most laptops these days don't come with an OS disk they come with a recovery disk instead.  This recovery disk reinstalls the OS & OEM installed software from a copy stored on a hidden partition on the hard drive.  If your HD fails though you have a problem!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: