Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Chit-Chat Channel » Cookies
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cookies  (Read 1998 times)
poppy

« on: October 20, 2012, 11:55:13 am »

Apologies if this is in the wrong place, but I am looking for some advice about cookies.  I run a forum and have nothing in place regarding advice about cookies.  TBH I don't use them at all as it is only a hobby forum - we don't sell anything or advertise.  I notice that some sites have those pop up thingies but I don't want to get into that.  Just a bit of wording attached to the forum rules would have to do.
If anyone has any knowledge about this, please could you advise? 

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2012, 11:34:12 pm »

Though you don't consciously make use of cookies it's possible that the forum does - eg if users are allowed a "stay logged in" option. In any case session cookies are likely to be used for passing user information from page to page - eg to identify the user and allow the forum software to check that the user is logged in.

If you look at cookies stored on your own computer (usually via browser options) you might spot cookies originating from the URL of your own forum. Clearly these are there to make the forum work and as far as I'm aware openly saying that is sufficient.

The Information Commissioner's Office provides some guidance on this topic here. In fact when you first visit that site you will most likely encounter a cookie warning to that effect at the top of the screen.

Hope this helps.

David
poppy

« Reply #2 on: October 21, 2012, 07:22:15 am »

Thank  you for the reply Spraxyt. I realise that the board uses cookies but what I should have said is that I don't personally have any use for them.  The link is useful and I may be able to cobble a statement together once I have read it more thoroughly.  Fortunately one of our members is a lawyer whose job it is to examine privacy policies in websites.  She's going to take a look next week so hopefully I'll manage to sort something out.  It's just a question of getting the correct wording and putting it in the right place.  I was looking on this forum and on the other Plusnet one and can't see anything about the matter.  I was hoping that there would be.  Sheffield forum has quite a bit to say about it but that one has revenue from advertisers.

For many years I've had FF set not to accept third party cookies and to clear them when the browser is closed.  I also use CCleaner at the end of each day.  Maybe a bit paranoid but never mind.  shrug
« Last Edit: October 21, 2012, 07:24:36 am by poppy »

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: