Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Training spam filter - any point?
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
  Print  
Author Topic: Training spam filter - any point?  (Read 167998 times)
mikeb

« Reply #225 on: December 23, 2007, 12:48:42 am »

Here is the spam stats for this week. I doubt it will come as a surprise to anyone to see that the graph has had to be rescaled due to the volume this week !  Never mind the turkey, no shortage of xmas spam to be had. yum.yum.yum.

As usual, black lines are targeted spam to several individual compromised addresses/mailboxes, red line is total targeted spam, blue line is random spam to one previously compromised old a/c, X axis is weeks since Spam Day (13th May). Note that I have PN dspam (or whatever) filtering disabled so only the 1st line mandatory filtering on receipt can potentially affect the amount of spam received.

--
WARNING: The e-mail address on my profile is not my usual address, all messages sent via this site have been redirected elsewhere for test purposes. This could result in messages not being received in a timely manner or potentially not being received at all.
mikeb

« Reply #226 on: December 30, 2007, 12:12:23 am »

Here is the spam stats for this week and another rescale needed Sad So lots and lots more spam for your viewing pleasure and the New Year sales haven't even started yet !

As usual, black lines are targeted spam to several individual compromised addresses/mailboxes, red line is total targeted spam, blue line is random spam to one previously compromised old a/c, X axis is weeks since Spam Day (13th May). Note that I have PN dspam (or whatever) filtering disabled so only the 1st line mandatory filtering on receipt can potentially affect the amount of spam received.

--
WARNING: The e-mail address on my profile is not my usual address, all messages sent via this site have been redirected elsewhere for test purposes. This could result in messages not being received in a timely manner or potentially not being received at all.
mikeb

« Reply #227 on: January 06, 2008, 12:38:35 am »

Here is the spam stats for this week.  Spam targeted to webmail compromised addresses continues to rise ... must be all those shiny new Xmas PCs ripe for being taken over by Mr.Spam-Bot !

This could well be the last graph BTW as there is a malicious rumour that one of the A/Cs being monitored is most likely to get postinied next week.  This will make the existing graph look at bit strange to say the least due to the fact that data is gathered from more than 1 A/C and the curves tend to represent 'types' of spam rather than total spam per A/C. I might come up with a new graph or I might just take the opportunity throw in the towel but I'll wait and see what happens first to establish if it's really worth putting in any more effort.

Technically, of course, what it should mean is that the BLUE curve will immediately fall to around 2% of it's present level and the RED curve to around 40% although something tells me that only a fool would believe that prediction will come true tongue  So who's foolish brave enough to put their own money on the curve(s) indicating anything close to the 98% detection rate with 0.0003% false positives SLA ?  If it helps, there can be no false positives on the A/C likely to be changed over as it receives 100% spam so all that will be revealed is the detection rate on spam that is actually delivered rather than dumped/rejected on receipt. Should be interesting .....

--
quaint1

« Reply #228 on: January 06, 2008, 09:02:49 am »

Thanks, mikeb, for some very interesting stats over the past seven months or so.  clap

They have helped me to retain my sanity knowing that a) my own experiences were not alone and b) that someone is keeping an eye on the efforts by PN to 'contain' the problem.

Once again, many thanks and a happy & spam reduced new year.

Ian
jelv1

« Reply #229 on: January 06, 2008, 10:26:17 am »

I'm just getting myself organised to monitor counts on some compromised email addresses. ...

<snip>

Edit: Just realised I've put this in the wrong topic:

The post can be found here
« Last Edit: January 06, 2008, 10:30:08 am by jelv1 »

jelv
mikeb

« Reply #230 on: January 20, 2008, 12:56:31 pm »

Well, as sort of predicted no pretty graphs recently because it all unfortunately got more than a bit screwed up due to the postini changeover happening - or rather not quite happening and then not quite happening for a second time but slightly more happening than the first time ... or something like that anyway plus a few other miscellaneous issues for good measure rolleyes

What I can say is that spam volume for 2 weeks ago (Week 35, ending 12th January) was generally pretty d@mn big and roughly following the trend indicated by previous weeks.  Spam volume for last week (Week 36, ending 19th January) generally showed a distinct drop, around a 50% drop in fact, particularly for spam targeted to webmail compromised addresses/mboxes and this was on ALL A/Cs so it wasn't directly related to postini activity on some addresses/mboxs. Presumably, all the shiny new spambots acquired over the Xmas period have now found their way onto RBLs various.

I'm still collecting lots of data and the postini data is particularly 'interesting' but as it's all somewhat misleading during the transition period, I'm not going to post anything just yet.  This coming week should be the first complete week without dubious PN problems resulting in dodgy data so expect shiny new go-faster graph(s) coming RSN and all that cool
« Last Edit: January 20, 2008, 01:03:51 pm by mikeb »

--
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #231 on: January 29, 2008, 02:58:55 pm »

See thread Postini Performance Stats (Various) for the "shiny new go-faster graph(s)".

David
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16]
  Print  

Jump to: