Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Complaint of possible Disability Discrimination
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Complaint of possible Disability Discrimination  (Read 3150 times)
BloodandCustard

« on: September 09, 2015, 06:42:53 am »

With reluctance I have had to take the unfortunate step of raising a complaint of possible Disability Discrimination by Plusnet. I say reluctant as the underlying issues stem from the inflexibility of its subcontractor BT, although Plusnet appear reluctant to accept my complaint.

Is anyone aware of similar complaints lodged against Plusnet?
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 11:51:20 am »

I'm not aware of any cases myself. I'm not an expert on the DDA by any means, but as I understand it a company that provides goods or services is unable to wriggle out of compliance by "passing the buck" through claiming that the issue is with an agent, or subcontractor.

Most larger companies usually have at least one person responsible for ensuring Equality & Disability legislation is adhered to, so their compliance is usually pretty good overall.  In my experience it's often someone in the HR Dept who covers company Equality & Diversity compliance for both the staff and customers.  It may be worthwhile asking who deals with such matters for Plusnet and asking them to review your issue for a more expert opinion before making a formal complaint.
BloodandCustard

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2015, 07:26:23 pm »

NB,

Thank you for your reply.

I did raise the issue with Plusnet before raising it as a formal complaint. The gist of their response (essentially driven by BT Openreach) appeared to be they treat everyone the same and in doing so are not discriminating. Such a stance beggar's belief and of course may put them directly at odds with the Equality Act, which is there to set a 'level playing field'.

The problem appears to stem with BT Openreach but as my contract is with Plusnet I had to make the complaint with Plusnet. Obviously I remain content to talk directly with the person responsible for equality in Plusnet.

Unfortunately Plusnet has (to date) neither responded to or even acknowledged my complaint. Certainly it does not bode well for a company ignoring any complaint let alone one of such a serious matter. But then perhaps all their staff are busy spoon-whittling...   wink

If Plusnet chooses not to engage or respond to my complaint then the complaint will in due course simply time-out and be escalated to the regulator and (given the nature of the complaint) I'll probably include an MP as well. But then perhaps Plusnet has no further response to make and feels its contractual relationship with BT Openreach may override the Equality Act (which I would respectfully suggest is not the case).

Ultimately such a complaint has the potential for forcing BT Openreach to change its stance on disability which can only be a good thing. However, there is the concern that Plusnet could receive adverse publicity in the interim; this of course is certainly not my intention as the problem really does appear to rest with BT Openreach.

Kind regards,

BloodandCustard

ChrisAO

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 08:23:05 am »

It would be nice to see an update on this wink
Midnight Caller

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 02:58:50 am »

Any news!

Force9
Force9 Since 3 July 1998

PlusNet
PlusNet Since 6 Febuary 2001
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 10:48:07 am »

The OP last visited the forum in September 2015 so I assume the matter was dealt with elsewhere.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: