Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Excessive latency on Cisco VPN IPSec traffic, traffic shaping?
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Excessive latency on Cisco VPN IPSec traffic, traffic shaping?  (Read 27086 times)
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2007, 08:05:55 pm »

That is most definitely NOT my experience

As a business VPN user, that experiance IS the case for us!

Sure it still works but everything is just "slower / sluggish" at peak times.

orangerascal

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2007, 10:19:12 pm »

This is getting ridiculous. For the last week i've been having connection issues with plus.net, im about rdy to switch.

I test my QoS (qualify of service) at a bandwidth testing website and it was at 26%. That means 74% of my packets were dropped.

Tam

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2007, 02:21:43 pm »

I've just moved a connection from PN to another ISP, and I am truly shocked at how quick and responsive it is now, it had always been "ok" (when PN had got it in the correct shaping policy (i.e. gold!!)) but now with it connected via another isp, its even quicker.

Ultra

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2007, 02:50:57 pm »

I've been using LogMeIn to check PCs for friends and family, some on MN, some on PN, and some on other ISPs.  I see little or no difference, whichever ISP they use.

LogMeIn is not VPN, but uses an encrypted connection to give me full screen view of the user's PC, and control it with my mouse and keyboard (similar to VNC, but needs no firewall settings to be changed, needs no port forwarding on a router, can work with dynamic IP addresses at both ends without problems). 

Since I tend to use a number of windows, and switch from one to another, I can feel confident that I'd see and degree of 'sluggishness'.  I've been on other PCs morning, afternoon and evening, and have seen no changes over many months.
Tam

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2007, 09:52:20 pm »

've been using LogMeIn to check PCs for friends and family, some on MN, some on PN, and some on other ISPs.  I see little or no difference, whichever ISP they use.

But which isp are you using???

Ultra

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2007, 11:01:57 pm »

Given their traffic comes back to me through the Ellacoya, I don't see that it is important which of my connections is being used - are you suggesting that the direction of the initial packets has some effect - apologies if that has been suggested earlier...
Tam

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2007, 11:26:58 pm »

Given their traffic comes back to me through the Ellacoya, I don't see that it is important which of my connections is being used - are you suggesting that the direction of the initial packets has some effect - apologies if that has been suggested earlier...

Not the initial packet but every packet arriving at your PC on your ellacoya shaped line will of had some for of shaping applied to it, this could be *any* category from dirty bronze to shinny diamond and whatever else PN have made this week.

What i'm saying is as i move remote servers away from PN, i am finding them noticeable quicker when i connect to them from my line (my line has always been non-pn). Which i have found surprising as always they were traffic shaped as "gold" so i didnt expect any difference once they moved to other isp's that don't own ellacoya's. (just to confirm this is still crossing isp's not moving servers to the same isp that i am on.

How you can state that you don't see any 'sluggishness' no matter whom you connect and on which isp it is to, is incorrect, as your line is always shaped!

Ultra

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2007, 12:18:43 am »

That assumes both my connections are with PlusNet, and that is not the case.
Tam

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2007, 12:39:25 am »

That assumes both my connections are with PlusNet, and that is not the case.

NO that assumes that in each and every instance ONE end is with PN (or associate brand).

The only way to really compare is to have a connection that isnt on PN, and two connections open to a remote site, 1 on PN and one not on PN and compare the difference between them.

chall32

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2007, 12:19:40 pm »

John - I see what you mean re wiresharking VPN traffic.... hmmm.... I don't have a hub available, and my DG834 doesn't do port mirroring so I can't tell what's happening at the moment.

Once thing worth noting is that my VPN uses UDP port 11001... for those in the know does this ring any significant bells etc?

I've logged a ticked and fed back the port info

Does LogMeIn not use SSL?

Does anyone have a list of ISP's not running Ellacoya's? wink

Sory to be such a newbie - I am trying to catch up honest!

« Last Edit: January 29, 2007, 12:28:39 pm by chall32 »
wildmind
« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2007, 06:08:52 pm »

Side Note: Thanks for that pointer to LogMeIn - hadn't come across that so gave it a shot today and it works a treat laugh

Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: