Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Business Users Forum » What is the benefit of Business ADSL vs. Residential ADSL from Plus?
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: What is the benefit of Business ADSL vs. Residential ADSL from Plus?  (Read 15753 times)
Michelle

« on: April 04, 2011, 06:28:03 pm »

I ask the question because I currently have business broadband from Plus - I'm a very small SME - I pay much more than most of my customers (who are all residential customers), I receive a paltry 25p per month 'commission' for each of them.

My customers can refer someone to plus, and receive up to 3 months FREE connectivity from Plus - I get 25p per month.

My down speed is less than 2Mb, and the contention ratio difference between residential & business is unlikely to change that.

Last month's bill was discounted by around 7.00, so by inference that's 28 customers who have all been referred by me to plus - each of whom can make >30 by referring a friend - or to put put another way - I'd have SEVEN YEARS free internet if I was a residential customer.

So I ask again - what's the benefit so a micro SME of being a business customer? I pay more for my broadband, but get treated like a 2nd class customer. I'm paying Plus more than a residential customer, for the priviledge of being treated badly - is this some kind of Sado-masochistic group?

I have to be honest - I think it means Plus get to fiddle me out of 7 years internet, I'm paying about 30 per month.... you do the maths, the amount I have to spend over that period on ADSL connectivity at a very slow rate, that I wouldn't have to pay if I was a residential customer is more than TWO THOUSAND POUNDS Angry

Don't get me wrong, I like Plus; I like the 'My Questions' part of the member centre; I like the fact that you do give a damn; and I like the fact that (generally) I feel that the technical people I talk to there really do have a clue about technical stuff & customer awareness - but I'm becoming less & less impressed with the lack of incentive to refer customers to you. On balance, I'm more likely to refer my customers to an alternative ISP, because there is virtually no benefit to me to refer them to you.

So why should I refer customers to you? What are you going to do for me and other micro SME business customers, that would mean I don't you're taking the 'michael'?

Michelle

(who knows she's a seasoned IT professional, because the people offering her support weren't even born when she booted her first PC)
XPC exiled in NZ

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2011, 02:31:30 pm »

If you are working from home I think you can probably swing either way (residential or business) as suits your requirements (some people will be better served by residential and some by business packages).

If you have a business class of phoneline or commercial address, then I think you need a business package, as I don't think Plusnet would allow you to get a residential package in those circumstances.

In terms of differences between the two, business packages get a higher level of support, having a dedicated faster response business support team, although the consumer team are excellent too... just might need to wait longer for phone to be answered!

Also, the traffic shaping and line-speeds are different too... with business still being deployed by ADSL1 for stability (unless specifically requested), whereas residential is ADSL2+. However with fibre now being trumpeted, I'm sure business packages will soon be speeding up to at least ADSL2+ too.

The usergroup have created this product comparison tool to help you decide between the different packages.

Hope this helps.

Mike
Michelle

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2011, 05:55:27 pm »

Mike

Thank you for the product comparison info - made for interesting reading.

Strange though it may sound, I don't particularly object to paying > 32 per month for my unlimited broadband - what I object to is that referrals incentives are fundementally different for residential customers vs. business customers. There is, for example, a scheme around at the moment which offers 3 months free connection for a referring residential customer, and 3 months free for the referred residential customer. But if a Business customer makes the referral, they'll get a few quid, at most.

Plus still stand to make the same money from a newly referred residential customer, whether that referral was via a residential or business customer. So I find it bizarre that they are happy to share that (during "referral campaigns") with the referring residential customer, but not with a referring business customer. Maybe it's that giving a referring business customer 3 free months would cost more than they would make from a referred residential customer - but going some way to recognising the contribution made by business customers would be nice - hell, I'd settle for a nominal tenner per month for 3 months, or one month free - I'm not suggesting the world, just some more tangible recognition of the benefit to them of a referral, irrespective of whether that's via a business OR residential customer.

And yes, I acknowledge that as a business customer I might get prioritised support (never really noticed a difference to be honest), and yes, I acknowledge that ADSL 1 might be more stable than ADSL 2 (though I find it thorougly gauling that my next door neighbour, on a BT Business broadband ADSL 1 line gets (at the last check) something around 6Mb down speed, while I'm stuck on (as I type) Up:448k, Down:1,980k.  And maybe fibre is coming to the UK - but not in very rural Wales, on what was one of the last exchanges to be converted (and that in a University town, we aren't talking tiny out of the way villages with 3 houses & a post box)...

.... but I am paying a premium for that service, it's not as if I'm being given it free, gratis & for nothing. I'm simply asking Plus for even & equitable treatment of ALL of their customers, not absolute equality.

So as it stands at the moment, I'm seriously considering trying to find a plus residential customer, from the 30-odd I know, who is deserving of a little help & reduced Plus bills, and they can have my next referral's "3 months free" incentive - Plus expect to pay out to someone, seems silly to deny them the opportunity simply because I'm a business customer.

Michelle

Michelle

(who knows she's a seasoned IT professional, because the people offering her support weren't even born when she booted her first PC)
XPC exiled in NZ

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2011, 01:16:39 am »

Michelle,

Fully understand the sentiment. For many years now residential referrers have complained that they don't get as good offers as are given to the likes of uswitch website, so residential customers have been on the receiving end of the inequality too! Generally speaking the 25p a month is the standard referral fee, whereas uswitch and the like regularly had "3 months free deals" for the recipient AND uswitch got paid a healthy commission per signup.

There were many grumbles that referrers were getting a poor deal...

This recent special offer (and other like it) has some way redressed that, although it is only a temporary offer (which just expired) anyway.... and the gaps between offers are often too long.

Sadly these deals seem to only target the residential customer base (unless we are mistaken?), and so miss out customers like yourself.

With the higher subscriptions, I can see offering 3 months free to business might not cost in compared to income, so it would have to be proportionate (as you said)... but maybe the next referrer deal could include business accounts and be based upon credit to the account.

So Plusnet, what do you say?

Mike
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 10:42:56 am by XPC exiled in NZ »
pjmarsh
Usergroup Member

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 09:07:39 am »

Hi Michelle

Just a thought, would the Plusnet Partner Programme be any good for you?

Phil
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 09:35:35 am by pjmarsh »
jelv1

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2011, 09:32:41 am »

There's many ways of messing up a link - you seem to have found most of them! grin

Here's a good one: Plusnet Partner Programme

jelv
pjmarsh
Usergroup Member

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2011, 09:36:13 am »

Thanks jelv.  That's me rushing to get a coffee!

Phil
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: