Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Using Wordpress with Madasafish hosted website
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Wordpress with Madasafish hosted website  (Read 8631 times)
Zolabridge

« on: November 08, 2014, 06:05:16 pm »

Hi, Madasafish have been my broadband & email provider for 14 years. They have hosted my website successfully for that time. My Madasafish experience has always been positive. My son is currently reconstructing the site, & wants to use Wordpress, but has been told that there are technical problems in using Wordpress on a Madasafish hosted site. He therefore favours switching from Madasafish to Bluehost, which is associated with Wordpress. I don't believe there is any connection between who hosts the site and the software used to construct the site. Any ideas on this?
Secondly, I am concerned that if I switch from Madasafish to another host, I will lose my freenetname.co.uk email address & thus potentially a large number of my 1600 contacts. I have asked both Madasafish and Bluehost if I can keep the freenetname.co.uk address and am not reassured by their replies. which are vague and ambiguous. Any ideas on this?
Two issues, then. Thanks in advance for your response.
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2014, 07:57:39 pm »

If I understand you right you're seeking to keep an e-mail address like somename@freenetname.co.uk but host your site elsewhere on a shared hosting platform then it'd be more difficult than if you owned your own domain name.

In theory it'd be possible, but I think you'd need assistance from freenetnames support desk to set this up correctly, assuming of course they'd be willing to allow the hosting to be done elsewhere.

Regarding the question of a connection between who hosts the site and the software used to run it, I think you may be misunderstanding the issue.  I suspect the reason that your son may need hosting elsewhere is that he needs hosting that handles something called php (a web software language) and provides an SQL database such as MySQL.  Not being familiar with the freenetnames hosting I couldn't say for certain, but it's probable that the free webspace you have doesn't have all the features needed to run wordpress.

Personally, considering the low cost of .uk domain names, I'd recommend you to consider getting a domain name of your own.  That way you can move between ISP's or Hosting providers fairly simply in future.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 07:59:22 pm by NB »
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2014, 02:07:00 pm »

Not being familiar with the freenetnames hosting I couldn't say for certain, but it's probable that the free webspace you have doesn't have all the features needed to run wordpress.

You're right, the Madasafish web servers do not support server-side scripting/database connectivity etc.

The answer to many of the OP's questions depends on whether or not we're talking about a hosted .co.uk domain name, or the freenetname.co.uk webspace address?

The freenetname.co.uk address cannot be hosted externally. You /could/ redirect traffic somewhere else using 301 redirects or frames, but it's messy and not advised.

If we're talking about a .co.uk domain then you would need to transfer full ownership of the domain to Bluehost. There's a charge of 25.54 to do this.

What you would also need to consider is the fact that email to the .co.uk domain would no longer get delivered to the Freenetname mailbox. It would get delivered to Bluehost. Bluehost may be able to redirect the mail to your Freenetname email address however this is something you'd need to query them about.

The freenetname.co.uk email address should continue to function after the .co.uk domain has been transferred to Bluehost, however this is something I'd need to check before you made any decisions.

Zolabridge

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2014, 09:42:37 pm »

Thanks, both to NB and Bob Pullen. Bob hits the main issue for me, which is whether mail can be redirected to me satisfactorily if I switch to Bluehost. I have no problem moving my unique domain name to Bluehost for 25.54, but many of my 1600 contacts, to whom I organise regular mail outs on events I organise, know my freenetname.co.uk address rather than my unique domain name. So I need to find out whether messages sent to me at freenetname.co.uk can be satisfactorily redirected to me once I have switched to Bluehost.
I can mail out to all my contacts that my address is now reggaezine.co.uk rather than freenetname.co.uk, but not everyone can be bothered to adjust their contacts/address books. I know that, because I don't always do it myself when I get such emails!
Thanks again.
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2014, 12:12:56 pm »

... many of my 1600 contacts, to whom I organise regular mail outs on events I organise, know my freenetname.co.uk address rather than my unique domain name. So I need to find out whether messages sent to me at freenetname.co.uk can be satisfactorily redirected to me once I have switched to Bluehost.

Your freenetname.co.uk emails will continue to be delivered as they are now. We don't offer a service that allows you to automatically forward these emails elsewhere.

Zolabridge

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 01:22:53 pm »

OK, thanks.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: