Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Wonderful promises at point of sale... none delivered
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Wonderful promises at point of sale... none delivered  (Read 3549 times)
THAG21

« on: September 08, 2013, 04:03:53 pm »

After four years with TalkTalk and a promise of fabulous service from PlusNet which included not waiting more than five minutes for a customer service assistant to answer my calls... it all turned out to be hype to get my business.
Set up problems have caused me to call them four times in one day with a minimum wait time of 25 minutes and a maximum of 45. An assistant there let it slip that even in peak times they only have 35 customer service assistants available at the most. How they expect to service a large and growing customer base with the is beyond me.
Already wishing I had paid more and gone to BT or stayed with TalkTalk.
Let's see how it develops.
Oh... and they also said there would be no traffic management at any time that would slow down my speed... I am now told that was also untrue. They are apparently no different than everybody else!
jelv1

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2013, 04:10:12 pm »

Oh... and they also said there would be no traffic management at any time that would slow down my speed... I am now told that was also untrue. They are apparently no different than everybody else!

I presume therefore that you have opted for the Essentials package as that is the one with traffic management that can slow your speeds. On Unlimited there is traffic prioritisation: the total throughput of your line is not restricted but protocols are prioritised to ensure that high priority traffic such as gaming or VoIP is not slowed down by something like downloads or P2P (this will only have any effect when you are maxing out your line).
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 04:12:08 pm by jelv1 »

jelv
THAG21

« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2013, 04:18:01 pm »

Hi Jelv... Nope, got the unlimited package.

Basically the sales people said that speeds are never compromised at any point. The service people said something along the lines of what you said, but this still means if I choose to download my speed could well be. Not what I was promised but also not much I can do about it.

I am a total techno dinosaur so don't even know what P2P is. I understand it stands for peer to peer, but I have no understanding of what that actually is.

NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2013, 08:43:21 pm »

There is no throttling of your speed on the unlimited package.  You should be able to max out the speed of your line, I'm on the unlimited package now and I've had no reduction of speed.

The big question is what is your line speed like?  You can find this information out by logging in to your router (info on your router can probably be found here). Changing provider won't have much effect if you're living a long way from your phone exchange because it'll be your line that is limiting your internet speed, not Plusnet.

There is as Jelv says prioritisation which only kicks in if your line is maxed out, so if you were say downloading Microsoft Updates, surfing the web, and watching something on YouTube the MS updates would slow down first if your line couldn't keep the YouTube stream satisfied since the updates are less time critical.  This is done so your viewing doesn't suffer from freezing whilst it buffers more of the video.

There's an article produced by Plusnet here which explains this a bit more.

You can check the call answer rate here to see if it's a good time to call or not.
jelv1

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2013, 01:02:54 pm »

Have a read of these articles:

http://community.plus.net/blog/2012/12/21/its-unlimited-why-is-it-still-traffic-managed/
http://community.plus.net/blog/2013/02/27/why-traffic-management-matters/

jelv
MPR

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2013, 04:09:09 pm »

I know how you feel.

I had moved to plusnet in January 2013. I have had speed issues and router issues from day one. I have never been able to watch a You Tube video from start to finish without buffering or it simply crashing.

The first router continued to loose the password. After 15 calls and four months of broken broadband Plusnet agreed to send me a new router. That has the same fault.

I am now told that if they can not fix the fault I will be able to leave without penalty. On the 4th September they texted me to say they would send a third router and that would be with me in 2-3 working days. I called again today on the 13th and was told that it had not been ordered.

The service is not fit for purpose and the customer service is deceptive, in that whilst polite, they don't actually fix the problem. You are just left in limbo and then forgotten about.

As soon as I can leave I will do.

jelv1

« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2013, 09:34:37 am »

That is a very misleading post! From your topic on the Community forums you have a very stable connection:

It looks like the problem could be a wireless issue or some problem with your own equipment.

I suggest you respond to the replies on the Community forums.

jelv
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: