Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Business Users Forum » SMTP configuration
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: SMTP configuration  (Read 8255 times)
consilio

« on: May 18, 2007, 11:24:20 am »

Hi,

I am currently using POP3 email for around 7 mailboxes. My domain is hosted with plus, and I am using Exchange 2003.

What changes are required to change to SMTP email?  Is it as simple as specifying SMTP delivery, pointing it to my static IP address, and setting up a finger command on my exchange server?

Do I need to make any DNS configuration changes? (currently no advanced DNS entries created in the PlusNet portal)
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2007, 02:41:17 pm »

Thats basically it,

You'd need to configure exchange to accept smtp .

You'd need to open up port 25 on your firewall / router to forward it to your internal ip of the smtp server (unless your exchange box is on a public ip (which i'd hope it isnt!)

I assume you send all ready via smtp to relay.plus.net

consilio

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2007, 10:16:40 am »

Thanks Tam.

I have another connection which i intend to use SMTP mail. However it looks like the domain name will be transferred before the PlusNet ADSL and static IP address will kick in.

Do you know if I will be able to forward SMTP mail to an IP outside of the PlusNet network? This is for incomming mail, i realise that I wont be able to send outgoing mail via the PN mail server until my IP has changed.
petervaughan
Usergroup Member

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2007, 08:54:41 pm »

As far as I know SMTP mail can only be delivered to a PN IP, specifically the IP assigned to the account the domain is registered/hosted with. It is possible to setup an MX record for the domain  via the DNS configuration for the domain but again you can only specify a PN IP to direct it to.
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2007, 03:46:50 pm »

If you set the mail setting to "Other" rather than SMTP then you can create your own MX records for the domain and give them non-PlusNet IP addresses. You wouldn't be able to use Autoturn though (our backup MX server) so if your mail server goes down then mail may be bounced.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: