Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Broadband Platform Traffic Management
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: Broadband Platform Traffic Management  (Read 95902 times)
godsell4

« Reply #120 on: January 29, 2007, 08:37:05 am »

I do not understand.  undecided

We are told the connection proces is round robin style so why would this happen? Also, if lots of people are dropped from ptn-ag2, and then reconnetced randomly to the other gateways the on average the number of people connected to ptn-ag2 has lowered meaning lower contention on that gateway. Or ... PN was out of available sessions?

SW.

BBYW1/10GB
godsell4

« Reply #121 on: January 29, 2007, 10:00:31 pm »

Is is just me or have all gateways become full from 20:00 to 22:00 tonight, i get no more than 1.5Mb on bbmax, of course I have tried for 60mins and failed to connect to the BT speed test.

SW.

BBYW1/10GB
mr_chris

« Reply #122 on: January 30, 2007, 08:11:00 am »

My speeds were pretty sluggish last night too, on HTTP with a zillion threads running I could only get about 3Mbps max (on a 6.5Mbps IP profile line)

Chris
dgdclynx
« Reply #123 on: January 30, 2007, 08:19:57 am »

I noticed I was getting 1.1MB on a 3.5MB connection at 10 o'clock. Also I never seem to get more than 3MB in quiet times when I would expect 3.3MB.
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #124 on: January 30, 2007, 02:33:17 pm »

We are told the connection proces is round robin style so why would this happen?

It happens because it's round robin rather than least used. Remember that over time people will disconnect and reconnect. Lots of people with USB modems will just connect in an evening for a few hours. So imagine that the following happens.

We start off with the platform in good balance and then a large number of customers are disconnected from one gateway. If that happens early in the day or overnight (off peak) then the proportion of customers that just connect for a few hours a day rather than being connected all the time will be lower than if it was at peak time.

Because most of the disconnected people have routers they will reconnect straight away but rather than being put back on the gateway they just came from they reconnect across all four gateways.

This then puts the network out of balance because there are more people connected on three of the gateways than the fourth. It also means that when the people that just start connecting in an evening connect most of them are hitting the gateway where everyone disconnected from because a lot of the tunnels on the other three will be full.

You then get a two-fold of problems. Because some of the tunnels on the three gateways are full, some these, where there are a lot of active customers, will see gold drops whereas other tunnels perhaps won't because they are full of idle customers (and active customers can't connect to these "idle" tunnels) whereas most of the people on the other gateway are all active so again some of these tunnels will see gold drops because of the idle/active balance.

Also, if lots of people are dropped from ptn-ag2, and then reconnetced randomly to the other gateways the on average the number of people connected to ptn-ag2 has lowered meaning lower contention on that gateway. Or ... PN was out of available sessions?

Remember that you can't measure the gateway as a whole, but as twelve 52Mbps tunnels. Only one of those tunnels needs to be full of active customers for traffic to drop and if it's full of enough customers using gold traffic then you may see gold drops on this tunnel. There may not be any drops on the rest of the tunnels on that 622, but gold drops will still show up on the graph because of that one tunnel.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: