Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Firefox ad-blocker
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Firefox ad-blocker  (Read 3931 times)
poppy

« on: August 25, 2007, 12:14:32 pm »

I use Firefox as my default browser, with no ad-ons.  I was just wondering if the ad-blocker would prevent the floating ads that sometimes appear on certain sites. If not, is there anything that will prevent these 'floaters'?

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
billbow

« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2007, 10:35:02 pm »

I use adblock https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10 it works for me  graduate

Bill
MetroNet
petervaughan
Usergroup Member

« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 10:53:54 pm »

If you mean the ones that make certain words into pop-up adds then no, there is nothing t stop them that I am aware of.

The ad-blocker above allows you to block adds from certain source addresses.
poppy

« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2007, 07:44:01 am »

Thanks for the replies. The floaters (or banners) that I refer to are the ones that come up with things like 'Congratulations - you have won.....'  Obviously I don't click on them and if you exit the page they go with it.  The previous firewall that I used had a tick box for banner ads but it wasn't ticked by default and I think it was problematic.  Anyway, I will have a go with Adblock and see what happens.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
mikeb

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 02:11:15 pm »

I find that checking the standard "block popup windows" in Tools/Options/Content prevents the vast majority of the really annoying stuff and providing that selected sites are listed as 'exceptions' then it doesn't cause undue problems with sites that use popup windows to launch genuine content.  I certainly don't get sufficient ads sneaking through to cause to me go looking for anything more picky about what it allows but I have made a note of the adblocker add-on should the need ever arise Smiley  I do wish there was some way of disabling all the enormous, stupid and resource hungry flash banners tho as they're a right old PITA on ye olde 'puter !  Maybe adblocker can help here because I find Zonealarm Pro is a bit iffy in that respect so I rarely try to use it now.  I feel a bit of investigation coming on sometime ...

--
WARNING: The e-mail address on my profile is not my usual address, all messages sent via this site have been redirected elsewhere for test purposes. This could result in messages not being received in a timely manner or potentially not being received at all.
Matt_2k34

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 10:06:22 pm »

"no Script" is supposed to block "floating" popups (java kind)

however i have never used this so i could not tell you of personal experience. might be worth a look tho.

-----------
=)
billbow

« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2007, 10:10:44 pm »

Yep got that one as well - both highly recommended and both easily customisable with black and white lists  thumbup

Bill
MetroNet
poppy

« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2007, 10:47:40 am »

Have just downloaded the Vista compatible Zone Alarm (free edition) and I think that it says that the paid for version blocks these.  I am not 100% sure so will do some more reading up.
 undecided

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
petervaughan
Usergroup Member

« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2007, 03:21:31 pm »

Forget ZomeeAlarm. The ad-blocking does not work and causes more problems than it solves. ZA as a firewall works very well, as anything else it's a mess.
poppy

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2007, 06:42:30 pm »

OK, will do - help appreciated.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
Matt_2k34

« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2007, 03:09:15 pm »

Same goes for outpost firewall (although that one is difficult to setup ! Smiley )

-----------
=)
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: