Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Direct Debit Fiasco
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Direct Debit Fiasco  (Read 9437 times)
IANMAC22

« on: January 14, 2013, 05:45:08 pm »

Angry So, I said in answer to Plusnet's "You have not paid" message:

"I am sick and tired of Plusnet's general incompetencies in dealing with my broadband account.

Apart from the history of technical, slow speed, problems which take several weeks of emails and calls to deal with (problems that eventually and 'miraculously' resolve themselves without any admission of fault or error on the part of Plusnet) you have now made a mess of my Direct Debit.

Yes, I can pay by CC or Debit Card, but do you really think that I should sort the problem you have created?

No, It is your problem. Take ownership of it and sort it!

When I phoned this afternoon, your assistant said that it was up to the bank. No!!! I guess it was your delay in processing.

On the same day that I advised you of the changed account I also changed DDs with other suppliers. I have had copies of the DD Instructions from all of them!!!! It is for the same bank and the same account.

So logically, the only different factor in this case is Plusnet. So, tell me again, that is 'my' problem?Huh

I shall not accept any of your threats of limiting my browsing. If there is any limit on speed or whatever then I shall understand that you no longer want my account. I shall expect a MAC without delay."

If I make a mistake, I'll accept responsibility.  Plusnet seems to have a different culture in its organisation.
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2013, 09:01:22 pm »

How long in advance of the Direct Debit date did you inform them of the new details?

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Using: Plusnet Extra
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 09:43:36 am »

Hi Ian,

I replied to your comment over on Facebook this morning.

IANMAC22

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 03:50:28 pm »

It appears that Plusnet processed the DD change on the same day that it raised the invoice and your staff/system couldn't cope with that.

Instead of raising the invoice, charging the old DD (which was still valid), and then processing the new DD, you processed the DD change and then raised the payment against the new DD - which was bound to fail as you had not yet cleared the new DD with the bank.

It is simply a matter of sequencing of transactions and I guess you have the IT resources to set up rules to ensure that others are not affected by this stupidity in future?

Now, I'm only the customer and I expect your customer services person on your end of the phone to know how your systems work, and to advise me accordingly. If I happen to call and request a DD change on the day that will sod up your system (presumably he could see my account details on his screen?) then could he have not said either "Call back tomorrow, because ..." or, he could have held my request 'on the spike' and actioned it the next day?

Why should I be expected to know/anticipate how your 'automated' systems work? After all the way in which 'automated' systems work can be altered!

AND A P.S.:-

I just spotted on my account, timed at 1.47 dated Monday 14th Jan, Ref: Question #64475336:
"Direct Debit Instruction 1339396 set to Active as part of daily Direct Debit processing".

So, did you actually fail to process the DD at the time, and have only just done it HuhHuhHuh
IANMAC22

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:51:43 pm »

At last, someone helpful, accepts there is a point.  Thanks BP!javascript:void(0);

From Plusnet on Fb:

"It takes us 7-10 working days to set up a new Direct Debit instruction. The instruction has been activated today but was submitted back on the 5th.

You won't be able to access the page I linked to whilst the payment is outstanding. To summarise the information on that page you'd need to call us for a MAC on 0800 432 0200 or write to us at our postal address.

When we submit a new Direct Debit instruction, the old one is immediately cancelled at our side and payments cannot be taken from it. This is to avoid a situation where we take payments from the wrong account, or submit a payment request to your bank where an instruction no longer exists (our merchant provider doesn't look too kindly on this).

You elected to change your Direct Debit on the morning you were due to be billed. The old instruction was immediately cancelled before the new one could be set up so when the system tried billing you, there was no active payment medium to do so.

The problem here, from what I can tell, is the lack of forewarning when you changed your Direct Debit details. This is something I will see if we can address in future to avoid similar things happening to others.

You shouldn't I be expected to know/anticipate how our 'automated' systems work. Sorry ^BP"

bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 05:02:34 pm »

Apologies again Ian, hoping to make this a lot less painful for others by at least ensuring the implications of changing your Direct Debit details are made clear (both online and when requesting this over the phone).

Incidentally, we used to leave the old instruction active until the new one was enabled but this has always caused us a bit of a headache with our merchant provider when submitting requests for payment on dated/no longer valid instructions. The process was changed some time ago but we dropped a ball by not updating the messaging/customer-interaction aspects to accompany it sad

spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2013, 05:02:50 pm »

Moderator's Note:

Post by Sengards removed since it contained only a full quote of an old reply with no new text.

David (spraxyt)
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 05:04:59 pm by spraxyt »
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: