Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Plus Net charging for Max DSL regrades?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Plus Net charging for Max DSL regrades?  (Read 13120 times)
channel

« on: September 21, 2006, 10:27:45 pm »

As the title says - are Plus Net now charging punters 14.99 for the Max DSL regrades which were previously "free"? I have read elsewhere that at least one member of the CSC team is telling customers that they can either pay upfront or have the charge added as a "deferred" charge.

Is this a new policy?

What do the "usergroup" think of it?
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2006, 10:36:35 pm »

First I've heard of it... don't see anything in the Up to 8MB Guide or the Opt-In link either.

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Using: Plusnet Extra
channel

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2006, 10:43:43 pm »

Well, maybe the usergroup could look into it. PCSNI didn't bat an eyelid about it earlier on when replying to a post asking for help on the boards which dare not be mentioned here for fear of incurring the wrath of Marco. Liam also seems to be well informed of the policy.

I look forward to hearing about the new policy in due course and, of course, a front page article on PUG explaining the new policy to the 000s of non-regraded customers.
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2006, 10:56:34 pm »

Incidently, I don't see anything mentioned in the thread about Max Upgrades on the portal, either...

I shall make enquiries.

Can you provide me a link where this occured, as I can't find any such posts (but I am probably being blind!)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2006, 11:02:02 pm by Colin »

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
channel

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 11:19:04 pm »

Here's the link. I hope Marco doesn't ban me for it. If so, it's your fault!

Linky linky

PN Employee: "The charge for this regrade would normally be 14.99. We would be willing to cover this, on this occasion, but it would be added to your account as a deferred charge - so it will be payable if you leave within 12 months."
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 11:22:44 pm »

Oh, I was looking on the wrong forums - that'll be why I couldn't find it rolleyes

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
pcsni

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2006, 08:12:54 am »

PCSNI didn't bat an eyelid about it earlier

Erm. Wrong. I think you'll find that I flagged the OP's issue directly to the Comms Team. Perhaps you would like to read my post again James.

channel

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2006, 08:33:38 am »

Thanks Mark.

What did the CS team say when you asked them why customers were being charged 14.99 for a Max DSL upgrade?

Given that you made no reference to it at all in your post, I assumed you hadn't batted an eyelid in respect of this important issue, but seeing that you picked it up, maybe you could share the outcome with Colin, the other members of the usergroup and maybe, ultimately, customers?

« Last Edit: September 22, 2006, 08:39:06 am by channel »
dimentia

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2006, 08:45:31 am »

I would really like to know too, just for the curiosity factor.

By the way,I wonder if PlusNet stopped taking telephone calls because so many customers were complaining and wanted to leave.

It's pretty stupid, though, because if you don't have the internet how can you contact PlusNet without having to go to an internet cafe/boook a session at the library/go to a friend's house, etc. which is extremely inconvenient (that was what I did once and PlusNet never helped me).

But back to the subject at hand, what is going on?
James

« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2006, 02:09:54 pm »

I had to pay a fee of 14.99 when I was upgraded to MaxDSL too.

I changed my account type. (Upgraded to get webstats, static IP etc)

(Normally an account upgrade is processed FOC, but a downgrade is chargeable - my account upgrade WAS FOC.)

At the time of changing my account, there was also the option to have my line regraded for a fee of 14.99.

I presumed at the time, because it was in the early days of MaxDSL, that the feature on the webpage was an overhang from the fixed speed lines, when you had to pay if you requested an upgrade from say, 512k to 2Mb.

Anyhow, I went for it because of the hell I was going through on my fixed product. Max took me from a fixed 1Mb which was v. unstable and consistently ran at 100k approx, up to a solid connection running at 1.5Mb peak, and 4.5Mb off peak.

I have to admit a certain indifference to the charge though - I would have preferred not to have paid it, but I also had lots of time credited to my account to make up for the unuseable service on the fixed product.

Best Wishes - James

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand. - Chinese Proverb
channel

« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2006, 12:48:23 am »

I had to pay a fee of 14.99 when I was upgraded to MaxDSL too.

<snip>

At the time of changing my account, there was also the option to have my line regraded for a fee of 14.99.

Curiouser and curiouser!

Any chance you could tell us when this occurred? It's news to most customers and to at least some of the usergroup, it would appear.

I would greatly appreciate it if Mark could share his findings to the usergroup and the rest of the userbase as soon as possible. I also think we ought to know when the change in policy occurred and I would have thought that this sort of U Turn would be worth at least one of a global email to all customers, a mention in the plus net newsletter or, at the very very least, an article on the front page of this website.

I wonder how many customers have been caught out by these new charges. I believe that the free upgrade policy had been in place since PlusNet first started selling so-called 8Mb accounts (12 months before BT made them available) in, IIRC, Sept 2004? The public commitment to *FREE* MaxDSL upgrades could hardly have been more public or more clear... I wonder why the reversal of this policy was undertaken so quietly?

« Last Edit: September 23, 2006, 01:08:31 am by channel »
Ultra

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2006, 06:42:44 pm »

Someone was quoted a fee of 5.99 in early April  (posted on Usenet)

>I can request it done early if I pay 5.99 but they did warn me that I might
>end up with a lower speed - line permitting.  Decided to wait it out.

Not sure about anyone mentioning 14.99...
channel

« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2006, 12:44:39 am »

Just wondering when we might find out the answer to this question? Given the number of plus net staff reading the forum, it can't be too difficult, surely? And given that Mark has also raised the issue with CSC.... would it be unreasonable to expect some clarification on these charges by close of play today (Monday Sept 25 2006)?
channel

« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2006, 10:15:01 am »

What is it about the question "Are plus net charging customers for Max DSL upgrades and what is the policy in this area?" that is so difficult to answer? There is presumably a policy in place (unless CSC are making the charges up as they go along!) so wouldn't it be the open and honest thing to let us know what the policy is?

Why the difficulty answering the question?
mikeb

« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2006, 11:25:36 am »

I find it more than a bit strange and most certainly concerning that there is no comment whatsoever from PN in this thread despite the apparent evidence of something very odd going on.  I am well aware from personal experience that avoiding the question if it is at all difficult and/or embarrassing is generally the 'norm' but this appears to be a fundamental issue with Policy or at least the implementation or interpretation of said policy.  "Open and honest" as is often bandied around ... nope, rightly or wrongly it doesn't really look that way does it even if there is simply a slight misunderstanding somewhere along the line.

... stands by to watch all the "blue" users suddenly disappear when this gets posted !  Sorry, guys but it always amuses me whenever something a tad controversial or pointed gets posted and that happens. But then again, I'm easily amused I suppose Wink

--
WARNING: The e-mail address on my profile is not my usual address, all messages sent via this site have been redirected elsewhere for test purposes. This could result in messages not being received in a timely manner or potentially not being received at all.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: