Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Business Users Forum » Why is USENET so slow?
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why is USENET so slow?  (Read 7441 times)
jabns

« on: May 24, 2007, 10:10:53 pm »

Why is USENET access so slow on a business premium account? For the last 5 days i have been only able to download at 25kbps.  unacceptable and why is it so slow?

Many thanks,
James Barlow

jabns

« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2007, 02:31:11 am »

Code:
Differentiated Services Field: 0x20 (DSCP 0x08: Class Selector 1; ECN: 0x00)

EDIT: The above was taken from a wireshark packet capture at around 2AM which is off peak!

angry

What is the above??? I know that 0x80 is gold and 0x40 is silver so i assume that is bronze or maybe even worse  shocked.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2007, 10:13:52 am by jabns »

kitz

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2007, 11:14:33 am »

Need Carl to have a look at that.  TBH I dont know what Usnet should be in on Business accounts - but it doesnt look right.

Can one of the PN guys give CN a poke to check on this please.

Dont forget the Geeks!
kitz 2005
nsilverwood
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2007, 12:36:42 pm »

Hi

Usenet is in bronze for business accounts. Having said that I wouldn't expect you to receive such slow speeds at 2am. Can you please bear with me over the weekend to give me time to analyse. I'll come back to you on Tuesday to discuss our findings and options for improvements. The simple fix would be just to move it to silver however I can't make that change just before a bank holiday.

Thanks
jabns

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2007, 05:44:19 pm »

Thanks both of you. Its just that obviously some people like me work from home and after 5pm we do have to use the internet for personal things such as gaiming and usenet. I do fully understand that it should be limited during the peak hours but at night and the weekend it would be nice to get above 2kbps-25kbps  wink .

Many thanks,
James Barlow

Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 12:29:26 pm »

Hi

Usenet is in bronze for business accounts.

Used to be Gold, then got downgraded secretly to Silver and now bronze... my how I so wish I stayed at PlusNet paying them 50 a month for a bronze service ...... NOT   grin grin grin

jabns

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 10:02:20 pm »

Exactly!

I have just begun the migration progress to another ISP that does not throttle or port limit any traffic.

After 4 years the quality has plumited.

50 with force9 = c**p service

2 accounts already gone.

James Barlow

Matt_2k34

« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2007, 02:06:02 am »

I Only Hope PN are taking note: Usenet on residential services suck too!

PN *clearly* cant have anywhere near enough capacity to allow people to get some speed even at off peak times. i think there should be some signing on the dotted line to BT and get (at least) another central involved at PN !?

-----------
=)
dgdclynx

Marty the house cat

« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2007, 08:18:35 am »

Speaking as a residential customer if you find Text Usenet slow you probably need more memory in your PC.

Douglas Clark ..................... Bath, Somerset, UK ......
http://usergroup.plus.net .......... http://www.dgdclynx.plus.com
jabns

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2007, 01:10:18 pm »

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I should'nt think it would be the memory because i have 2GB of it running at 900Mhz. And my Core 2 Duo is currently running at 3.2Ghtz  grin.

Yeah ethereal was saying it was on bronze but what i don't understand is that it changed on a daily basis  huh.

I moved two lines on to Bonded MAX so getting a nice speed of 12-14MB and uploads of 1.6MB fo 50/m  grin .

**************************************************************************************************************
PN/F9 are getting worse by the day and it is not going to get any better now BT own them(just a hint). It was a nice 4 years though(on the best account other than SDSL). You can add all the fancy features but unless you have the capacity to complete your main service(the internet) it useless to have CGI,PHP,WEBMAIL,EMAIL.

I gained 1MB in speed as soon as the transfer happened. Something tells me all the segments on all there centrals are full or they just don't want to provision the rest of the capacity.
**************************************************************************************************************
Thanks everyone,
James Barlow
« Last Edit: June 02, 2007, 01:18:50 pm by jabns »

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: