Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » New Glossary
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: New Glossary  (Read 10762 times)
Andrew B
Plusnet Staff

« on: June 04, 2008, 10:27:34 am »

Firstly Hello!

My names Andrew, I've been the newest member of the content team since the start of April.

Following on from this thread: http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,63159.0.html Pete set me to work creating a glossary for the portal.  This is mostly complete but before we go live I'd like PUG to take a look  and provide any feedback on the content and design.

Is there anything obvious I've missed or anything you'd change?

A zip file is attached containing an mht file.  Open the mht in Internet Explorer or Opera.

* Glossary.zip (110.02 KB - downloaded 400 times.)
« Last Edit: June 04, 2008, 10:37:02 am by Andrew B »

Kind Regards,

Andrew Bunker
Plusnet Content Team
bobmilton

« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 11:39:58 am »

Andrew,
I'm not a member of PUG but I have an immediate comment in regard to your glossary.

At the beginning you say,
Think we've missed something? Let us know by making a suggestion on our community forums.

I consider that it could be improved by providing a direct link to Website development or your content group (if that is different). I say this because in the past, comments of this kind have been made in community topics which do not seem to get to the appropriate place where action can be considered etc.

The method you suggest is I beleive cumbersome, it relies on 'someone' spotting the suggestion and sending it on its way. As I mention, this method does not seem to have operated successfully in the past.

You possibly don't know, but the existence of PUG and its functions is not well known. It has taken about 4 years for me to know a little about it.

My suggestion makes the process of getting information to you and your colleagues much simpler and I
think effective.
MauriceB
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:07:06 pm »

Thanks Andrew,  I like the general style - much like the original PUG Glossary but a significant improvement wink  I've not had a chance to review much of the content so far, but I have just 'peeped at'  a few odd items and it looks OK.

BTW There is a long standing PUGIT 46 item which can be closed when you make this code 'LIVE'

Maurice
biondani

« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:37:48 pm »

One I have found that is missing is RTFM wink

Ian

3rd Line Wintel Support
Virgin Media XXL Customer
jelv1

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 01:43:50 pm »

Quickly comparing this against the PUG Glossary for a couple of letters shows a lot that you've not included. Some I can understand, others I can't. Can you confirm that you reviewed the PUG Glossary when deciding what to include?

jelv
Andrew B
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 04:46:48 pm »

Thanks for the feedback so far guys.

To address Bobs comments first, when the glossary is published I'm going to create a specific thread on the community site which will be linked to on the glossary itself. 

I will receive a notification every time someone responds so its easy to monitor for me and is an open and accountable way to allow everyone to make suggestions and provide feedback.

I can confirm jelv, that I've reviewed the PUG glossary and did use it to help compile my initial list.  In places I feel its more like a list of links than a glossary (Changing Products for instance exists only to link to the relevant page on the portal). 

There's also the distinction to make between technical terms and common internet abbreviations like LOL, ROFL and so on - I feel explanations for these are more suited to the Community site or this forum as they tend not to be used on the portal itself.

The list attached to this thread is by no means complete and i'll be looking to add to it over time so if you think anything important is amiss then let me know.  smiley

I've let Colin know about the PUGIT item, he's most pleased!

Kind Regards,

Andrew Bunker
Plusnet Content Team
spraxyt
Usergroup Member

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 12:55:08 am »

From the page

If you've seen something unfamiliar on one of our pages, you'll find an explanation here in our Glossary.

That's confidence for you  evil

I suggest adding BOT (since this occurs frequently in ticket responses), CCGI, EOD, kbps, VISP and WPA2 (as a more secure encryption standard than WPA, providing the router and PC supports it).

And a number of queries/suggestions:

In the definition of Byte, is "punctuation point" a common term? I call these "punctuation marks".

Download speed is defined as "the time it takes". By that analogy data downloaded at higher speeds would take longer to download. Let's be technically accurate and call it "the rate at which …". graduate

Kilobyte is defined as "approximately a thousand bytes". By PlusNet's usage definition it is exactly a thousand bytes. I suggest sticking to the latter (just deleting approximately). Kibibyte is the 1024 version, but best not to complicate matters.

David
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 11:48:15 am by spraxyt »
bobmilton

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2008, 08:16:42 am »

More suggestions,
ISPA, Ofcom, throughput speed, 21CN, DSLAM, Fttc, Fttp, QoS, WBC, Usenet, peer-peer, CHAP, PDF.

And then,

dB, deciBel, 1/10th of a Bel. It is a logarithmic expression of a power ratio, used so that gains and losses may be added or subtracted to or from a signal, instead of multiplying and dividing. The Bel is a large unit hence the use of deciBels.

Example: if the power ratio is 2:1 or 1:2 then the difference is said to be 3dB (approx). Log2 is .3010, so ten times log2 is 3.01dB.

And,

dBm0, This indicates a reference level of 1 milliWatt, taken as 0. Thus a power level of +3dBm0 is 2mW and one of -3dBm0 is 1/2 mW.
Andrew B
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2008, 05:16:55 pm »

Thank you for the suggestions!

The glossary is now live on the portal.

You'll see theres been a few changes since the file i attached last week, I'll look to work in the suggestions made here in a week or so, hopefully along with feedback from community site members also.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Bunker
Plusnet Content Team
bobmilton

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2008, 06:04:53 pm »

Andrew,

The links provided keep looping back to a previous page.
We seem to be going in circles.

From here we go to the glossary, from there to the community site,Glossary suggestions, which James_H has made a 'sticky', whatever that is. But your link leads to Ben Trimble's topic which you have added a link which again leads to Glossary suggestions aaaaaand so and so on.etc

I thught you said there was to be a community topic on which to add suggestions and which you would monitor and get the suggestions from there.

I wonder if Hercules would be any good with this knotty situation.
Andrew B
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2008, 08:16:09 pm »

Hello Bob, sorry for the confusion.

The idea is that if you want to make suggestions for new entries on the glossary, you can do so on the community thread linked to from the Glossary which is this one.

If you want to provide other feedback or discuss the way the glossary is presented or the tone of it, then you can do so in Bens original thread.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 08:18:01 pm by Andrew B »

Kind Regards,

Andrew Bunker
Plusnet Content Team
bobmilton

« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2008, 09:02:17 pm »

Andrew,
Your link to Ben's topic leads to page 1 of 7.

This is causing quite a bit of confusion, people can't find what they are looking for.

The moderators seem also to be wondering what is going on.

On your topic that you started folk were asking how to find your glossary and being given directions by other users. These have now been removed by chillypenguin I think.

I wonder if Maurice or David could help us?

At the moment it looks like the biggest mess-up since Mons. If you are not familiar with Mons it's possibly just as well. My Dad wss there in August 1914. It was one of those battles that our soldiers don't talk about, --- like Cassino. My brother was at Cassino.

Bob
bobmilton

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2008, 11:21:53 pm »

Andrew,

This is an example of a genuine comment, it was made by Josie (jmdlp) in Ben's topic.

Sorry, yes I had seen the link in the post thank you! - but what I wanted to know is how did you find it without going to the Forum and finding that link?  There must be a more direct link?
In other words if you were just starting out with PN and wanted to know the meanings of word/initials/phrases etc - what do you do? where do you look?
Because you might not realise you have to go to a Forum to find the link, or you might not initially think of going to "Help and Support"............ because you would think that was to do with actual problems with broadband/internet ......................
Andrew B
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2008, 09:21:59 am »

Thanks Bob, I've picked up on these comments on the community thread.

Kind Regards,

Andrew Bunker
Plusnet Content Team
Pages: [1]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: