Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Chit-Chat Channel » Jelv1 Have you ever searched with Google for Jelv1 ?
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Jelv1 Have you ever searched with Google for Jelv1 ?  (Read 3235 times)
bobmilton

« on: March 12, 2011, 12:21:52 am »

Jelv1
I did a Google search using Jelv1 and found the following from a link. It is an extract from the PUG Usergroup forum dated July 10 2007. If you use other identities you will get similar results. Interested? I raised a ticket no. 40376649 and got a 'nothing ' reply. What is happening I wonder.

"Without a border looks better to me. It's that the borders are double lines that I think looks naff - if it were a single line I'd probably prefer with a border.
How about using the option to default to using the same window in the way Google does when going to search results (target="pugit" would do it) - do people like that?"  
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2011, 07:59:51 am »

Simple, the google search engine is indexing our public forums.  Every word you write that is publicly visible on any website/forum will eventually get indexed by google unless you specifically include an instruction in your sites root folder instructing search engines not to index your site.  (Even then, some less scrupulous search engines will ignore your request and index your site anyway)

The piece you quoted was from this thread which is visible to any visitor.  You could find it using the search engine in the forums also.
bobmilton

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2011, 08:29:39 am »

Thanks. I was not aware that the Plusnet forums were in fact 'public'. I thought that as you needed to be registered and signed on that they would be privy only to Plusnet customers and not everyone. Am I being naive or just unaware?
I came across this when I searched using my own name and discovered a link to my personal details on Plusnet. I only tried the 'jelv1' search because it was an identity I remembered.
Should my Plusnet personal details be available to anyone (all), without me knowing?
Barry Zubel
Usergroup Member

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2011, 11:13:21 am »

Firstly, these forums are the Usergroup forums not the Plusnet forums

Secondly, everything you post on any public or semi-public forum will be visible.  If you're not comfortable with that, then simply don't register or post on any public forums.

B.

Plusnet Community Site Forum Moderator
I'm a customer, not an employee
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2011, 11:22:18 am »

I think TBH the answer is naive.  If you log out of the plusnet community forums or the usergroup forums what you see is what everyone can see whether registered member, visitor, or search engine.  Only sections you can't see when logged out will be invisible to "outsiders".  Many people though do not appreciate how much information they really give out on public forums.

Registration in forums allows you to post and see any hidden sections that are only available to registered members once you log in.

Most sites/forums won't restrict search engines such as google from indexing their content as a) It helps attract more people to their site if they are listed in search results and b) Most people looking for info if they have a problem will hit the google search button to search multiple sites at once.  If you deny the search engine access you also prevent those seeking answers from discovering solutions posted on your site.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: