Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » BT Major Service outage
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BT Major Service outage  (Read 10281 times)
mfmlob

« on: April 30, 2011, 08:21:46 am »

There was a "BT Major Service Outage" in the Dysart (DSL101) - Fife area yesterday and a "degraded" service from 12.21 to just after midnight.  The great news is that I got through to Plusnet Customer Services very quickly, without lengthy call waiting (surprise!) and a very helpful young man gave me the web address status.plus.net so that I could check on BT progress myself via my iPhone (as I had no broadband internet connection on my PC).

My question is: does this major BT Service Outage indicate there will be a major improvement to my internet connection and telephony/telecomms service generally eg fast BB speeds?  My exchange is 01592 (one of several that was affected).
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2011, 02:32:21 pm »

I suspect the problem was simply equipment failure that required engineering work and new parts to fix.

However I think enabling of 21CN/ADSL2+ is imminent on your exchange which might give you faster speeds if your current sync speed is above 4-5Mbps.

You can check availability using the BT Wholesale checker here. The wording changes slightly if the service is currently available though I've forgotten precise details of this.
mfmlob

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2011, 09:38:13 am »

Thanks very much for your reply.  Can I post another issue regarding SORBS which is blacklisting my IP address (at least, this is what I have been told - that it is not my personal email address which is being targetted but all users on that IP address).  I'd like to get de-listed but am just running round in circles with this! You seem to be so knowledgeable.  Can you please help me with this?
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2011, 11:34:25 pm »

Do you mean mail served (rather than sent) from the IP address assigned to your connection is blacklisted? That is normal since being a dynamic address it would be most unusual for it to be used as a mail server.

I assume you send mail using relay.plus.net (or the equivalents for Force9, Freeonline, etc). If one of those servers has been blacklisted Plusnet Network Operations would have to contact SORBS to get the server de-listed. They would normally investigate then do this in response to your ticket.

However if this happens the problem normally gets mentioned by other users in the Community forums, and I don't recall any recently.

Do you have the IP address of the server that is said to be blacklisted?
mfmlob

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2011, 08:29:43 am »

Golly - I'm not sure I understand what you're saying.  I'll show it to someone who's more "technical" than myself and get back to you with answers.
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2011, 01:57:38 pm »

Sorry my reply was a bit technical, despite my efforts to simplify it.

I've checked the relay.plus.net IP addresses and they are *not* on any SORBS block list (nor on any of the other well-known block lists either). However your own IP address (the one you currently post from) *is* on the dul.dnsbl.sorbs.net block list; because of this it also appears on the all-embracing dnsbl.sorbs.net block list. This is *normal*, and simply means your IP address is a dynamic one. That is if you disconnect from Plusnet and reconnect you will be given a different one, and your current IP address becomes available for assignment to someone else. Trying to get the address de-listed is unnecessary and will not be successful.

The problem you have is probably being addressed from the wrong end. It looks like the recipient of your messages has their spam settings set to reject any mail sent from an unknown sender using a dynamic address. Sometimes this can be a "me first" process where they first have to send a message to you (the AOL system used to be set like that by default). Alternatively they might need to whitelist your email address, or ensure it is entered into their address book.

If they do operate a "me first" system it is essential the "sender address" you set is exactly the same as the one they send to. Similarly with whitelist or address book entries. Has the intended recipient tried sending a message to you?

Does the recipient have a spam folder, or are your messages simply refused?
mfmlob

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2011, 05:12:57 pm »

Hi thanks so much for you trouble.  I understood second time round!  The recipient rejecting my emails is the FE college where I work and I have been in touch with them about this but I don't think they know what to do.  I will, however, copy and paste your last reply to the ICT person dealing with it (unsuccessfully!).
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2011, 11:14:34 pm »

A good overview of the SORBS blocklist zone files can be found here. A quick fix for the current problem might be to use the recent.dnsbl.sorbs.net list rather than the all-embracing one (if that is what is done). The "recent" list contains IPs reported to have sent spam in the last 28 days.

However usually only the Mail Transfer Agent (server) passing on the mail to the college server would be checked against blocklists. That approach would avoid the problem with dynamic addresses that you (and potentially lots more people) are experiencing. It assumes the server administrators will have made it secure (preventing anonymous use), and take action to stop any user originating spam.
mfmlob

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2011, 09:10:11 am »

thanks, again.  what a super forum this is!
mfmlob

« Reply #9 on: May 07, 2011, 08:10:43 pm »

Hi - I passed on your information to my College ICT people and they've finally managed to sort the problem.  It's all thanks to you!
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #10 on: May 08, 2011, 01:53:20 pm »

Thanks. Glad to hear the problem has been resolved. smiley
mfmlob

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2011, 10:33:51 am »

Actually, there is now another problem and I wondered if you might be able to help.  I've now noticed that blueyonder have "blocked" my yahoo mail to blueyonder mail receipients.  With great difficulty, I managed to get of and speak to someone from Virgin Media about it - but got nowhere.  Any ideas as to what else I can do?  There are too many to speak to individually to request them to check their spam folders etc.
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2011, 07:03:10 pm »

Sorry I don't have anything specific to suggest for this problem. If you have an alternative email address/relay to send from/via you could try notifying those affected using this route.

A couple of years ago I was able to send messages from my Plusnet account to a blueyonder address when connected using either a dynamic or static IP. The same message sent by another user from their (dynamic IP) connection never arrived. The recipients had their spam filter set to "discard"; changing that to "spam folder" showed spam filtering was the problem, and with it off the message was received.

I think this problem was worked around but never resolved. sad
mfmlob

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2011, 10:58:14 pm »

Thanks very much.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: