Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Chit-Chat Channel » Nautical Music on tv
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Nautical Music on tv  (Read 8127 times)
SRD

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2010, 08:59:56 am »

I'll have to have another look, I was sure one of them mentioned that they remembered it being sung by an aged relative.
Foresee

Not young enough to know everything

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2010, 11:52:03 am »

At 28:06 the narrator says that the first sea song that Gareth learnt as a child was a Scottish song called Shoals of Herring - but of course it wasn't Scottish, only the subject matter was. At 30:00 Irene says that it was her father's favourite song. No mention of Ewan MacColl.  sad

Most things are somewhere else
SRD

« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2010, 09:40:16 pm »

But it ain't Scottish, it's supposed to be based on a Norfolk fisherman (Sam Larner of Winterton) and was sung by him (I think) in the Radio Ballad 'Singing the Fishing'.  I don't know how old Irene was (I haven't looked at the programme again), or her father when he sang the song.
The thing that bothers me is the inaccuracy of what supposed to be a history of shanties and sea songs.  The Radio Ballad was an important part of that history if only as a retrospective.
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: