Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Webmail
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Webmail  (Read 15594 times)
Oldjim

« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2010, 04:11:46 pm »

Just did my weekly check for spam (I don't store any emails on the server) and it was abysmally slow
vanessen

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2010, 12:12:32 pm »

Right guys...
Last I heard Webmail was going to be revisited next year. We're also in the process of moving mail across to a new storage platform (although it's only Madasafish that we've been moving, Plusnet is yet to start).

@poppy, most of your Roundcube problems could easily be sorted with a newer build/some platform refinements. I use the latest stable build of Roundcube on occasion to collect my personal mail and I get on really well with it. Business users do use Squirrel BTW.

@vanessen, your login problems are an odd one, but again this is something that would undoubtedly be sorted out if we were to officially launch a Webmail trial.
Bob- thanks for your personal attention to this.  The fact is, however, that PlusNet shows no signs of doing anything about improving the webmail service, and apparently will continue to delete our emails at short notice, while giving us no means of measuring our usage.  It must be deeply frustrating to you that PlusNet assigns such a low priority to fixing this absolutely deplorable 'service', which must tarnish the reputation of the whole operation.  I am going to explore alternatives which will involve abandoning PlusNet's webmail offering altogether.  It will take time, but I'm wasting too much time complaining fruitlessly. 
PlusNet is fine as an ISP. 
Sister company Just-the-name is fine as a domain registrar.
PlusNet's webmail service - don't touch it!
Oldjim

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2010, 06:28:45 pm »

Just had to send an email via webmail - God it was slow  Angry
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #18 on: December 17, 2010, 05:08:26 pm »

... and apparently will continue to delete our emails at short notice, while giving us no means of measuring our usage.

Not the case, I would point you to my post here but I'm sure you've already seen it Wink

It must be deeply frustrating to you that PlusNet assigns such a low priority to fixing this absolutely deplorable 'service', which must tarnish the reputation of the whole operation.  I am going to explore alternatives which will involve abandoning PlusNet's webmail offering altogether.  It will take time, but I'm wasting too much time complaining fruitlessly.

Not sure if you're aware but you can log into your account using a third party Webmail client like Mail2Web. When using this service you'll need to enter the email address as <username>@<server_address>. So if you log into Webmail with the username 'dave', you would log into Mail2Web using dave@mail.plus.net and your normal mailbox password.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2010, 05:10:11 pm by bpullen »

Midnight Caller

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2011, 07:44:27 am »

Hi Bob

If you do replace SquirrelMail you will need to replace it with something that complies with the Disability Discrimination Act, I can tell you RoundCube does not comply with the Disability Discrimination Act.

You can not use a text reader on it, but you can on SquirrelMail.

As I have said elsewhere SquirrelMail is out of date.
SquirrelMail Webmail Stable Version is: 1.4.21
SquirrelMail IMAP Proxy Stable Version is: 1.2.7
Extra Decoding Library Stable Version is: 1.2 for iPhones

Force9
Force9 Since 3 July 1998

PlusNet
PlusNet Since 6 Febuary 2001
Barry Zubel
Usergroup Member

« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2011, 11:14:54 am »

As webmail is somewhat of an optional service, and there are many other ways of accessing your mail which do comply with the DDA, then it's a bit of a silly statement to make Gary.

B.

Plusnet Community Site Forum Moderator
I'm a customer, not an employee
Colin
Usergroup Member

« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2011, 11:34:12 am »

As I have said elsewhere SquirrelMail is out of date.

Can you prove SquirrelMail is out of date? This would seem a strange thing for Plusnet to let happen, given the entire reason that SquirrelMail was implemented in the first place...

Colin Ogilvie
Plusnet Usergroup Member
Using: Plusnet Extra
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2011, 12:17:50 pm »

As webmail is somewhat of an optional service, and there are many other ways of accessing your mail which do comply with the DDA, then it's a bit of a silly statement to make Gary.

B.

I'd disagree, where a service is provided it should take into account the needs of the disabled as a matter of good practice regardless of alternatives.  Any replacement for squirrel mail should take the needs of those with disabilities into account if possible.
Midnight Caller

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2011, 01:02:59 pm »

Can you prove SquirrelMail is out of date? This would seem a strange thing for Plusnet to let happen, given the entire reason that SquirrelMail was implemented in the first place...

Yes See
Squirrel Mail would worke if PlusNet updated the email Servers with the latest Stable version of Squirrel Mail what is Version: 1.4.21, plus update SquirrelMail IMAP Proxy Stable Version: 1.2.7, and updated the Extra Decoding Library Stable Version: 1.2

The email Servers are running a out of date version of Squirrel Mail.

@Bob can you get the email Servers updated with the latest Stable Version of Squirrel Mail, plus SquirrelMail IMAP Proxy, and the Extra Decoding Library for iPhones?

Reply from: Matt Taylor
Quote from: Reply #45
We'll certainly raise it internally but I'm not sure it'll happen - that'd be a fair amount of work which might as well be spent implementing the decided on solution rather than patching what's there. We'll see what's said though.
That is what is known as letting the cat out of the bag.   smiley  wink

[Edit]

@Barry Zubel, See NB's Reply.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2011, 01:10:21 pm by Midnight Caller »

Force9
Force9 Since 3 July 1998

PlusNet
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 03:57:15 pm »

Squirrel Mail would worke if PlusNet updated the email Servers with the latest Stable version of Squirrel Mail what is Version: 1.4.21, plus update SquirrelMail IMAP Proxy Stable Version: 1.2.7, and updated the Extra Decoding Library Stable Version: 1.2

And that assumption is based on what exactly? The version of SquirrelMail in use is not the problem here. IMO it's the underlying architecture that's the largest contributing factor. The fact that the IMAP errors have become far less frequent since this work was carried out is testament to that.

Gary, we will consider your comments about the DDA, it's something you've raised awareness of numerous times in the past. To be honest, we'd probably look to run a couple of systems in tandem prior to any big switch any way.

Midnight Caller

« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2011, 09:21:47 pm »

So Bob what version is PlusNet running?

Is it out of date or not?

Force9
Force9 Since 3 July 1998

PlusNet
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2011, 09:20:25 am »

It's a custom build with the unused plugins removed. It isn't the latest revision AFAIK, but is recent enough not to be subject to any dangerous exploits.

jelv1

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2011, 09:31:40 am »

There are two totally unrelated factors here: performance and features.

Yes, the latest version of SquirrelMail may have new features or improvements to the interface which may address some of the complaints people have about it, but it wouldn't improve performance in any way (in any case in my experience it's not unusual for newer versions of software to be slower).

jelv
XPC exiled in NZ

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2011, 10:38:09 am »

newer versions can be faster though... and even occasionally... MUCH faster. But I agree, more common is for newer version to be slower or same speed on the same hardware!

Mike
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: