Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The PUG Place » Time to shut down the public side of these forums?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Time to shut down the public side of these forums?  (Read 22720 times)
jelv1

« on: March 18, 2012, 11:00:06 am »

When users first post on here goes for more than a day with no response from PUG or PN, are these public forums still serving any purpose?

I'd suggest sorting out a CAPTCHA for the contact us so it can be reactivated which would allow these forums to be closed.

jelv
Penny

« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 05:07:34 pm »

I'd suggest sorting out a CAPTCHA for the contact us so it can be reactivated which would allow these forums to be closed.

I'd be very sad to see these public forums go, tbh :/  I know the Comm Site gets used a lot more, these days, but I believe it's still valid to have a public record of items that get referred to the Usergroup, and of how things are progressed.

And having been in PUG in the early days when 'contact us' was used, it was a whole lot less straightforward to get things replied to :/

Just my twopennorth Smiley

Regards,

Penny.

Penny Rollo       Force 9 from 17/02/98       PlusNet from 2000 onwards     
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages http://www.happychild.org.uk
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
XPC exiled in NZ

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 08:35:21 pm »

Look how speedily you have 2 replies!  cool

Positivly snappy today...

Mike
dhookham
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 09:16:30 pm »

I seem to recall this being discussed a while back, and a view was that although traffic here was very low, that might actually prove to be something of a benefit as it gave greater focus to items that were dealt with.

On the subject of a CAPTCHA, I seem to recall setting one up at the time we closed off the 'Contact Us' route.

It's the PlusNet Way
jelv1

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 10:52:37 am »

http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,7356.msg93529.html#msg93529 - now over two days with no response.

I think this rather proves my point! (I was rather expecting my posting of this topic to prompt some reply on there).

jelv
jelv1

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 10:53:59 am »

Or this one which went 12 days with no response! http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,7340.0.html

jelv
jelv1

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2012, 02:00:47 pm »

Seriously guys, you are quick to respond when you are criticised, but are you actually doing anything of real worth?

This post was made Saturday morning:

Could someone at Plus Net tell me if 3.5 months of intermittent broadband connection is an acceptable customer expectation?
Is ADSL2 supposed to result in on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off/on/off connection?
BT tell me it isn't their phone line, Plus Net tell me it isn't their broad band and here I am stuck in the middle with sympathetic words and NO action.  Oh how I wish someone at Plus Net would finally take charge of the problem and do something to help a mug of a customer who since December 6th 2011 has not had a consistent BB connection. Perhaps helping a customer and actually doing something is a novel idea to PN support which they haven't yet got their heads around. To me it is simple, I pay Plus Net for bb - I don't get bb. Solution, Plus Net sort it out - end off. Reality, I pay Plus Net for bb, I don't get it. I, the customer, am therefore obliged to jump through as many hurdles as Plus Net can put before me and even then NOTHING gets done. Jeez what a company!
I have never received such apalling service from any company - ever! Best part about it all is I never signed up to PN but got transferred in when they took over my ISP! PN created the problem not me but it's down to me to sort it out. Utterly useless, ineffectual, pathetic, diabolical service. Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry Angry   

There's still no response from PUG or PN (in spite of me flagging it up to James Bailey). "Utterly useless, ineffectual, pathetic, diabolical service" seems rather appropriate!

jelv
chrisparr
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2012, 03:34:20 pm »

James flagged this thread to me and I've asked one of my team to look into the customers issues, I thought they had done this yesterday so will make sure it's done today.

Chris Parr
Plusnet Customer Relations Team
Service Status :: RSS :: Email
poppy

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2012, 08:07:41 am »

I'd be very sad to see these public forums go
Me too. It's a shame the Plusnet Usergroup Forum is not used more.  Maybe it could be promoted and folk encouraged to join in?  It's the bit of Plusnet that reminds me of how it used to be pre-BT and we were actually invited to Plusnet Towers. There was more of a personal feel although it was a large company even then (nothing in comparison to now I suppose).  From the swift reply that I received to my own recent query it would seem that the staff are supporting this forum and I hope that they will continue to do so.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
Mark Kelly

Ex Plusnet Staff 2006 - 2012

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2012, 03:23:59 pm »

Late to the party but . . . .

Should this forum be promoted? How would the customer benefit?

I'm with John on this one. PUG sure as hell aint what it once was and whilst I've a strong, historic attachment to PUG, I have to ask whatbis the way forward?

M

Kind regards,
Mark Kelly
dhookham
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2012, 07:17:22 pm »

It's a good question.

Poppy's point that the atmosphere here is noticeably different to the community site is perhaps its defining quality. Is that difference a compelling enough reason for those who currently use the community forums to visit here? What else does/could this set of forums provide that Community currently doesnt?

It's the PlusNet Way
Mark Kelly

Ex Plusnet Staff 2006 - 2012

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2012, 07:40:22 pm »

IMHO, absolutely nothing. The atmosphere here is that of tumbleweed blowing in the mists of history.

Dramatic and ott perhaps, however there's a serious debate needed and its very long overdue.

Mark

Kind regards,
Mark Kelly
poppy

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2012, 07:54:20 pm »

Is that difference a compelling enough reason for those who currently use the community forums to visit here?
It's a good enough reason for me, but not, perhaps for others.  However, I understand what Mark is saying - his metaphor is spot on.  I am no no longer a member of the other forum and have no plans to change that but sometimes I need support in the matter of technical issues.  The Usergroup members have always had a lot of experience and knowledge so are, or can be a useful resource.  

I run a forum myself which is 3 years old now.  It's been a long, hard slog to get it going and a huge learning curve.  I am retired so can spend time on it but I need to be in there frequently to see that everyone gets a reply and is not left high and dry.  We have a nice atmosphere although very occasionally there is an odd spat which is soon sorted out.  One of our members who no longer visits the forum kicked off a daily chat which has been hugely successful.  I change it at the beginning of each month so the thread doesn't become too long.  We talk about anything and get to know each other better in the process.  Now I know that Usergroup members might not be into chatting but it's just an example of how things can change.  One thing we don't talk about is politics BTW.  We also have a lot of female members but also some males so a better mix, unlike some forums where women are most definitely in the minority.

I'd love to see this forum resurrected, but it does need a concerted effort by all the Usergroup members.  If the will isn't there then yes, maybe things should be wound down in a dignified fashion.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
Penny

« Reply #13 on: October 21, 2012, 07:53:35 pm »

The atmosphere here is that of tumbleweed blowing in the mists of history.
... ott perhaps ...

Poetic but a tad uncalled for, perhaps :/

Fuller response on the other thread here.

Penny Rollo       Force 9 from 17/02/98       PlusNet from 2000 onwards     
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages http://www.happychild.org.uk
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
jelv1

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 11:37:49 am »

I think this question is still relevant.

When you look at the list of PUG members, some haven't even been on these forums for many, many months.

There is a case for a reduced version to allow us to talk about Usertools and the two or three PUG members who look after that, but I can't see the point of the rest. However a new board on the community forums would fit that bill.

jelv
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: