Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » smtp authentication from other networks
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: smtp authentication from other networks  (Read 3374 times)
logiprime

« on: July 24, 2010, 06:58:23 am »

Hi

I can't connect to PN's smtp server when connected to a different network, and have been told on the  phone by PN support that smtp authentication is no longer supported from other networks.

Surely this is not correct?
jelv1

« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2010, 08:30:54 am »

It's not true - SMTP authentication is still supported. I suggest you post a ticket number so that one of the Comms team can identify your account, see who you spoke to and educate them accordingly.

Are you trying correctly? You must use the user name and password that you use to log in to the portal, NOT the mailbox username and password. Also you must have SSL turned off.

It's most likely that the reason for your problem is not PN but that the outgoing port 25 connection is being blocked by the network you are trying from. That is not at all uncommon.

jelv
jelv1

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2010, 08:38:59 am »

Can we keep this all in one place please - I suggest http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,87618.0.html

jelv
logiprime

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2010, 08:39:22 am »

It's not true - SMTP authentication is still supported.

Thanks - yes I thought it must be!

Are you trying correctly? You must use the user name and password that you use to log in to the portal, NOT the mailbox username and password. Also you must have SSL turned off.

Yes that's all ok.

It's most likely that the reason for your problem is not PN but that the outgoing port 25 connection is being blocked by the network you are trying from. That is not at all uncommon.

Ah yes - that's probably it - I'll check and let the PN support know!
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2010, 11:13:06 am »

Moderator's Note: Locked in favour of the Community topic mentioned by jelv1 which contains additional information.

David
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: