Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » No phone & no internet for a month.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: No phone & no internet for a month.  (Read 5841 times)
gpsmout

« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2010, 05:51:27 pm »

The saga continues: since the intervention of JoJo ( see above) BT Open Reach  have attended on 3 separate occasions over the last week.
1. OR attended last Tuesday & made a temporary repair and phone and internet was restored and worked perfectly for 4 days.
2. OR returned on Friday to make a permanent repair after which there was neither phone nor internet service.
3. OR returned yesterday to repair their repair and restored phone service but could not get a sync on adsl. I spoke by phone with the engineer in attendance who informed me the phone line was perfect with no noise. he said something was wrong at the exchange but that he was phone engineer and didn't deal with broadband problems so he had no gear to test ADSL . He suggested I bring a spare router a carry out a test. SO I did, and when I checked the line with my trusty ears I could hear a fair amount of noise and  my trusty old D link router failed to sync just as the existing house router failed as well.

This fault is due to a damaged cable that passes through trees. Instead of replacing the cable we suspect that the engineer has hunted round for a working  pair in a section of the the damaged cable, found one that worked on audio,(just ) and left it. The problem with ADSL is that the more joins in a cable, the more likely it is that ADSL will not work as each join reduced the likely hood of a successful ADSL signal.

Graham

To fix this connection if this connection  OR will need to replace the entire affected cable instead of knitting together lumps of 50 year old damaged cable.
mjtaylor

« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 12:02:22 pm »

Hi gpsmout,

If the whole wire needs replacing that'd be far more likely done as part of a phone fault than as a broadband one. Is the line still noisy, with just one phone in the master socket and everything else removed? If so I'll get that raised for you straight away with the information you've posted above, hopefully that'll get some movement on it for you.

Hope that helps,

Regards,

Matt Taylor
Plusnet Support
gpsmout

« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 05:54:34 pm »

Well an OR "broadband" engineer came and did something today and now the internet and phone works. So I'll monitor this for my neighbours for the next week or so and see what happens. On Monday I spoke with the telephone engineer (who told me he didn't do braodband)  on the phone who said he could not detect ( with his ears) any noise on the line, but when I arrived and tested the phone straight into the master socket there was plenty of noise to be heard with my ears. Apparently telephone engineers can only use their ears to detect noise whereas broadband engineers carry with them special equipment specially for this purpose.
mjtaylor

« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2010, 11:50:01 am »

Hi gpsmout,

I know you've PM'd Jojo with the details of this account, just wondering if you could send them to me as well so I can take a look into this for you? If the line is still noisy then it definitely needs a repeat visit, not sure why the engineer who'd attended couldn't look at this for you unless he'd been there a while and needed to get on to the next job.

Regards,

Matt Taylor
Plusnet Support
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: