Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Chit-Chat Channel » Do we start using this forum for light hearted chat?
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  
Author Topic: Do we start using this forum for light hearted chat?  (Read 38423 times)
petlew

« Reply #105 on: May 09, 2010, 04:11:05 pm »

Now now guys!  Moderation policy here is quite relaxed, but let's not have rerun of will she / won't she go away in this forum please police  Can we just agree to let that aspect drift away lest we become embroiled in a similar debate.  In particular I would prefer to avoid direct challenges to the moderation policy on the Plusnet forums - it's a difficult enough task as it is.  They have more constraints than we do to contend with?  Harmony between the two teams is highly valued and I for one would prefer not to risk that because of a single individual.

Maurice

I think that's well put MauriceB. Lets not cut off our noses to spite our faces.

However, my twopenneth is: a certain party has the unmitigated gall to call us "sad people"

Confucius said...
Midnight Caller

« Reply #106 on: May 09, 2010, 08:48:09 pm »

Call it kids behind the bike sheds if you will - it's our choice, isn't it?
Yes it is our choice.  I am sorry to say that I will ban her from my forum but you lot are welcome to join my forum.

Pruning???  A good dose of weed killer may be better wink
You owe me a new keyboard and monitor.   lol

Force9
Force9 Since 3 July 1998

PlusNet
PlusNet Since 6 Febuary 2001
shutter

« Reply #107 on: May 09, 2010, 09:09:57 pm »

Have just registered, on your chit chat board, and bookmarked it...... smiley

(thinks.... wonder why Gary wants a trouble maker like me to join his forum...   no  . hmm ... he did say it was quiet on there...      Lips Sealed     . wonder if he thinks I may "liven it up a bit " !)   evil evil evil
Midnight Caller

« Reply #108 on: May 09, 2010, 11:37:07 pm »

@shutter, I really hope that you do liven up my forum.

Force9
Force9 Since 3 July 1998

PlusNet
PlusNet Since 6 Febuary 2001
jelv1

« Reply #109 on: May 10, 2010, 10:40:29 am »

I've just posted the following to the Community forums:

You are invited to attend regular gatherings to participate in light-hearted chat about anything and everything, a bit of banter about current news stories, swap a few jokes and atrocious puns. For months (if not years) this arrangement works well.

Then along come a couple of new people, they insist on talking about subjects you are not interested in, in very loud voices such that you find it very difficult to ignore. You ask them to stop or at least quieten down and let the gatherings continue the way they always have, they do moderate the volume for a little while, but then return to their same loud ways. One of the regular attenders of the gatherings makes more fuss than others which results in the organisers saying that while he can stand outside and look in through the windows, he cannot participate in the gathering.

Finally, having got totally fed up with what is going on, some of the regular attenders have a quiet word amongst themselves and agree to quietly withdraw and meet up elsewhere - thus avoiding ongoing conflicts with the newcomers.

The newcomers then make comments such as we have seen in this topic.

I question the behaviour of the newcomers, and also the organisers for not making it clear to the newcomers that they either fit in to the way the gatherings have operated for years or find a more suitable venue for discussing the subjects that interest them.

jelv
petlew

« Reply #110 on: May 10, 2010, 11:09:51 am »

I'd like to be associated with jelv1's remarks, they are very well put.

For the record, I look at Community Chit Chat on a regular basis offline. But it is no longer the friendly, dare I say knock-about humorous place it used to be. This world is a dangerous humourless enough place as it is (especially if you happen to believe any of the recent posting in chit chat) Its nice to have somewhere to go and be a bit daft if you want to. The majority of members are very intelligent sensible people, but that doesn't mean we can't find humour for the silliest of reasons occasionally.  

To assiduously comply with Be3G's chit chat sticky I find I have nothing to contribute to the other forum at present, if I did it most probably would be seen as offensive by some. The fact that their contributions are seen as unnecessary by many others seems to be completely lost. So it is probably better to stay away from it. I'm all for freedom of speech but, lets try and keep it in perspective. Freedom of speech is a two-way street.

Edit: PS. I worry more about upsetting the previously existing users of PUG than I do those bent on destroying Community chit chat.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2010, 11:26:14 am by petlew »

Confucius said...
nadger
Usergroup Member

« Reply #111 on: May 10, 2010, 11:23:00 am »

I think it's essential to have somewhere one can go and be silly - personally I think it helps one to stay sane. dance

Regards

John
jmd

« Reply #112 on: May 10, 2010, 11:44:42 am »

I agree with that sentiment very much - you do need some humour in life and there is enough bad news/irritating stuff around without having to constantly find it on a Forum that one used to enjoy...............
jelv1

« Reply #113 on: May 10, 2010, 11:55:42 am »

Why don't we start derailing all their doom and gloom topics with jokes, frivolity etc? Whilst it might be off-topic for the thread it would be totally on-topic for the forum! We've never had moderator intervention in the past for people going off-topic in Chit Chat so they'd better not start now!

jelv
petlew

« Reply #114 on: May 10, 2010, 12:07:12 pm »

We've never had moderator intervention in the past for people going off-topic in chit chat

I'm not sure that's entirely so, but the principle is probably sound.

Confucius said...
jelv1

« Reply #115 on: May 10, 2010, 12:15:52 pm »

Quote from: Steve M
No it means you all better get starting new threads again for others to enjoy, Not every thread is going to be " For you" so make your own, Wheres strat?? This is going off topic Tongue

Quote from: Oldjim
It's Chit Chat it's allowed to  Grin

jelv
jelv1

« Reply #116 on: May 10, 2010, 12:27:13 pm »

One of the moderators has got to go!

I fail to see any posts in Chit Chat that aren't  "General Chat".

Whilst you may disagree jelv, it may be time to hop off the soapbox and tuck it away in the corner for another day.  You have made your own decision as to where you would like to have your own little group of 'chit chat', (for those of you unaware, clique here to join them)

I would rather see our Chit Chat board settle down to the way it used to be.

B.

He may think it was clever to post the link as "clique here" - I'd call him a smart arse!

jelv
nadger
Usergroup Member

« Reply #117 on: May 10, 2010, 12:35:46 pm »

Lets no go there, please, as the person you refer to is also a usergroup member.

Regards

John
Foresee

Not young enough to know everything

« Reply #118 on: May 10, 2010, 12:43:50 pm »

I'd rather settle here peacefully than start a war. 

Most things are somewhere else
zx81

« Reply #119 on: May 10, 2010, 01:44:29 pm »

Afternoon gents.  Are there any seats left in here?  undecided
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
  Print  

Jump to: