Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Repeat wifi
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Repeat wifi  (Read 1782 times)
bytheseaside

« on: March 28, 2015, 02:23:29 pm »

I had a Netgear wifi router upstairs & a TP-link wifi repeater downstairs. I had them set to different channels, but the same name & password. My Samsung mobile phone usually selected the best signal. I have just been upgraded to fibre broadband. My Netgear didn't want to work with the new set-up so the new Plusnet wifi router was used instead. At the moment the Plusnet router is using the factory set name & password while the TP-Link is still on my original name & password - still different channels. The phone seems to be able to automatically switch from the TP-Link to Plusnet signal if the TP-Link disappears. So far it doesn't seem to have switched the other way, though when I'm downstairs, the TP-Link is much stronger. The Plusnet is still just working, but weak. It would be nice if it switched as soon as one was much stronger than the other.

Should I change the name/password to be the same on both, or won't it make a difference? Does one signal need to vanish completely before the phone will look for an alternative?

Thank you

John
MauriceB
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2015, 07:04:08 pm »

Hi John,

You may get more help if you pose your question in the Fibre forum on the Community site.

What happens if you force a disconnect from the weaker signal?  Does the phone then default to the stronger signal?

Have you tried having both Router and repeater on the same channel?

Maurice

spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2015, 02:29:00 am »

I suspect the same SSID on both WiFi sources is needed for automatic switching to work. When they are different the phone probably assumes they are completely different networks and once connected hangs on to that connection whilst it can.

When away from home phones switch between cells according to signal strength but I assume all cells appear equivalent.

David
bytheseaside

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 10:49:27 am »

Thank you for the thoughts. I've discovered that the phone only switches if I force it, unless one signal disappears altogether. I've set both names & passwords the same, as it used to be, but left them on 2 different channels. I'll see how that behaves.

John
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: