Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Mail Avalanche
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Mail Avalanche  (Read 30286 times)
Penny

somewhat challenged as regards tech capability :/

« on: December 06, 2006, 02:46:22 pm »

OE is currently downloading 4053 emails on the F9 account here - last downloaded mail approx 12 hours ago.

Mail volumes lately seem to have been inordinately high but this is something else :/  Anyone else seeing mail loads like this?

Penny.

MauriceB
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2006, 03:14:50 pm »

Not for me Penny (Plusnet Premier) - even the SPAM seems to have abated?

Maurice
Penny

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2006, 03:42:16 pm »

... even the SPAM seems to have abated?
Maurice

Well I know where it's gone then laugh   appreciate the reply, Maurice.

Slightly frayed at the edges here.  OE gave up trying to download the messages after approx 90 minutes (had got to around 1600 by then, but of course they won't clear down until the whole block is sorted out).  Trashed 400-ish via Webmail (slow-and-tedious process) which then told me the Inbox was empty.

Of course it isn't, and Webmail has eventually reloaded to tell me I have 4055 messages which is more than what I started with Tongue

Something tells me it's going to be a long day ....

Regards,

Penny.

chillypenguin

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2006, 03:53:13 pm »

Hi Penny

Popcorn is great for sorting out issues like that;
http://www.woundedmoon.org/win32/popcorn.html

Its Freeware (spy and ad free also) for one account.
Development has stopped and you can no longer purchase the multi account version.

Chilly

No Polar Bears were harmed in making this post.
"Not free from Faults, nor yet too vain to mend."
The Flying Gribble

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2006, 03:54:57 pm »

Try Mailwasher.  It displays the header for info without downloading the entire message, then you can easily delete the ones you don't want.

http://www.mailwasher.net/
dgdclynx

Marty the house cat

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2006, 03:57:33 pm »

My email address is run by spammers. Mailwasher Pro saves me from the bounces.

Douglas Clark ..................... Bath, Somerset, UK ......
http://usergroup.plus.net .......... http://www.dgdclynx.plus.com
MauriceB
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2006, 03:59:10 pm »

Hi Penny,

You could also try MailMaint

http://www.magsys.co.uk/mailmaint/

I've used it a few times in similar circumstances?

Maurice
Penny

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2006, 04:21:35 pm »

Many thanks for the info, all of you Smiley  seems like I'm going to have to use one or more of these as webmail is adding more quicker than I can delete them :/

However I have some stuff on the hard drive I dare not lose right now (and my capacity to jam up computers when installing things is fairly well known) so I'll ask James (my eldest) to set up one of these when he gets in from work.

Appreciate the help Smiley

Darkness is falling here so I'm off to walk my black labrador, a bit behind schedule but this day hasn't gone quite as planned ..... an avalanche of mail through the letterbox is one thing but this has been quite another - not a birthday I will forget in a hurry Tongue

Regards,

Penny.

jelv1

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2006, 04:22:36 pm »

Magic Mail Monitor is freeware and supports multiple mailboxes - I've used this for several years.

jelv
jelv1

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2006, 04:26:48 pm »

Penny,

Are all of the spams to the same emails address (the part before the @happychild.org.uk)? If so you could perhaps create new mailboxes to receive the spam which would reduce the number of emails to be dealt with in your main mailbox.

jelv
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2006, 04:44:37 pm »

Hi Penny,

If you want to bin the lot then you can try delmail

for a PN account http://usertools.plus.net/delmail/
for an f9 account http://usertools.force9.net/delmail/

You won't be able to read them, but it should be able to delete them all in one go.

You aren't the only one to see an increase on spam, I'm not getting that many yet, but on about 200 or so a day across my addresses and it's just going up all the time.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2006, 04:48:22 pm »

That *will* delete legitimate email as well - it doesn't care.

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Using: Plusnet Extra
dhookham
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2006, 05:29:04 pm »

OE gave up trying to download the messages after approx 90 minutes (had got to around 1600 by then, but of course they won't clear down until the whole block is sorted out

If you find yourself with only OE to do this with in the future (and I'd advise at least something to catch the spam before it gets to OE - if nothing else, it will reduce your bandwidth usage if you don't download the bodies, and these days every little helps grin ), then set it going, but stop it partway through the downloading (from the send/receive window) - OE will then close the mail session properly and the downloaded items will be zapped. If OE crashes, or the send/receive breaks mid-activity, the downloaded messages never get dealt with on the server.

However, the alternatives above are better worth investigating. When I used OE, I used to swear by Mailwasher (turn off the bounce setting though), but there are other things available, usually with active names like SPAMbully or SPAMassassin or SPAMbayes, etc.

It's the PlusNet Way
Penny

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2006, 06:49:22 pm »

Thanks to everyone for all the extra solutions Smiley  would be good to get the mail sorted on a permanent basis.

Liked the sound of the "delmail" - never heard of this facility before.  Even if it wipes everything, most of the people who write regularly to the F9 address now also cc to a PlusNet account (because of the problems with mail going adrift previously), so it would give me a means of removing an F9-mail overload without actually losing all the critical stuff.

I cannot *believe* I had never realised that if you actively stop mail half way through a download, it actually wipes that half properly (almost nine years from first using the Internet and e-mail).  Proof if it was ever needed for anyone, how technologically-challenged I am Tongue

I'm going to print out this thread so as to keep all the addresses everyone has kindly posted up, and just take this one stage at a time.  In reply to jelv, most of the stuff that comes in here is to random addresses but gets picked up by inbox rules because of content; it was just the sheer volume (over 4000) that OE couldn't apparently cope with.  Using webmail I'd got it down to about 3600 before I went out, and by some miracle it cleared itself (via OE) whilst I was gone.  Dog-walking in wellies in thick mud in the dark isn't my favourite activity but it was a nice surprise when the mail had downloaded when I got back Smiley

However no guarantees that tomorrow isn't going to present more of the same, so hopefully James can get something in place with the mail program tonight to try to get it filtered a bit before tomorrow's downloads..

Thanks again for the help Smiley

Penny.

bud
Usergroup Member

« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2006, 06:57:44 pm »

I was getting hundreds of spam and bounce messages to one of my domains every hour, so I killed my catch all mailbox and set up mailboxes for the addresses I use.  If the mail isn't for one of the mailboxes now it gets bounced.  Result was cutting spam down to around 10 every 3 or 4 hours.

I have since implemented this on a couple of other accounts I administrate for people and they are much happier with the reduced numbers of spam.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: