Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » A puzzler...
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A puzzler...  (Read 5329 times)
jelv1

« on: January 30, 2007, 04:40:42 pm »

How can an Excel spreadsheet which has been copied from one directory to another, is still the identical size, has identical last modified time have different contents when you compare it using fc?

Answers on a postcard please!

jelv
wildmind
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2007, 04:47:30 pm »

I'm guessing it may be the date file attributes that are different - created/accessed dates
biondani

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2007, 04:53:41 pm »

What AV do you use? I know Cheyenne used to add a new stream to files once scanned. The date/time properties are only shown for the primary stream.

Ian

3rd Line Wintel Support
Virgin Media XXL Customer
jelv1

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2007, 04:54:21 pm »

I'm guessing it may be the date file attributes that are different - created/accessed dates

Those are held in the directory information, not the file itself (you still have those attributes on a zero length file).

jelv
biondani

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2007, 04:55:40 pm »

Yes but the explorer interface won't show the secondary streams. Check out http://www.snapfiles.com/get/streamexplorer.html to find if the file does have any other streams.

Ian

3rd Line Wintel Support
Virgin Media XXL Customer
jelv1

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 05:00:14 pm »

What AV do you use?

McAfee VirusScan Enterprise 8.0.0

Checking with stream explorer now.

jelv
jelv1

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 05:18:47 pm »

Right both files have two streams: <no name> of size 208 and <default> of size 23552.

The difference shown by fc is at the end of the <default> stream. Screen dumps of end of the two files as shown by StreamExplorer attached. I can't see any difference in the <no name> stream.

(One of the file names has changed because I copied the files to local so that I didn't have to install StreamExplorer on the work PC! - it's still showing the same difference)

jelv
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: