Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Broadband Platform Traffic Management
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Broadband Platform Traffic Management  (Read 95920 times)
neilarmstrong

« Reply #75 on: December 07, 2006, 02:27:14 pm »

Hi all,

Bob will be posting an updated Service Status shortly following the discovery of a significant issue in our implementation which has been hampering the work we've been doing to improve the experience over the last few weeks.

Also FYI have posted in the portal forums:
http://portal.plus.net/central/forums/viewtopic.php?t=51584&start=150

Neil Armstrong
Products Director
PlusNet
chesterfield

« Reply #76 on: December 07, 2006, 02:27:32 pm »

It really is quite remarkable just how many users have developed massive speed and latency issues all at the same time across the length and breadth of the country and all just happen to be connected to PN's network.

Please could you suggest some ways in which these issues can be resolved by the end users, and what we can do to prevent ourselves all making the same mistake at the same time again.
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #77 on: December 07, 2006, 04:34:03 pm »

Service status has been posted here.

Kind Rgds,

Oldjim

« Reply #78 on: December 07, 2006, 04:45:53 pm »

That is very informative if a bit worrying.
However one thing I am not clear about.
What is the priority given to P2P for PAYG users when it is being paid for.
godsell4

« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2006, 05:36:13 pm »

Have been led to believe in the past p2p is Silver on PAYG. So is Silver PAYG higher priority than Silver Premier?

SW.

BBYW1/10GB
fenlandbroadband

« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2006, 06:26:25 pm »

We are not there yet

No, we know.
neilarmstrong

« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2006, 06:44:37 pm »

PAYG customers should be getting a better P2P peak experience than Premier and they clearly aren't at the moment which we will have fixed early next week. Off-peak it should be identical to Premier light users.

We're intending to publish on the website a matrix of how the protocols / products relate to each other so that everyone can see the relative priorities.

Neil Armstrong
Products Director
PlusNet
fenlandbroadband

« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2006, 06:47:07 pm »

Why does/should a 14.99 (note: no extra GB allowance) PAYG user get a better experience than a 21.99 Premier user?
Oldjim

« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2006, 07:04:23 pm »

Because after he has used 2GB he has to pay way over the odds for every extra GB
fenlandbroadband

« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2006, 07:13:32 pm »

I realise that, but until that person is paying 21.99/month or more, why should they get a better service than someone who is a "Premier" user?

I'm not saying that they shouldn't, but just questioning what Neil has said that "PAYG customers should be getting a better P2P peak experience than Premier".
godsell4

« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2006, 07:21:44 pm »

A Premier user has the *potential* to cost PN a lot more than the amount being paid for. PAYG is more profitable for PN.

SW.

BBYW1/10GB
Oldjim

« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2006, 07:31:20 pm »

That is an interesting point but a much better question is what about the PAYG special offer users who get to download a comparatively large amount with presumably the same priority. Or is the PAYG special offer on different priority to the normal PAYG - as far I can remember the special offer gives a 15GB usage limit for 19.99 which would cost the normal PAYG user 25.49
ian h

« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2006, 08:15:04 pm »

My guess would be that PN have worked out how much bandwidth the average PAYG user consumes, and then simply created an offer that makes it economical for PN.
I read earlier that user uptake is flat at the moment, so PN need to create offers to attract new users who won't consume vast amounts of bandwidth i.e. like a 15 Gb special offer for PAYG users.
Laser

« Reply #88 on: December 08, 2006, 01:16:34 pm »

I realise that, but until that person is paying 21.99/month or more, why should they get a better service than someone who is a "Premier" user?
If you are a premier customer, ask yourself why you are not on a PAYG account. If your average monthly use would cost you more than the 21.99 you pay now, the "premier" package is not as "expensive" as the PAYG one.

On the other hand, you may be asking "why should specifically P2P traffic be better for PAYG on-peak?" The answer to that lies in whatever your beliefs are about whether traffic type prioritisation is acceptable. Most of the arguments in favour of it (i.e. peak time capacity cannot be as big as it needs to be so something has to slow down) lose some of their merit in a PAYG model since traffic used is, to a larger extent, being paid for and wont be used at some other time. A price model with a cap above the real cost relies on some of that use being "free", either by you not using it or by using at at a time when the network would have been idle. The prioritisation would therefore encourage you to follow that desired behaviour.

Personally I'd like to see sufficient bandwidth in place such that when the shaping kicks in it isn't dreadful on any protocol (say 256kbps at absolute worst), and the packages sold with clear peak/off-peak limits that make this viable. If a package is going to get a smaller fraction of the pot (eg PAYG P2P might temporarily get as bad as 512k at peak, whereas BB+ might go to 256k) then this should be clearly indicated as a "network priority" thing and priced accordingly. This whole thing with hoping customers statistically balance out just doesn't work nowadays where too many "average" users sit with a P2P server running (legal or otherwise) and streaming video from websites. Net habits have changed. undecided

fenlandbroadband

« Reply #89 on: December 08, 2006, 02:10:52 pm »

If you are a premier customer, ask yourself why you are not on a PAYG account.

Or even ask myself when I'm still a customer of PlusNet's.

A PAYG account would probably be fine for me. Especially with the "unlimited off-peak usage" that PAYG users get. Only possible downside that I can see is that there aren't as many (any?) free 01/02 UK Landline calls included, but then with PlusTalk so unreliable maybe that doesn't matter either.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
  Print  

Jump to: