Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Splitting web space
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Splitting web space  (Read 3872 times)
poppy

« on: November 02, 2012, 10:05:01 am »

Please could someone advise about my web space?  I currently have phpbb on it but it isn't online - as spraxyt knows I put it there to practise with but need to get back to it sometime soon.  I log into it with http://ftp://cshell.force9.net.  

My friend needs a little website for her dog grooming business so I thought I would have a go with WordPress because someone I know who has a dog rescue recently built one with a WP template and has made a decent job of it.  She tells me that it was quite straightforward so I'm hoping I can do it too. I have found a tutorial and downloaded the zip file but need some web space so I sent a ticket in to see if mine could be split but the reply was that PN don't help with this and they provided a link to the Force9 advice section on this. I recall that they have been helpful in the past so maybe this is a new policy.  I can't see how to do this myself although I would like to try.  

I don't want to purchase a domain name and hosting until I know that I can do it.  Would be grateful for any advice.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2012, 10:14:45 am »

A couple of things...

The requirements for the latest version of Wordpress don't seem to match what is running on the CCGI platform, so there is a likelyhood that it might not work. I'd also not recommend running an older version, either.

I'm afraid I don't know of any way that your webspace with Plusnet could be split... the only way you'd be able to do this easily is by having things in separate folders - and therefor one site would have a different URL eg. http://ccgi.username.plus.com/siteone and http://ccgi.username.plus.com/sitetwo (substitute plus.com as appropriate).

Colin

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Using: Plusnet Extra
poppy

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2012, 10:56:10 am »

Thank you Colin. I have received another reply from PN:
"Nothing needs changing our end, you'll just need to upload your files and folders onto the CGI space - if you want to keep your PHPBB on there simply create a new folder for it perhaps?"
Will check their link again and see if I can make something of it but I have a feeling it is going to be too complicated.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2012, 12:14:26 pm »

Your phpbb installation already has its own folder so that doesn't need changing at all and a Wordpress installation in its own folder can co-exist alongside it.

As Colin mentioned Plusnet's MySQL server for ccgi is still version 4.1 whereas the current version of Wordpress (3.4.1) requires MySQL 5. However using a hack developed by Gabe it is possible to get this to work on Plusnet ccgi. Details on Community here.

Though the script included in that post is described as an "update" script it will "update" from an empty folder - which is an "install".

There's more about installing Wordpress here. One qualification about the hack - whilst it works with the basic installation it is possible that plugins and theme customisations might not do. Take backups of the complete installation before installing add-ons.

David
poppy

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2012, 02:21:14 pm »

Thank you so much for the advice.  I can see that uploading to my own web space is just making things more difficult.  Have therefore had a chat with my friend and have purchased the domain together with hosting.  Am using the company who hosts my own forum as they will give us support along the way.  Hope that between us we can manage.  Better still, we hope that it will increase business for her. 
Will no doubt be back for advice!   help 

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2012, 04:09:00 pm »

For the medium to longer term that is likely to be an easier to manage approach. cool

Once a basic page layout has been established I think it would be worth switching to what are often called Search Engine Friendly links for articles. These can be set up through the WordPress dashboard with the package creating an appropriate .htaccess file to support them.

Hope the website helps to develop your friend's business. smiley

David
poppy

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2012, 07:50:28 pm »

Thank you spraxyt - good to know that you are there to ask for help as needed.  Host company sent an email with information about something called a fantastico applet so I just clicked on that in the CPanel and voila - uploaded and visible.  Found the dashboard that you talked about and it told me to update so did that and now am on latest version.  Didn't need the zip file that I had downloaded.  Have even managed to set up the webmail. Now the hard part - getting to grips with the design and actually putting stuff into it.   huh

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: