Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Webmail
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Webmail  (Read 15623 times)
poppy

« on: December 07, 2010, 12:42:58 pm »

There is a huge thread about Squirrelmail (commenced by PN staff) on the Community forum.  I would say that most of the comments are negative and people are wanting a better service.
Plusnet seem to have gone strangely silent on the subject - odd considering that SM was only meant to be a short-term solution after the security breach.
Is this something that PUG are in discussions with PN about? Hope so.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 04:22:47 pm »

Is this something that PUG are in discussions with PN about? Hope so.

Thanks for raising this topic. It's some considerable time since other priorities led to webmail replacement having its priority reduced.

I have now raised this in our private forums.

David
poppy

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 05:06:57 pm »

Thank you. Hopefully 2011 might bring something satisfactory - hope its not RoundCube though (unless it is a newer/better version than the one we already have).

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
jelv1

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2010, 08:31:21 pm »

Which version of Roundcube is it running?

jelv
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2010, 10:33:26 pm »

It's v 0.2-alpha released in June 2008, so considerably out of date now. The current version is 0.5-beta.

Some of the alternatives that had been looked at (by Plusnet) before RoundCube was selected for trial were:

pjmarsh
Usergroup Member

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 08:30:32 am »

Hi Poppy

More for personal interest than anything else, but what don't you like about RoundCube?  I rarely use it with Plusnet, but use it a fair bit for my own email hosted elsewhere and like a great deal.  From memory there are a few differences between the Plusnet version and my version, but I don't think it's a great deal.

Thanks

Phil
XPC exiled in NZ

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 01:46:35 pm »

It has all gone a bit hazy in my mind... but was @mail the one that got compromised at Plusnet?

The reason I ask is that at the time when I looked into the alternatives, I thought their latest versions looked to be very good and might actually be the best platform to move to. 

As I remember it, the main problem was that Plusnet were running a highly customised version of the software, which made updating and patching very difficult, so it was left insecure. It was also a completely different language base that was not in current development any longer.

Clearly there were good reasons to distance themselves from the failed platform at the time, as it would have a bad perception in people's minds. However now, with the passing of time, and the annoyance of squirrelmail more dominant in people's minds, it might be that moving back to the latest version, might be a good option.

But of course, all the platforms will have moved on in that time anyway... so the current leader might be one that didn't look so good a couple of years back!

We need to get a wider set of opinions & views on what webmail platforms other use elsewhere and like/dislike etc.

Mike
poppy

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2010, 01:51:37 pm »

I mentioned problems with it in the RoundCube trial thread over on the Community forum.

1.   The main thing is text wrapping - doesn't exist on this version and I just have to keep scrolling across the screen.
I have RC for my website email and it is OK so must be a later version.
2.   When I log on it now saves my username and password (didn't at first and had to input it every time I visited). However, it doesn't store the ISP selection so have to click for Force 9 every time.  Does not make a difference whether I use IE or Firefox.
3.   Next, because of the way the deletion works you always have to double click to open an email - I am a single-click person so have to remember when I use it.
4.   Speed - it does not seem to be any quicker than SM but this is purely subjective so I might be wrong.

However, it is an improvement on Squirrelmail and I would use it more but for the aforementioned niggles.

Gary, who as you know has dyslexia reports difficulties with it so this also needs to be checked out.

With regards to this topic, may I suggest one of those polls that we have had in the past?  At least it might help to make Plusnet understand how strongly customers feel about this matter.  I would imagine that a link from the current huge thread on the community forum 'Squirrelmail: Do you dig it?' would bring people over to the PUG site to vote.

*Mike - our posts crossed, you getting there first. Yes, despite the breach I did like this too and would very much like to try out the latest version.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 01:53:25 pm by poppy »

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
XPC exiled in NZ

« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2010, 01:59:53 pm »

With regards to this topic, may I suggest one of those polls that we have had in the past?  At least it might help to make Plusnet understand how strongly customers feel about this matter.  I would imagine that a link from the current huge thread on the community forum 'Squirrelmail: Do you dig it?' would bring people over to the PUG site to vote.

I suspect it'd be better to run a poll on community for maximum exposure, since to participate over here, they'd need to sign up here, and that might be a barrier to a high take up... of course would be great to see some more people over here, so either might be good!

Maybe we should start over here with a "more technical poll", to gather opinions and refine the options down, to then make a more manageable poll on Community at at later date for higher exposure?

Mike
poppy

« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2010, 02:33:09 pm »

Yes,I had thought in the same terms of the points you have raised.
I am happy to go along with any PUG decision if they decide to go ahead with this idea.
One other thought occurred in relation to the Plusnet tie up with BT - would it not be possible to try out their webmail? I have never had BT broadband so don't know what they use but is this not a possibility?

*Should have looked earlier - it is Yahoo mail by the looks of things and I recall setting an account up for a friend a while ago.  I liked it but with all the bells and whistles that come with it - who wouldn't?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 02:38:23 pm by poppy »

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
vanessen

« Reply #10 on: December 11, 2010, 04:32:23 pm »

In my opinion there are two separate issues.
The main one is PlusNet's handling of their webmail service.  This is the cause of most of the negative comments on the 'Squirrelmail' forum.
The subsidiary one is the platform itself (Squirrelmail, Roundcube or whatever).  I have been given access to the PlusNet Beta webmail service, based on Roundcube, and have used it for some time, and it is no better. It is still as slow, it has major flaws, and worst of all, about half the time the login doesn't work at all. 

PlusNet's management of their webmail service is lamentable.  A recent post summarised the problems (quoting 'roughyed'):
1. Chronically slow responses to the simplest operations......
2. Disconnection from the IMAP server at any time. .....
3. No information on file size. This is particularly frustrating .....

My experience has been particularly dire.  PlusNet actually DELETED most of my emails, at short notice, while I was abroad, because I was apparently above some (uncertain) usage limit - while not offering any means of measuring the usage!

I see no evidence that PlusNet is intending to improve the webmail offering.  If they would say so, then we can get on with migrating to a better alternative.  But as we know that PlusNet can probably do this very well, if only they could devote some resources to it, we are reluctant to suffer the disruption and abandon those nice people from Yorkshire.  I'd be happy to pay for a decent service, just as I do with Fastmail.

Am I refecting anyone else's viewpoint?
poppy

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2010, 05:44:25 pm »

Am I reflecting anyone else's viewpoint?
  In a word - yes!
I would like to know what the current offering is to business users.  If it is SM then I am surprised that they are putting up with it.

Force 9
Joined 03 June 2004
Oldjim

« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2010, 11:18:38 am »

Can I broaden it a little.
One of the major complaints is the slowness on the webmail system but I would suggest that this is only another symptom of the general sluggish behaviour of the portal as a whole.
It is the slowest site I ever use and surely must be either due to rotten system design or grossly inadequate server/link capacity
bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2010, 12:40:27 pm »

Right guys...

Jim, I don't think the speed of the portal is anything to do with the way Webmail performs. The portal problems are far more likely to be due to database performance and the absence of image caching.

Last I heard Webmail was going to be revisited next year. We're also in the process of moving mail across to a new storage platform (although it's only Madasafish that we've been moving, Plusnet is yet to start).

@poppy, most of your Roundcube problems could easily be sorted with a newer build/some platform refinements. I use the latest stable build of Roundcube on occasion to collect my personal mail and I get on really well with it. Business users do use Squirrel BTW.

@vanessen, your login problems are an odd one, but again this is something that would undoubtedly be sorted out if we were to officially launch a Webmail trial.

Oldjim

« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2010, 12:49:42 pm »

Bob,
I wouldn't have expected image caching to be a factor given the limited number of images and the fact that the delay is showing as "Waiting for" not loading.
It does sound like the backend database may be the culprit so when is it going to be fixed or even put on the development programme
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: