Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Network and Technical Issues » Spam being recieved on Private e-mail addy
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
  Print  
Author Topic: Spam being recieved on Private e-mail addy  (Read 104996 times)
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« on: May 13, 2007, 06:04:01 pm »

Hi all,

I run my own domain(s), suddenly (within the last 30 mins) I've received a spam e-mail on each and everyone of the domains where the to address is only known within the PN database.

Sure, now they could of guessed the address of 1 domain, perhaps 2 but all three?Huh Seems to me that they have been able to get e-mail addresses somehow.

Not to mention i've also had the same e-mail at postmaster@xxx.plus.com and also username@username.plus.com

Seems to me that a spammer has spent a lot of time working on every account and is now spamming them.

Just a heads up if you see a sudden increase in mail to the PN servers. Smiley

Oldjim

« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2007, 06:35:46 pm »

I have also noticed a sudden jump in spam to username@username.plus.com
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2007, 06:39:02 pm »

Hi Tam,

Could you let us have the mail headers?

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2007, 07:03:43 pm »

I've had a couple of spams to a couple of my email addresses that I don't normally get spam to. The spams in question all start

"Cheapest ED pills on the net !!"

Is this the same as you're seeing?

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
BR_pnug

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2007, 07:19:48 pm »

Ditto
I've recently received the same spam starting "Cheapest ED pills on the net !!"
about 12 times in under 10m mins spread over 4 previously spam-free private mailboxes. 1 of these is for a second Plus Net account. I've reported all to Spamcop & Knujon.  Rather concerning - these addresses have never been used for other than private emails with trusted sources, including PN. 
Tam

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2007, 07:56:36 pm »

Ditto
I've recently received the same spam starting "Cheapest ED pills on the net !!"
about 12 times in under 10m mins spread over 4 previously spam-free private mailboxes. 1 of these is for a second Plus Net account. I've reported all to Spamcop & Knujon.  Rather concerning - these addresses have never been used for other than private emails with trusted sources, including PN. 

Yep, thats the one.

I seriously think that there are two issues here.
1) Spam from username@username.plus.com which appears to have been the entire customer directory of PlusNet.
2) Addresses only used "within" pn have been spammed too, showing (IMHO) that the addresses have come from somewhere within PN held data (either via the forum or customer database).

Oldjim

« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2007, 08:16:21 pm »

Same one arrived for postmaster@username.plus.com - and that isn't my catchall
And the spam filter isn't picking it up
« Last Edit: May 13, 2007, 08:18:42 pm by Oldjim »
Mark Kelly

Ex Plusnet Staff 2006 - 2012

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2007, 08:39:14 pm »

Hi all.

Our network engineers are currently investigating the spam reports which we are receiving.

We are currently raising this as a P1 problem and a service status message will go out very shortly.

We'll keep you up to date with developments as and when we get them.

Kind regards,
Mark Kelly
Chemical Brother

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2007, 08:45:12 pm »

Mark,

You're too quick off the mark - I was about to email you asking that this be looking into and raised as a P1..

You're just too good Wink
chillypenguin

« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2007, 08:48:27 pm »

If anyone has missed this offer, I have a few copies of the e-mail that I can forward one  wink

Chilly

No Polar Bears were harmed in making this post.
"Not free from Faults, nor yet too vain to mend."
Oldjim

« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2007, 08:55:06 pm »

This report on tbb may be of interest linky
Hi,

When I was a PN customer I setup 2 mailboxes. They were created on the 8th June 2005 and deleted on the 20th June 2005.

Neither address got used, and I was the only one that knew about them. Around the same time a redirect got setup from another domain PN were hosting to a hotmail.com box.
This also went unused until I left PN in July 2005.

Today, for the first time ever all three addresses have been spammed in the space of half an hour, the 2 mailboxes twice and the redirect 5 times.

Any idea's how on earth this is even possible?Huh
chillypenguin

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2007, 09:10:56 pm »

The address that I received the "ED" spam on does not have a mailbox set up for it.

Chilly

No Polar Bears were harmed in making this post.
"Not free from Faults, nor yet too vain to mend."
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2007, 09:27:40 pm »

The address that I received the "ED" spam on does not have a mailbox set up for it.

Chilly

Has it ever been a mailbox, redirect or alias (or was it either postmaster@... or username@username...).

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
jelv1

« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2007, 09:32:47 pm »

I've just come here because of the same problem to see if anything was being reported. For example I've received spam on an email address which was created specifically for testing email and is known only to me and Bob Pullen. It hasn't been outside of Plusnet. I've also received some to prefixes which have not been used for at least a year.

jelv
Tam

« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2007, 09:38:23 pm »

Chilly

Has it ever been a mailbox, redirect or alias (or was it either postmaster@... or username@username...).

All mine have been used as a re-direct before...... but not in the last year or two.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 20
  Print  

Jump to: