Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Chit-Chat Channel » That rings a bell !
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: That rings a bell !  (Read 6877 times)
shutter

« on: May 10, 2010, 09:35:49 pm »

Today, we went out to buy replacement DECT phone as ours had given up the ghost,.... we decided that we would get 3 handsets to "make life easy" inasmuchas we need not run around the house, looking for the one that was ringing!....

We got the 3 handsets, maker Eurotel, in ASDA for 30.00 which I consider an excellent bargain.... each hand set has it`s own base  to sit on, and it charges the batteries, whilst not being used.... another big advantage is..... they are standard AAA rechargable batteries, so IF they should need replacing, it will be easier and more cost effective to do that, than have to replace the whole set up....

so here we are.... Two people, living in a two bedroom bungalow, with 4 phones..... AND two mobiles (one each)....

How many phones do you have?

oh yes, we have 4 t.v`s as well.... ! ! ...
Midnight Caller

« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2010, 10:18:33 pm »

I had 3 DECT phone but some one got on the frequency and got to make Free Calls from my line.  Angry

I now use hard wired phones only, I have 5 on 1 line with the ringer turned off on all but 2 phones.

I have over 20 mobile phones, but I use only 2 for me and 1 for my lass, the rest of them are not used, I should get rid of them.   embarassed

Force9
Force9 Since 3 July 1998

PlusNet
PlusNet Since 6 Febuary 2001
pjmarsh
Usergroup Member

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2010, 07:29:08 am »

We have 3 dect handsets (lounge, bedroom and office), and 3 mobiles (mine, my work mobile and my wifes).  So 6 phones between 2 of us!  What may be more over the top is that we have 7 phone numbers as well!  One for each of the mobiles, the land line number, Plusnet's VOIP number, and I have 2 numbers with Sipgate!

Phil
artificer

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2010, 07:47:10 am »

i tried that handset lark and could never find the wretched thing, so i've gone back to a fixed phone where i can always find it.
jelv1

« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2010, 08:17:35 am »

2 BT lines

Line 1 to office only with telephone/fax and answer phone.

Line 2 1 wired and 3 DECT handsets (lounge, kitchen, bedroom) (We've always called the DECT the "walkabout phone"; our daughter is on the autistic spectrum so she takes that literally and walks round and round in circles when she uses it).

3 mobiles

jelv
Foresee

Not young enough to know everything

« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2010, 08:18:29 am »

A BT Diverse 5000 series base with two handsets, and an old 1000 series handset as spare. One mobile each.

A big plus for us with cordless phones is the internal intercom facility.

Most things are somewhere else
shutter

« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2010, 08:19:07 am »

@ pjmarsh..... Oh thank you for that.!   lol  I can now call myself "normal"... judging by the other responses ! !   lol

and I can tell my grand daughter about your phones..... (it was her remarks that led me to put this post on here ! ! !)

@ gary.... YES ! you should give them to the P.D.S.A.... they will re-cycle them and the money helps to pay for their services, which are free to people on low incomes/council rent allowance etc.... although they do like you to put a few pounds in when you make a visit...

We have a PDSA hospital at the top of our road, and they do some really good work,..... some operations on animals can cost 2,000..... so you see, it will help ... even if only a small way.

jmd

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 08:43:54 am »

I live on my own and I have 2 cordless phones - one upstairs, one down and 2 mobiles [which I only use for emergencies].
Sometimes though the upstairs one ends up downstairs along with other one so then when phone goes upstairs I have to dash downstairs to find it which wrecks the idea of having a phone available upstairs!!  [memo to self - take the phone back upstairs!]
Loombucket

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 09:29:08 am »

Luxury!  Me and t'wife have to manage wi' two tin cans on a bit o' string.  When t'string gets eaten by t'ferret we're incommunicado for bloody weeks until we can afford to get a new bit.

You lot just don't know you're born...

troll

I have the physique of a god - unfortunately it's Bhudda.
nadger
Usergroup Member

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 09:51:50 am »

Luxury!  Me and t'wife have to manage wi' two tin cans on a bit o' string. 
Same here but our cans came from Harrods  thumbup

Regards

John
shutter

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2010, 09:54:47 am »

Ah yes, I remember them well!.... way back in the early 1950`s.... great fun...
How technology has changed over the years... from inter tin..... to inter net !   lol
petlew

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2010, 10:59:17 am »

So you use empty broad bean cans to get on the internet then!!

Confucius said...
nadger
Usergroup Member

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2010, 11:04:24 am »

Nope - baked bean cans so our connection goes like the wind  blush

Regards

John
shutter

« Reply #13 on: May 11, 2010, 11:09:54 am »

There was a problem to start with, because the string between the cans could not handle two sessions of traffic at the same time, so, to counteract this, we decided to add a second string.... then realised that it would be better to use a length of ribbon, and so coined the phrase "broad band" communications.   (not Broad Bean communications.)
« Last Edit: May 11, 2010, 11:12:17 am by shutter »
ASBOdog

« Reply #14 on: May 11, 2010, 11:55:15 am »

1 dect phone and lost count of the amount of mobile's in this house, all thoe most have been through the washer or droped in cup of coffee, by the misses might i add. me i can have a mobile for years i still run this old banger as a 2nd phone as i love it for being able to drop of a roof and still be powered up and its flashlight is one of the most useful additions to any phone http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/411A9EJSK7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: