Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Webstats late?
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Webstats late?  (Read 153384 times)
dgdclynx
« Reply #120 on: June 08, 2007, 01:10:49 pm »

Thomas Kuglin's thread in the Discussion Forums is worrying. But I was pleased to see the Service Status this morning.

Thomas....
 http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=55954

« Last Edit: June 08, 2007, 01:18:45 pm by dgdclynx »
dgdclynx
« Reply #121 on: June 17, 2007, 07:32:31 am »

No webstats at 7.30.   Umm.
Penny

« Reply #122 on: June 17, 2007, 07:54:27 am »

No webstats at 7.30.   Umm.

Yes, I'd noticed that also.  Didn't quite like to mention it .... and last time the script seemed to have flagged it up fairly promptly.

Nothing visible on service status, however, though maybe the network maintenance yesterday ("customer websites hosted on our homepages platform may also be inaccessible for a short period of time") might have some bearing on webstats being a bit delayed, perhaps.

Regards,

Penny.

Penny Rollo       Force 9 from 17/02/98       PlusNet from 2000 onwards     
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages http://www.happychild.org.uk
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
dgdclynx
« Reply #123 on: June 17, 2007, 11:02:12 am »

CSC have replied to my ticket and webstats are already being generated. Should be here this afternoon.
Penny

« Reply #124 on: June 17, 2007, 02:29:44 pm »

CSC have replied to my ticket and webstats are already being generated. Should be here this afternoon.

Cheers Douglas.  Webstats arrived here about an hour back.

Regards,

Penny.

dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #125 on: June 17, 2007, 10:48:32 pm »

Forgot to reply here earlier, the network guys spotted something this morning (not sure if it was the maintenance as I didn't get chance to ask) that's caused the stats to be late, should all be there now though.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
mikeb

« Reply #126 on: July 03, 2007, 08:43:21 am »

Well, it seems like service.status got in first this morning  grin

There is one other thing re: stats that I think I've found recently.  I have reason to believe (and could most likely prove it if necessary) that there are occasions when some accesses to webspace do not appear in the logs.

Over the last few days I have had a very carefully managed number of people DLing a large(ish) file from my webspace.  I'm almost 100% certain that I would have heard by now if any of them hadn't got the file for any reason before I blocked each of them individually from accessing it after a reasonable period of time.  However, some of these DLs don't appear in the logfiles.  Are there are any known issues with random missing data at the mo ?
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 08:45:56 am by mikeb »

--
WARNING: The e-mail address on my profile is not my usual address, all messages sent via this site have been redirected elsewhere for test purposes. This could result in messages not being received in a timely manner or potentially not being received at all.
Penny

« Reply #127 on: July 03, 2007, 01:16:09 pm »

... I have reason to believe (and could most likely prove it if necessary) that there are occasions when some accesses to webspace do not appear in the logs.

AFAIK this has been an ongoing issue for a long time, Mike.  As far as I understand it, there are "feeds" from the six (?) homepages servers to the webstats, and for whatever reason/s, data from all six doesn't always get incorporated into the daily stats (and presumably logs).

In the last couple of years it's been rare to get a long run of consistently-accurate / complete webstats, but the last half of June was notably better than for some time, so I assume someone in Networks has been working towards improving things Smiley

Regards,

Penny.

MauriceB
Administrator

« Reply #128 on: July 03, 2007, 01:43:37 pm »

I do keep 'bumping' PUGIT Issue 284 whenever it looks like being closed grin

See Ian's latest response this morning.  Things just might happen. cool
Penny

« Reply #129 on: July 03, 2007, 02:02:16 pm »

I do keep 'bumping' PUGIT Issue 284 whenever it looks like being closed grin

Cheers Maurice.  The PERL script has made a lot of difference in safeguarding continuity of the webstats being generated, but would be good if the other issues could be dealt with in due course.

I'd (somehow) missed your PUGIT post on 4th May -

any worthwhile OSS system would have little problem in co-ordinating the output from such a small group of servers?

Put like that it does seem strange that the outputs from all six homepages servers don't consistently materialise in the stats/logs, but ISTR from threads a long way back, that there's some fairly complex system for coordinating outputs from the homepages servers between three (?) Webstats servers any of which can be the "master server" at any given time (I think).  All a bit over my head, really, both then and now  rolleyes

Would be good though if the technical aspects can be sorted so everything works reliably Smiley

Regards,

Penny.

bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #130 on: July 03, 2007, 02:40:52 pm »

Hi Penny,

The problem on this occasion occurred after Ben cut the ccgi vservers across from the old platform yesterday.

This morning ccgi01 didn't send logs to the Webstats server. This will have been due to the fact that sending of logs will have been enabled on both ccgi01 (new) and ptn-ccgi01 (old) and the FTP server will only have allowed one connection.

Ben's disabled sending of the logs from the old server so this should be OK now.

BTW, stats should be available now.

Edit: Scrap that last comment. Doesn't look like they've arrived yet.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 03:01:54 pm by bpullen »

Penny

« Reply #131 on: July 03, 2007, 04:08:33 pm »

Hi Penny,
The problem on this occasion occurred after Ben cut the ccgi vservers across from the old platform yesterday.

Appreciate the explanation, Bob.  I have the impression that Webstats content is affected by all sorts of different things at various times, whether routine maintenance or something more major, but overall things do seem to be progressively / intermittently, improving.

The primary factor (for me, anyway) is that the stats are now generated consistently (sometimes later in the day but there, regardless).  End result is that the cumulative figures are beginning to show a more complete picture again.  On balance it's probably only average 70-80% of actual usage, overall, but regardless it's a more consistent picture which is easier to work with than one where there are whole-day-stats periodically missing.

100% would be good Smiley  but I understand that's possibly not achievable given the knock-on effect on Webstats of anything else that happens across the network as a whole.

Regards,

Penny.

mikeb

« Reply #132 on: July 03, 2007, 07:27:46 pm »

AFAIK this has been an ongoing issue for a long time, Mike.  As far as I understand it, there are "feeds" from the six (?) homepages servers to the webstats, and for whatever reason/s, data from all six doesn't always get incorporated into the daily stats (and presumably logs).

Thanks for that. I knew that there had been problems in the dim and distant past as I'd noticed specific DLs missing from logs before but I thought it had been sorted ages ago TBH. Obviously not.

I guess Sod's Law says that if I assume an 80% logging rate and allow an increase in DLs accordingly, an excess BW snot-a-gram will be winging it's way to an inbox near me real soon so probably best left as it is !  Now, if only I could find a way to direct all connections to the non-reporting server(s), I most certainly wouldn't have to manage and manually load-balance my DLers anything like so carefully as I'm currently having to tongue 

Logfiles turned up just before 1700 btw Smiley
« Last Edit: July 03, 2007, 07:30:39 pm by mikeb »

--
WARNING: The e-mail address on my profile is not my usual address, all messages sent via this site have been redirected elsewhere for test purposes. This could result in messages not being received in a timely manner or potentially not being received at all.
dgdclynx
« Reply #133 on: July 04, 2007, 07:36:22 am »

Not turned up yet today.
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #134 on: July 04, 2007, 09:25:35 am »

Damn, you beat me by 7 minutes  wink

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: