Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Broadband Platform Traffic Management
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Broadband Platform Traffic Management  (Read 95910 times)
jelv1

« Reply #45 on: November 22, 2006, 04:54:39 pm »

Ive said before I feel you went wrong with the BB+ account and the early claims. Theres very little profit in this account yet too many users "abused" it trying to get out what they could simply because no strict limits were set.
Therefore can you really blame anyone for at least trying it on?

Absolutely right. When BB+ came out there were many people asking why should you pay more for Premier (or PAYG with an extra allowance) when BB+ would let you do whatever you wanted. In spite of it being repeatedly stated that BB+ "is not suitable for data-intensive applications such as file-sharing and large downloads", people are going to ask why a few months ago they were getting reasonable speeds and now they are not.

It seems to me that at peak times, to make sure everything else runs correctly, P2P must run incredibly slowly for BB+ users - probably around the 1KBs that I've seen being reported or even slower. At that speed what is the point of trying to run it. You might as well totally block the protocol at peak times and be done with it - make it a change to the AUP/SUP, let people out of their one year contracts. Looking around some will find that rather than leaving they'd do better to upgrade and pay a realistic price for the usage they need.

jelv
Laser

« Reply #46 on: November 22, 2006, 09:02:26 pm »

I don't really want to stick a spanner in the works, but to be fair the BB+ package is what first attracted me to PlusNet. It appeared to offer the same or more as the Tiscali etc. deals, but from an ISP with a better reputation. I was originally quite happy, being by and large one of these despised users who just pootle about on the web and check my email. From that POV, PN's strategy worked fine.

Then we saw the degradation in performance. I don't just pootle. I sometimes up or download huuuuuge amounts of data, maybe as much as 3 or 4 MB rolleyes over FTP to maintain external websites. When it got to requiring 20 minutes to do so, I figured a change was in order. (Especially if a, eg, printer manufacturer puts a 30MB driver on an FTP site. Sad )

So now I'm on PAYG and agree entirely with everything else being said on the subject. I particularly don't understand why a PAYG account can do HTTP 10x faster than other traffic. They're my paid-for GB's, what difference does it make?

Still, I am not about to simply jump ship without some thought. 90% of the discussion about how much faster a given ISP is seems to be on the subject of P2P traffic. I do not want to find myself with a service where all the traffic is equally slow, albeit faster than the PN P2P speeds. I don't think PN are making up all of the traffic management justification!

jelv1

« Reply #47 on: November 22, 2006, 10:51:13 pm »

You sound like exactly the sort of person who should be on BB+. That you had to change to PAYG shows the extent to which they have lost the plot.

jelv
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #48 on: November 22, 2006, 11:00:38 pm »

I'm impressed in the way that NeilArmstrong has managed to avoid answering any question that he doesn't like but continues to post.  angry

neilarmstrong

« Reply #49 on: November 23, 2006, 09:37:00 am »

Hi there,
For your information I'm working with the networks team on a detailed Service Status and forum posting to explain all of this and will aim to answer all your questions in there so that all customers can benefit and not just those reading this forum. Expecting to have this drafted for PUG NDA members to feedback later this afternoon, ready for publishing sometime tomorrow.

PS - has everybody seen an improvement in FTP? See attached graphs which hopefully shows it's now fixed. Note big increases in traffic at midday two days ago and then compare the increases in speeds over the last few days.

Neil Armstrong
Products Director
PlusNet
Oldjim

« Reply #50 on: November 23, 2006, 10:10:09 am »

Somewhat puzzled - can anyone explain
Why are there significant peaks in silver ftp at approximately midday and midnight every day - I can understand the after midnight due to the free or off peak downloads starting surely it can't be only non business traffic at midday
Firejack

« Reply #51 on: November 23, 2006, 12:03:09 pm »

PS - has everybody seen an improvement in FTP? See attached graphs which hopefully shows it's now fixed. Note big increases in traffic at midday two days ago and then compare the increases in speeds over the last few days.
Just uploaded a 1MB file to my site to test. Got 33KB/sec transfer speed. Much better the 1.07KB/sec I was getting last week Smiley

EDIT: Should add this was an external FTP site. Not a Plus.net one.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 02:41:39 pm by Firejack »
mikeb

« Reply #52 on: November 23, 2006, 12:27:51 pm »

has everybody seen an improvement in FTP?

Nope not really, pretty much SNAFU here Sad

The upload of a ~1MB test file to homepages.force9.net has just taken 03:16 with the usual one short burst of data every several seconds and huge long pauses of inactivity.  The same file DL'd took between 15 and 30 secs often with a similar erratic transfer rate and long(ish) pauses of inactivity.  Pretty good for a very lightly used 2M line ... NOT although I must say that DL is better than it has been for months as I generally get <<10kB/s at best.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2006, 12:30:05 pm by mikeb »

--
WARNING: The e-mail address on my profile is not my usual address, all messages sent via this site have been redirected elsewhere for test purposes. This could result in messages not being received in a timely manner or potentially not being received at all.
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #53 on: November 23, 2006, 01:02:43 pm »

Well I suppose 0.6k/s is an improvement over nothing at all. rolleyes
Simon Day

« Reply #54 on: November 23, 2006, 01:04:06 pm »

Hi Oldjim,

as you have stated the after-midnight surge is because that is when individual management comes off customers so their previously restricted downloads are no longer restricted and are let loose.

The one at midday is purely a natural traffic pattern.

Hope that helps

Simon

Simon Day
Network Improvement Consultant
PlusNet Plc
neilarmstrong

« Reply #55 on: November 24, 2006, 08:43:03 am »

Expecting to have this drafted for PUG NDA members to feedback later this afternoon, ready for publishing sometime tomorrow.

Quick update on this, am still working on the draft internally - planning to get to PUG this afternoon.

Neil Armstrong
Products Director
PlusNet
hesketh14

« Reply #56 on: November 24, 2006, 03:08:34 pm »

Hi wonder if anyone can advise??

I am on BB+, as I thought this would be the best package for me. I basically surf, send/receive E-Mails, and occ stream movie trailers, and download updates etc. This was fine up until recently, when at peak times, HTTP becomes at best  laggy, trying to download updates or other bits and bobs, the download speed is erratic at best, occ at line speed, more often than not around 150kbs. (Sync 6268kbps). Worse when that is when sites put updates on FTP sites, this is throttled to death. WOuld I be better on broadband PAYG, rather than plus, as my usual monthly usage is around 1-1.3Gb at most?? I have seriously considered moving suppliers. Also my parents are the same, on a fixed 1Mb package on BB+, and they do no real downloading at all, just suft, email, and webcam via MSN, to their daughter in china. Can anyone advise??
godsell4

« Reply #57 on: November 24, 2006, 03:20:32 pm »

You clearly have nothing to lose given PAYG is the same price/month.

Also, if you do have speed issues these are inexcusable on PAYG if the problem is caused by bandwidth capacity problems on the PN network.

First though, type you phone number into this http://usertools.plus.net/exchanges/ and see if your exchange status is Red, if it is, then there is little PN can do about it, but it will be a cause fo poor speeds in the evenings and at weekends. Sad

SW.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2006, 03:37:15 pm by godsell4 »

BBYW1/10GB
hesketh14

« Reply #58 on: November 24, 2006, 03:53:36 pm »

Thanks Godsell. My exchange has been red for ages, but these problems have only come to light over the past 2-3weeks. I think its more to do with plus network capacity than exchnage status, although I am aware that exchange contention will cause some of these problems. I have been off work today, and sppeds have been fine for my profile, until around 2-3ish when downloads are erratic again. BBMax speedtester always shows speeds around the sppeds I would expect for my line profile, but speedtest.net appears to be unreliable now, and adsl guide shows around 2meg in the evening. Weekends, during the day is OK, but after around 9ish these problems reoccur, most times, except last sat, sppeds were perfect, sanday back to the same old same old. I will give PAYG a trial before I jump ship though and see how it goes.
Theo

« Reply #59 on: November 24, 2006, 06:13:44 pm »

I'm on PAYG and I've had no problems recently.  The last DL I tried came down really fast, 200kb/s I think.  I have a long line and the best sync speed I get is aboout 3000 downstream.

I've had all the same nonsense as everyone else with email to my default mailbox, but I moved my hosting and domains in August thank goodness.  I believe its best NOT to have everything from one supplier.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9
  Print  

Jump to: