Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Spam/Email Deliverables Update
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Spam/Email Deliverables Update  (Read 15598 times)
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2007, 02:34:35 pm »

Any update?

I guess the answer must be *no*.

David
MauriceB
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: August 11, 2007, 04:18:09 pm »

Status on PUGIT Issue 155 and PUGIT Issue 201 reverted to 'Open' to reflect lack of response
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2007, 01:27:23 pm »

In fact an update was provided yesterday on the Community site simply reporting the situation as unchanged from that of a month ago posted above.  A further update was promised for next week.

Please see the PUGit 201/155 topic in the PUGit Comments forum for more information and add any comments there.
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2007, 04:05:26 pm »

I know Colin's off on leave towards the end of this week too so we might be delayed some more I'm afraid Sad

poppy

« Reply #19 on: August 22, 2007, 07:20:17 am »

I am hesitant to start off yet another thread on spam so I hope that nobody minds my entering into this one. I renamed my default mailbox (no change of username) a month or two ago and didn't use it as I had opened a gmail account and frankly didn't trust the system after the breach.  The box remained entirely empty.  I then decided to take the offer of the domain name at the last minute on 20th August 2007 and by yesterday morning it was all up and running.  Imagine my surprise and dismay) when, well within 12 hours of this I started to receive spam again.  I have spoken to someone at PN who thinks that it will stop (there was some more this morning) but I am totally astounded by this.  I don't know to whom they are addressed as I don't open them and delete  from SM.  Does anybody know what's going on?  If it's not sorted I will have to ditch the domain and stick with my gmail account.  I am, as they say, sick as a parrot!
Please move the post if it is inappropriate in this section.
 cry
« Last Edit: August 22, 2007, 07:21:49 am by poppy »

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
pjemmanuel

« Reply #20 on: August 22, 2007, 10:38:19 am »

Now that you have renamed your default mailbox, have you considered redirecting the old default mailbox to the blackhole address?

This would at least rule out that route for spam mail. If you go into the mail management settings, then add a redirect for the address that used to be your default mailbox, there should be a button to blackhole the address.

Phil
PlusNet Premier Option 1
poppy

« Reply #21 on: August 22, 2007, 10:56:24 am »

Thank you for the reply PJ. I gather from this that you think they are probably coming to the previous address, not the new one. I have spoken to a staff member so maybe he will have done this for me but I will check. I had it in mind that maybe a change to a Plusnet account might be useful but am not sure whether this is allowed due to the work involved.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2007, 03:52:33 pm »

If you check the headers (within SM) the first line you see should be an "Envelope-to:" entry that shows the actual email address that particular message was sent to; the "To:" line might contain something different.  The mailbox it ends up in is determined by your Manage my Mail settings.

If SM is set to show messages in text format viewing that text and headers - but avoiding clicking links and attachments - should not place your computer at risk.
jazz

« Reply #23 on: August 22, 2007, 06:19:31 pm »

Sorry to hear that you have started to receive spam again straight after registering a free domain.  Does sound a bit fishy and I can't believe the two are not connected.  I followed the advice of pjemmanuel on this forum about a month ago and renamed my catchall then redirected the old one to abuse@blackhole.plusnet.com and I haven't received any spam since.  I've even turned the PlusNet spam filter off as I don't need it and I don't want to accidentally lose any wrongly tagged mail.  I didn't take up the domain offer as that seemed to me more likely to become spammed in the future.  Doesn't the information from a domain registration get published somewhere??  Hope you can get to the bottom of the problem and return to a quiet life. sad
neilarmstrong

« Reply #24 on: August 22, 2007, 06:26:38 pm »

I had a similar issue where I registered a new domain for a friend using uk2.net and they received spam to their new domain and the contact details for the domain within hours. Something wrong somewhere...

Neil Armstrong
Products Director
PlusNet
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2007, 12:36:43 am »

Also if the domain you registered was previously used by someone else who didn't renew it you might get spam/legit e-mail intended for them.
poppy

« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2007, 07:33:33 am »

Thank you for your replies.  I can't tell what's happening at the moment because the e-mail is down. If I get anymore I will have to either open them to look at the headers or download to Windows Mail to look at the addressee. If it is the new domain name then I will probably ditch it which will be a shame because I really like it. I am hoping that it is to the old address and Plusnet have switched it off (I did report it straight away). I will probably revert to my gmail address if it is going to be a problem again, although I dislike the complexity of their webmail.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
poppy

« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2007, 02:11:05 pm »

Jazz's experience of renaming the default account is the same as mine - it was completely clear prior to having the domain (should have left it as it was).  However, having opened and checked the headers, Northbritish is correct - they were intended for the previous owner of the domain.  I gather thatI now have to ask to have 'catch all' switched off.  Is there anything else I should know please? 

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #28 on: August 24, 2007, 12:40:22 am »

If the spam to your new domain is to a targeted name you could create a mailbox for that name then blackhole it.  Or setting this up as an alias of another mailbox that is blackholed should serve the same purpose.

Then you could leave catch-all on.
poppy

« Reply #29 on: August 24, 2007, 07:26:02 am »

This sounds like a good idea so thank you for the suggestion.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  

Jump to: