Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Todays roll out - Slow speeds
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  
Author Topic: Todays roll out - Slow speeds  (Read 76924 times)
Oldjim

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2006, 10:27:38 am »

Jim. There is something called Pareto's Law which says that in any population 10 to 20% will grab 80 to 90% of the resources. It is an economic law but is found to apply to most situations. So according to it whenever PN get rid of the 5% another 5% will take their place.
PN cant blame the current situation on the 5%. They have to accomodate the entire customer base.
Doug,
That wasn't quite the point I was trying to make. it was the fact that the two sets of figures for the same period (Oct/Nov 2005) are markedly different.
5.36GB increasing to 8GB for 0-90% premier and 10.98GB increasing to 15GB for all premier
neilarmstrong

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2006, 10:39:16 am »

They have to accomodate the entire customer base.

Found a customer doing 1.2TB of FTP this month. Yes, that's TB not GB. I don't think we'll be accommodating him.

Neil Armstrong
Products Director
PlusNet
jelv1

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2006, 10:45:46 am »

Neil,

That post is a damming indictment of your failure to manage the platform properly - how the .... did he get away with it?

jelv
godsell4

« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2006, 10:47:38 am »

Have the police been informed? I'd like to hear how this is legitimate usage unless that person works for Cray Research or is a part of SETI.

SW.

BBYW1/10GB
neilarmstrong

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2006, 10:51:53 am »

That post is a damming indictment of your failure to manage the platform properly - how the .... did he get away with it?

It's not often you and I agree wink But in this case I'll make an exception, hence the paragraph on 'lack of proper housekeeping' that we published yesterday. It simply should not be possible to do this. By updating our automated rules and having manual safety-net reporting as well we won't allow customers to detrimentally impact the experience of others. (He is a business customers so all his FTP is in gold, nice.)

Neil Armstrong
Products Director
PlusNet
Oldjim

« Reply #20 on: November 28, 2006, 11:01:54 am »

A quick calculation - if correct - shows this is equivalent to downloading plus uploading at about 4270kb/s for the first 26 days of this month 24/7
How the devil did he manage that.
Oldjim

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2006, 11:14:40 am »

I don't usually link to the other place - but this post gives very useful information on speed testing linky
dgdclynx
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2006, 11:18:31 am »

Jim. There is something called Pareto's Law which says that in any population 10 to 20% will grab 80 to 90% of the resources. It is an economic law but is found to apply to most situations. So according to it whenever PN get rid of the 5% another 5% will take their place.
PN cant blame the current situation on the 5%. They have to accomodate the entire customer base.
Doug,
That wasn't quite the point I was trying to make. it was the fact that the two sets of figures for the same period (Oct/Nov 2005) are markedly different.
5.36GB increasing to 8GB for 0-90% premier and 10.98GB increasing to 15GB for all premier

The lower set of figures tie in with what I know. The higher figures dont make sense.
Oldjim

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2006, 11:22:07 am »

But the higher figures are taken directly from the graphs in the latest announcement which are headed
Average Usage (GB per customer per month) trends (corrected to include all data from Aug, Sept & Oct)

Hence my questioning the basis used
dhookham
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2006, 01:08:18 pm »

A quick calculation - if correct - shows this is equivalent to downloading plus uploading at about 4270kb/s for the first 26 days of this month 24/7
How the devil did he manage that.

Short bathroom breaks?

It's the PlusNet Way
kitz

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2006, 04:08:01 pm »

I don't usually link to the other place....[/url]

Well theres always the list of speedtesters thats up on my site you could have posted :p
http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/speeds.htm

2nd section gives links to ftp,p2p etc.

-------------

oh... btw.. the fuller/ocean zen..  whilst works well for zen customers - outside users can often get spikes - been like that for well over a year.
Something to do with Zen routing and the different way that someone from an outide ISP comes in over a different link than a zen customers routing which is still within their own network. Spent quite a bit of time looking into that about a year ago.

Dont forget the Geeks!
kitz 2005
godsell4

« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2006, 05:41:36 pm »

Short bathroom breaks?

Would that be a short break to go to the bathroom, or a short break from being in the bathroom?  undecided

SW.

BBYW1/10GB
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2006, 05:49:28 pm »

It's a computer, it can download without him being there :d

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Using: Plusnet Extra
dgdclynx
« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2006, 05:59:33 pm »

But the higher figures are taken directly from the graphs in the latest announcement which are headed
Average Usage (GB per customer per month) trends (corrected to include all data from Aug, Sept & Oct)

Hence my questioning the basis used

Jim. I went back to the graph and now believe the figures are accurate.
Oldjim

« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2006, 08:29:05 pm »

Doug,
Which ones - those given at the time of the 1% clarification in December last year or the latest figures.
If it is the latest figures I have to ask how this affects the justification for dumping the top 1% and also why the usergroup were apparently given duff information
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10
  Print  

Jump to: