Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » 550 Relay Not Allowed
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 550 Relay Not Allowed  (Read 4488 times)
CP

« on: May 06, 2008, 05:24:44 pm »

I'm a new user to this forum so you may have already covered this.  When travelling with my laptop I often get the message 550 Relay not Allowed.  I can receive emails but not send.  Yet on other days it is fine.  Does anyone else have this problem?  it is incredibly frustrating.
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2008, 06:48:49 pm »

For spam prevention reasons the relay servers will not allow messages to be sent by unauthenticated users when not connected through a PlusNet connection.

Though it is not an "announced" service (so could be withdrawn if problems crop up) you will find that you can send emails while roaming if you set up your email client to use authenticated SMTP. You *must* use the broadband account name and password for this (not a mailbox name and its password), and remember it is authenticated but not encrypted, so ensure that Logon using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) is *not* ticked (either for POP3/IMAP or SMTP).

Authenticated SMTP will work when connected through a PlusNet or non-PlusNet connection so you can try out your settings before they are needed for real.
CP

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2008, 03:03:06 pm »

Thanks for your suggestion

I will try that
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: