Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » USENET: newsgroups going to require re-subscription
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: USENET: newsgroups going to require re-subscription  (Read 3692 times)
dgdclynx
« on: May 07, 2009, 06:55:23 pm »

I will just paste this in from Service Status before it vanishes from view...

Planned Usenet Maintenance - Monday 11th May.
When's this work happening?
Monday 11th May.

What does it affect?
Usenet.

How long will it take?
Up to 24 hours.

What does the work involve?
Following discussions with our Usenet supplier, Giganews, we are making some changes to our backend systems. This will involve the IP addresses of the services changing, however the hostname you connect to will remain the same.

Is it likely to cause problems?
We don't think so, however there may be some unforeseen issues such as:

* Your news client starts downloading the headers and/or bodies of messages it has already retrieved.
* Posts that are marked as read become unread.
* Headers appear with missing bodies eg. clicking on a post fails to retrieve the message.

The steps you will need to take following the maintenance to resolve any issues will vary from one news client to the next. One sure-fire way to restore access to all of your groups is to delete the news account from your mail program, recreate it and then resubscribe to all of your groups.

Is there anything else I need to know?
No.

Kind Regards,

Chris Parr
Customer Support

bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2009, 07:09:01 pm »

Hopefully we shouldn't see the problems we've had in the past following a change as theoretically all the article numbering should stay the same. We're sticking with Giganews, just consolidating our three accounts (MAAF, Metronet & Plusnet) into two.

Having said that, there's no telling what some clients might make of the change to the back end IP. That's why we've posted that announcement really - just to be on the safe side.

jelv1

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2009, 08:13:17 pm »

Since when have service status announcements disappeared from view?

Proof: http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/?skip=5900

jelv
dgdclynx
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2009, 10:17:08 pm »

Since when have service status announcements disappeared from view?

Proof: http://usertools.plus.net/status/archive/?skip=5900

John, I should have said entered the archive.
Wilf21

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2009, 10:50:37 am »

Is this the reason why access to all plusnet NGs seems to have disappeared from usenet.plus.net this morning (Mon 11 May)?   Having discovered this, I did redownload all the NGs this morning and all the plusnet ones have gone.

Using Thunderbird 2.0.0.21 as client.

Should I delete and re-setup the news server access? 

spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2009, 01:58:11 pm »

A Service Status has been issued concerning this - see Problems accessing USENET services (56479) and later Update.

More news expected later today.
Wilf21

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2009, 03:22:18 pm »

ah, ok thanks.  Probably explains why the server is asking for authentication, too.
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2009, 10:38:45 pm »

The problem was believed to have been fixed by 6:15PM (Service Status link).
MauriceB
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2009, 10:45:32 pm »

Aye!  But then it got sick again later in the evening.  James has just posted an update here at 22:47.  I've been testing / checking for a wee while and things are definitely better at the mo cool

Maurice
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: