Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The PUG Place » Time to junk the Product Comparison Tool
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to junk the Product Comparison Tool  (Read 2163 times)
Oldjim

« on: October 19, 2015, 03:41:47 pm »

As you aren't keeping it updated
ChrisAO

« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 11:32:28 am »

It's a great shame that it's not been updated, but I suspect the workload to do it will fall on one individual (yet again).
I used it recently - but I was comparing some older products so hadn't noticed that it wasn't up-to-date.
dhookham
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 01:24:13 pm »

The actual updating is fairly straightforward, but keeping on top of the product changes is more challenging.

It's the PlusNet Way
ChrisAO

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2015, 01:57:01 am »

I didn't think the products had changed that much in recent times, nor the base price? The offer prices may have changed frequently, but then the tool has never considered offer prices has it, only the basic price?
There's only 3 basic products all unlimited usage for ADSL(2+), Fibre and Fibre Extra, each with two prices - low cost areas and non-low cost areas. They are all subject to a 2.50 premium if line rental isn't taken.
dhookham
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2015, 08:21:56 pm »

Special offers are excluded (much as were any variations of pricing based on taking other elements such as line rental, etc)
As products were retired, we archived them as there may have been users looking to compare their obsolete tariff with what was now available.

It looks like the last database update was almost two years ago now, and whilst that time span is longer than I expected, I'm not totally surprised. Tracking down the full suite of product limitations such as traffic prioritisation was never straightforward or consistently located.

It's the PlusNet Way
ChrisAO

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2015, 08:45:06 pm »

Ha, yes I was forgetting about that slight thorn in the side - traffic management, that does make the updating a trifle more difficult huh
Comparison with "obsolete" products is still a valuable thing, as sometimes a user is still better off on an older product.
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2015, 11:19:03 pm »

The main emphasis of the tool has always been to try to display "small print" information in pictorial manner to facilitate comparing two products. Now that all products are "unlimited" the tool's view of small print information is the same for all products.

The differentiators now tend to be headline things, and with so many longer-period offers on the go full price information becomes of interest only when bills go up. Upload speed has also become a product differentiator and the tool doesn't cover that. Neither does it cover blanket rate capping (eg the fibre 40/2 product). Contractual information becomes important here and that needs to be delivered on the official Plusnet website.

Whilst it's almost two years since last product name updates what is there in tool terms reflects the current ones.

David
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 11:21:08 pm by spraxyt »
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: