Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Voice of the Customer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Voice of the Customer  (Read 28521 times)
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2006, 02:11:59 am »

Sorry Ian but I have to agree with everyone else.

"Voice of the Customer" is the sort of thing dreamt up by someone in Marketing.  And worth 10 points in a game of B******t bingo at a team meeting in most organisations.

It isn't short and snappy and a bit smug and patronising IMHO.  And when a comms sorry VotC person replies to a customer in a forum he/she is no longer being VotC but VoPN (Voice of PlusNet). 

How about "Service Representative", that way they can talk internally/externally without a change of title and everyone will be clear what their remit is from the title.
Les
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2006, 03:44:04 am »

Hi

Just my tuppence worth.

I see why everyone is upset at the name taken up by this internal group, but lets not forget, that is just a name.

If Plusnet management have determined to put things right, and have formed a 'task force' with that objective and full management backing and commitment then what difference does the name make? I worked for 40 years for an American company, and we constantly had various similat 'task forces' formed with certain objectives given to them *and* had the full backing/support and more importantly the *expectations* of the management to produce results. These 'task forces' all had what seemed laughable and sometimes just plain silly titles given to them. What mattered were the results. You could laugh til you fell down about the name, but if you laughed at the methods/instruction used/given by the 'task force' members or took their plans lightly etc etc - then you would likely not be working there anymore.

Some succeeded and some failed - but all were seriously trying to achieve an objective.

*If* Plusnet do manage to improve things then we will all benifit. I am really hoping that they succed as I too am close to looking elsewhere for a better service, but I appreciate the efforts made by the Plusnet management and staff in attempting to correct things *in any way* they can - attaching an amusing title to one part of the effort makes not one iota of difference to me - I wait with baited breath for the improvements.
portmoak

« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2006, 11:21:42 am »

.... What mattered were the results. You could laugh til you fell down about the name, ....

You're right about results mattering. Is there any evidence of any?
I don't think it's so much that the 'Voice Of The Customer' is anything to laugh about, more that anyone should think that the voice of the customer was in any way a concern to anyone at PN at present. As I said earlier it's all about hammering out the PN line until we either accept it or go away.

The only certain thing as things stand is that unless PN change (and more back towards what they used to be) then they are certain to go away.

Oh well, I'm off on holiday again for a couple of weeks. Last time I came back to my email trashed. Wonder what's in store for me this time?

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 11:23:21 am by portmoak »

Accounts theadamsons and portmoak
F9 customer since 1998.
ianwild

Not to be confused with Mike, Wildmind.

« Reply #18 on: August 27, 2006, 04:35:51 pm »

I've read the points and will spend some time considering them... The name is far from fixed in stone, although I'd still like to try it for a few weeks with the current plan, just because we have so much more to put in place in a very short period of time. CFT or something else like that might work, but I'm worried it doesn't explain enough about our remit and especially internally, this is important.

I reckon if I could explain a little more about what we will be asking these guys to do, then you could see how I arrived at this as an internal team name. We weren't taking this approach before, so to say you don't see a difference yet is unsurprising!

I think we all agree we want to get back to the way PlusNet was a couple of years ago. That was a time where, as a team, we were one of the most customer foccussed ISPs you could find. What I'm trying to do is scale-up some of the old ideas that I think were responsible for at least parts of our culture back in the day. Back then, we would have people from the customer facing environment who would input into, question and argue where required on every decision made in every area and about everything. This was the way the customers voice was always heard and it worked very well most of the time. Of course there were conflicts and mistakes, and there always will be. One place I think we've gone wrong though is that we lost the ability to find the right balance in our internal discussions, and also to really demonstrate our openness about those discussions in public. That is what our team will drive...

I think within the organisation now, especially under the new structure and with the new teams that will be in place, the right balance can be found again. We don't have to agree with the business where we see the business is doing something that doesn't benefit customers, and we have the responsibility to say so - That is different! While it is all something that will need a few weeks to bed in, and still needs a lot of work to get right, the chance we have to go back to the quality and customer focussed processes we used to have is one I intend to grab with both hands.

I'd like to ask people to give us a chance with this, at least until the remit is published, but I reckon this one could be a battle that it's not worth having. I do completely take the points made about votc and the apparent arrogance that goes with calling an internal team that, and while I'd like to have the opportunity to prove that there is some substance with the sizzle here, I can appreciate your views...

If anyone has more suggestions for team names, please keep them coming!

Ian

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Support
SimonC

« Reply #19 on: August 27, 2006, 04:53:49 pm »

'Voice of the customer', hmmm to be honest it kinda reminds me of the old saying "The customer is always right", but clearly Plusnet do not always listen to the customer as times many when I've raised tickets with CSC you end up playing ticket tennis simply because the agent hasn't read the ticket correctly or in full.

I'm a long standing believer of a methodology called 'KIS' which some of you may have heard of but for those who haven't it means 'Keep it Simple'. Adopting strange names for what is effectively 'Plusnet Customer Support' is just adding to the confusion thats already plagueing Plusnet. Do yourself a favour guys and 'Keep it simple', fancy names mean diddly squat to the person trying to contact you. They just want whats written on the tin so to speak and thats assistance. There's no shame in just calling it Plusnet Customer Support or just PCS if you want abbreviations.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 05:03:01 pm by SimonC »

2 X PLUSNET BIZ 2MB ACCOUNTS.
ianwild

« Reply #20 on: August 27, 2006, 05:26:28 pm »

The thing there Simon is that there is already a PlusNet customer support team, and that isn't us! We don't have the job of answering calls and tickets, but we do have input into the teams that do, and promoting quality by highlighting and escalating issues like not reading tickets properly is very much part of the new role. That is one case where votc within our team fits well I think! Do you really think it is the policy of PlusNet not to read your ticket properly and give you a quality answer?

Of course, as we know from arguments on all the forums, PlusNet customers have varying views on many topics, and that demonstrates that not every customer can always be right. I think if we have a team who's job it is to come at things from a customer angle internally though, and input into decision making processes on that basis, then they should be called something that reflects that... Thats my whole point really - What we are called matters here internally, because of what we do and what we don't do. I don't think it matters as much to the outside world, except ultimately our approach should bring us closer to a collaboration in the forums between us and our customers, where the common goal is the same (ie improving the service offered). That has to be better than the conflict that has gone before, where the marketing team have got involved in what has gone on in the forums - That situation is no more and I'd hope the new team will reflect that sea change quickly.

The thing about listening to customers is interesting. There is of course a job in listening to a customer, and then after weighing up all the facts, working out whether we agree with them or not, or whether there is a compromise available somewhere. Those sorts of situations need to be handled better, and I believe it will be a votc like function that will make that possible.

Ian

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Support
SimonC

« Reply #21 on: August 27, 2006, 05:40:11 pm »

The thing there Simon is that there is already a PlusNet customer support team, and that isn't us!

Bingo!!!

If Plusnet customer support is not customer support then why is it called so?

Remember...Keep it simple. Not only will your customers appreciate a simple approach to support without all the run-a-rounds they are currently having to endure, it will make Plusnets life a little easier too no doubt.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 05:43:53 pm by SimonC »

ianwild

« Reply #22 on: August 27, 2006, 05:47:19 pm »

Sorry - I'm confused!

There are 50+ Customer / Technical Support Analyists who work in the Customer Support Centre.

Then there is the new team we are talking about here, who are neither Customer Support or Technical support analyists. The job is not customer support either, so calling them that would get pretty confusing! VOTC, while loosly operating from within the CSC management structure, have 'dotted line' connections with every other area of the business.

I should be in a position to post the remit of what the team does, in full, on Tuesday or Wednesday, once we have finalised the internal communications and re-organisation.

Ian

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Support
SimonC

« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2006, 05:52:26 pm »

If your confused Ian then is there any wonder your customers are confused.

Essentially what your saying is that this new team will try put across what Plusnet are trying to achieve thus in affect they are not 'Voice of the customer' but 'Voice of Plusnet'. To be 'votc' is misleading as the members of this team are not customers.

Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #24 on: August 27, 2006, 06:00:56 pm »

Internally, they are the Voice of the Customer though...

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Using: Plusnet Extra
SimonC

« Reply #25 on: August 27, 2006, 06:05:37 pm »

How can an internal Plusnet dept. be 'the voice of the customer' when the output is and will always be biased towards Plusnet not the customer.

PUG is essentially the Voice of the Customer as they are customers liasing with Plusnet.

Working for Plusnet they are spokesperson(s) for Plusnet not the customer.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2006, 10:21:37 pm by SimonC »

Inactive

« Reply #26 on: August 27, 2006, 11:40:51 pm »

I find myself totally agreeing with what SimonC has said.

Having read through what Ian Wild has said, I still feel that he is ignoring common sense values which are displayed by the major consensus of opinion on here.

Whatever stupid title they choose to adorn themselves with will not make a scrap of difference if service standards are not very quickly improved to an acceptable level.
glloyd

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2006, 12:12:44 am »

I have to agree with SimonC as well - A team employed by PlusNet no matter how well intentioned cannot be the voice of the customer for the reason given.

What I would like to see is a return to the time when the forums were friendly places where communications between the comms team and customers was more like friends helping each other out. When the comms team could be seen to care when a customer had a problem and did everything they could to help. If we could return to anything like those times it would be a 1,000% improvement on what we have now. Oh yes and scrap that damn silly telephone system that cost customers a fortune in call cost and hours of wasted time.

Regards

George
SimonC

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2006, 12:41:30 am »

Constantly changing things solves nothing, Plusnet should have learnt this by now. Over the past couple of years we've had humpteen product refresh's all of which have caused confusion and tension in the Plusnet community. We've had various restructuring of support services also over the years all leading to the current situation.

For average Joe Bloggs out in the real world, he doesn't care for fancy dept. titles or who does what. What he/she wants is a single point of contact when things go pear shaped and that should be Plusnet Customer Support. What they don't want is yet another dept. claiming to be representatives of the wider community trying to help also, that just introduces a scenario where the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing...which is where Plusnet currently sit.

LC100

« Reply #29 on: August 28, 2006, 09:55:13 am »

Hi

There are 50+ Customer / Technical Support Analyists who work in the Customer Support Centre.

If these 50+ people are customer and technical support staff already, then you should sort out those 50 people to provide an acceptable level of service and not bring in a new team to iron out and sort out the problems that are in the main created by the already existing support team who are not doing their jobs properly.

All you are doing is papering over the cracks with this "Voice of the customer" team. All this team will do is run around correcting problems introduced by the failing existing support channels, so stop support failing in the first place and there is no need for this extra team.

Are things really that bad with support that PlusNet can only fix it by having a team that runs around doing the job properly for them? 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4
  Print  

Jump to: