Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » How to escalate suggested REIN fault after 4 times round the loop
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How to escalate suggested REIN fault after 4 times round the loop  (Read 3912 times)
eugeneg

« on: January 08, 2015, 04:04:30 pm »

I have been getting extensive periods of prolonged intermittent disconnection over the past 3 months.  We have now been visited by 4 BT engineers and tried 4 different routers.  They often throw REIN into the conversation but I suspect this is accounted for by absence of any identifiable cause.  The typical causes of REIN have been ruled out and an AM radio tuned to 612 KHz is silent.

Is there any way of having this problem taken seriously enough to cause a resolution or do we have to wait for a 5th visit and a 5th router (currently on order) ?

Of course we have been through the normal fault-finding steps many times - even to the point of connecting to the engineers test socket exclusively for a month back in October; hence, internal causes are unlikely.  High aluminium content in the cabinet to property link has been suggested but I've not been able to find out how to confirm/eliminate this.  The property is in a rural location.
jelv1

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2015, 04:16:34 pm »

Are you running RouterStats and if so do bursts of noise show up in there?

jelv
eugeneg

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2015, 04:25:50 pm »

Not running that but I will be looking into it now.  We have been recording upload & download speeds, PING times, packet loss & jitter.
eugeneg

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 06:34:22 pm »

RouterStats does not show any bursts of noise.  SNR margin is never > 6.

If the problem was caused by increased crosstalk as a result of more connections than before using the same high aluminium content wires, how would that be diagnosed ?

PN have now asked for a £5.99 to ship the 5th replacement router !
eugeneg

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2015, 12:12:57 pm »

PN are now suggesting a 6th engineer visit for this problem first reported last November.  Heading toward farce.
KellyD
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 11:48:07 am »

Hi.

Do you have a ticket ID so we can take a look at this?  You shouldn't be getting this many routers....

Kelly Dorset
Head of Products and Digital Care
Plusnet Plc.
eugeneg

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 04:27:37 pm »

I answered this yesterday but now I don't see my post !  The ticket number is 95208785

The last engineer called from the exchange half an hour ago to say that he had finished his work and the line was working.  Now though, it certainly is not (despite what the router lights are indicating).

Do we need a 7th engineer visit ?
ChrisAO

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2015, 10:54:58 pm »

Is this still going on? If so,it's quite ridiculous.
If the problem is ongoing, post up a sample RouterStats SNRM graph from daytime and one from mid-evening and we'll try taking it from there.
If you have periodic REIN, whether it's direct or from cross-talk you will see a reduction in SNRM (from whatever the nominal is) when it's present.
RouterStats does not show any bursts of noise.  SNR margin is never > 6.

Not sure if you meant >6, as remarked if it's dropping <6 that could be the indicator.

I assume you've checked and got no audible noise on the line and had no poblems with incoming/outgoing calls? Tried the quiet line test 17070 option 2 ?
eugeneg

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2015, 09:18:12 am »

Thanks for a very sensible reply ChriaAO.   The current situation is that a 7th ("boost") engineer is scheduled to visit tomorrow. That will the the last one as PN have said that "If the engineer advises no fault is found there is nothing further we can do".  I will report back a few days after the visit.  Also incidentally, there has been no PN management intervention to my knowledge despite the comments above.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: