Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Plusnet Exchange Market based pricing policies
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  
Author Topic: Plusnet Exchange Market based pricing policies  (Read 20562 times)
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2010, 10:41:24 pm »

The price Plusnet will charge you will be based on the price BTw charge Plusnet - regardless of what a Plusnet CS rep has said.  If BTw charge it out as a Market 2 exchange to ISP's such as Plusnet then Plusnet will charge it out the same to customers.  To do otherwise would mean Plusnet making a substantial loss on every connection at that exchange.
Trentham Exchange User

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2010, 08:35:21 am »

Well perhaps that is what plusnet are going to do. As the Exchange is Market 3 as defined by Ofcom then maybe plusnet pay Market 3 prices to BTW. Until I get my bill I won't know for sure. Watch this space.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 09:36:21 am by Trentham Exchange User »
Oldjim

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2010, 09:56:36 am »

No it isn't - see my reply http://usergroup.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,7103.msg90681.html#msg90681
nadger
Usergroup Member

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2010, 11:26:34 am »

Thanks for providing the relevant dates, Oldjim.

It does seem that the OP has been unfortunate in that the 4th provider was only proposed at the time the exchange status was finalised so the under 10,000 rule applied.

Regards

John
Trentham Exchange User

« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2010, 02:16:29 pm »

I'm sorry Oldjim but you don't seem to read,  understand or believe what I have previously posted. At least you now seem to accept that as  it currently stands Trentham falls within the definition of Market 3. I think your point is that when the list was published it did not fall within the definition . I whole heartedly agree with you on this. Where we seem to be at odds is that you believe that until Ofcom publishes a new updated list, then exchanges like Trentham have to remain in the original Market even though they no longer fit the definition. I would really like to know on what you base this assumption? Have Ofcom stated that the list is static and can only be updated by themselves. I would really like to see this. Perhaps you can post a link. Samknows have on several occassions tried to have the list updated to be told that the list is not static. Ofcom have told me that the list is not static and it is for the providers to place themselves in the correct Market in line with the Regulations. As Ofcom were at pains to tell me they regulate. The providers provide within the constrain of the regulations. If you don't believe  what I am saying about the Ofcom response, ask them yourself. There is a number on their web site.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 02:20:41 pm by Trentham Exchange User »
Oldjim

« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2010, 02:44:58 pm »

I have talked to Ofcom which was a total waste of time but the little information I managed to glean is the BTw are still regulated for any exchange where Ofcom have the decreed that it is Market 1 or market 2.
The only organisation which can change the classification is Ofcom.
The fact that an ISP or BTw or indeed any interested party can request a change is just that - a request - for Ofcom to make that change they would need to consult with other interested parties which would include the various LLU operators.
Until Ofcom make that change (from Market 2 to Market 3) the exchange is still regulated and as such BTw are not allowed to reduce their prices to the various ISP's.
Statements such as "It is up to the ISP to set prices" are all well and good but the fact is that Ofcom are regulating the base cost to the ISP and until that is changed no ISP will reduce their prices below the viable level.
Trentham Exchange User

« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2010, 03:08:01 pm »

I take it from what you are saying Oldjim, that there is no document which says that Markets are Static. I appreciate that Ofcom aren't the easiest people to talk to, but in the interest of the consumer we need to get a definitive answer on this. It's ok for you , I and others on here to pontificate on our beliefs, but unless  backed by tangible evidence then nothing changes for the consumers. As a matter of interest I looked at the first 48 exchanges published as Market 3 by Ofcom in May2008 .Of those 4 now fell into the definition of Market 3. That is almost 10.5% of the first 48 on the list. If that is replicated across the entire list, then it is hugh amount of consumers who are being over charged. I am new to PUG but I would imagine that those involved like yourself have an interest in fellow plusnet customers, and you would not want to see them at a disadvantage. Indeed there are probably other members who this directly effect. Anything that you and others can do to help sort this would no doubt help your fellow members. I am currently on hols (using iPhone hence occassional mistake)but when I get back I will be writing a letter to Ofcom asking for clarification of the issues raised. It's ok having verbal answers, but far better to have things in writing.  (I will be checking the whole list when back from holiday)
« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 03:09:50 pm by Trentham Exchange User »
nadger
Usergroup Member

« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2010, 04:57:01 pm »

Before someone else says it 4 is actually 8.333% of 48  rolleyes

As you obviously have a financial interest in proving that Trentham ( are the gardens still as nice?) is a Market 3 exchange then perhaps you should take it up with Ofcom, in writing, when you return from holiday. Perhaps you could organise a local petition.

Overall it does seem that an up to date review of exchange status is required but that's, as previously said, down to Ofcom. Sam Knows do collaborate with Ofcom so possibly you could raise this on their forums.

« Last Edit: June 25, 2010, 05:00:47 pm by nadger »

Regards

John
Trentham Exchange User

« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2010, 09:34:00 am »

Thanks for that Nadger I will amend my figures. Even at 8.33 % which in old money is 1/12, that's alot of potential over charged  customers. The Gardens are as nice as ever, thanks for asking.
nadger
Usergroup Member

« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2010, 09:54:05 am »

The Gardens are as nice as ever, thanks for asking.
Totally OTS but must be about 60 years since I first visited them - my mother was born in Longton, around 1900, and still had family there  smiley

Regards

John
JBailey

« Reply #40 on: June 28, 2010, 01:27:06 pm »

What Oldjim states is true.

It is up to Ofcom to deregulate the exchange.  Regardless of what you have been told by our staff, Ofcome control the list of exchanges that BT Wholesale are able to offer cheaper prices on and until this is updated, you should be charged MArket 1/2 pricing.

As I mentioned, I'll give you a ring when you're back from holiday.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
nadger
Usergroup Member

« Reply #41 on: June 28, 2010, 04:21:32 pm »

Do I see a title change, James  wink

Regards

John
Trentham Exchange User

« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2010, 12:48:35 pm »

Eureka,
It has finally been confirmed by Plusnet, Trentham is a Market 3 Exchange, and my billing has been adjusted accordingly. Here is a copy of the Service Notification for those of you who doubted that it could be changed.

"Market changed to 3 using the switchMarketAdslComponent.php script" grin grin grin
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #43 on: September 16, 2010, 11:14:37 pm »

Excellent result grin

I think this change is in the Ofcom August 2010 consultation.
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2010, 06:21:56 am »

I'm a little surprised though that plusnet have amended your account before the review is completed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4
  Print  

Jump to: