Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Bandwidth usage is definitely wrong
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bandwidth usage is definitely wrong  (Read 5552 times)
kerrminator

« on: March 24, 2012, 08:03:57 pm »

Hi, just signed up to the forums as I have apparently used 70 gb of usage this month and now im at 0.1 mb/s download speed. I moved here because with my previous isp (IDnet) I was getting close to using the whole 40gm per month and knew I wouldnt go over with a 60 gb limit but apparently I have. I have my own independent bandwidth meter and this month all I have used is 30 gb so where are plusnet getting these figures. I have a secure wireless connection and dont have any neighbours where I live anyway and I work in IT and pretty much know what im doing anyway. Anyone else having this trouble. If this continues I wont hesitate to cancel the direct debit and go elsewhere regardless of the 12 month contract. cheers Paul.
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 12:01:28 am »

Saturday's metered VMBU figure for me shows 481MB and my own monitor (NetWorx) shows 485MB - so those match up as they normally do.

Have you included upload traffic in your Plusnet figure?

Quote from: VMBU Side-bar Notes
Please note:

Your usage includes downloads and uploads
kerrminator

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 12:50:51 am »

The bandwidth meter I use includes both download and upload. the meter is saying 30 gb and the plusnet site is saying over 70 gb. I've used the same bandwidth meter with all my isp's and this is the first time an isp is claiming I am using more than the meter is telling me. theres definitely something not right. I suspect plusnet are claiming one thing whilst doing another. There are days when I have barely used the broadband and its claiming I have used loads. I think I'll go back to IDnet where they were a bit more expensive but honest about what you are using. I9 have already had to add an extra 15 gb in the past couple of days where I have not use anything near that imo. Sad
MauriceB
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 12:37:06 pm »

Difficult to give you much direct help with such a problem kerminator without access to the background data.

Have you alerted Plusnet to the problem by raising a fault ticket?  They are usually very responsive to such issues and keen to get them resolved - quickly.

These forums are informal and run by the User group, so you do need to get a 'Ticket' raised to get some recording on the problem / response.  Having said that Plusnet Digital Care staff do monitor these forums (normal working week) and will often take the appropriate actions
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 07:35:58 pm »

I've occasionally checked the VMBU against what I know my usage has been and it has always been right.  I'd personally suspect something in your home.  I don't suppose you have anything that uses the internet that wouldn't record on your PC's usage monitor, e.g. Playstation, XBox, internet connected TV.

As a simple way of checking the accuracy of VMBU, check the VMBU page, unplug your router, wait an hour or so, plug back in and check again.  This should give you a near as accurate reading of usage to that point in time as is possible.  Immediately unplug your router and leave it for a couple of hours and then reconnect and recheck VMBU.  I'd be surprised if it had moved more than a few Kb.

Another thing to look at is that most routers have an activity light on them, if the router is near your computer you should be able to see if there is network/internet activity at times when you wouldn't expect it.
jpilson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2012, 10:43:37 am »

Hi kerrminator,

I'll be happy to look into that for you. Can you message me with your username so I can identify your account.

Jojo Smiley

Joanne Pilson
Plusnet Support Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email :: Twitter
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: