Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » Introducing Broadband Your Way
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Introducing Broadband Your Way  (Read 44423 times)
petervaughan
Usergroup Member

« Reply #45 on: May 28, 2007, 12:46:29 pm »

It does cost PN to keep a range of numbers for fax2email and they are in short supply. I guess they don't want to compound the problem by allowing a whole new group of users attracted by the new BBYW products to start requesting fax numbers as well.

I'm sure there are quite a few numbers that are not actually used now but people don't want to loose them so send text faxes once a month.
mikeb

« Reply #46 on: May 28, 2007, 02:25:44 pm »

AFAIK if you are moving from a legacy product that had fax2email you can raise a ticket requesting to keep it if you move onto one of the BBYW products. 

OK, thanks for that lil snippet of handy rumour Smiley I guess I need to ask formally and see what the response is ... although having sort of been down this route before when changing A/C types, I'm not so sure that I will be quite so quick to believe the answer if it is along the lines of "yes, no probs at all, of course you can retain the service/number".

I have various e-mails on file telling me that when I moved from an F9 to PN A/C years ago, this, that and the other would be retained and there would be absolutely no problems whatsoever etc. How wrong that was and how stupid of me to take one set of official words at face-value rather asking several people several times !!!!  Changing e-mail addresses and fax2email numbers that have been in near constant use for 10 years is a right PITA and no easy task seeing that this info has been used all over the world on personal/business documents, stationary and communications various. If these are going to have to change then I might just as well consider ALL the options - a little change is just as much of a pain as a big change and all that.

I'm sure there are quite a few numbers that are not actually used now but people don't want to loose them so send text faxes once a month.

Yup, I'm sure there are and sometimes that includes me if it hasn't been used in anger by someone else. But having used the service for absolutely ages, it is now a bit of security issue losing the number and potentially getting personal communications sent elsewhere. If the service wasn't sustainable then it simply shouldn't been introduced and promoted as it was. There appear to be several other independent providers that offer similar schemes (both free and paid for) so it's obviously not a possible problem unique to PN either. This does of course mean that it's no longer an essential feature from my ISP tho - as I said before, a small change is just as much of a pain as a big one - so barring the security implications, changing fax number is not so much of an issue this time as I almost certainly need to change e-mail addresses sooner rather than later.

Quoting one of IanW's comments above altho somewhat out of context I would agree, I want a service that "just works": no significant hassle, no significant problems, no significant restrictions etc. plus I want to pay a realistic amount for it and I want to use it responsibly.  I've had more than enough of sharing my connection with what appears to be a vast majority of irresponsible b*ggers who see any cap/limit/threshold as some form of challenge or minimum figure, those who click on anything/everything and DL it for the sake of it and those who are trying to DL 24/7 for whatever (sad) reason they might have. It also p*sses me right off that often using my paid-for usage in the free period means that I often enjoy an iffy service.

I want a service that works when I want it and for what I happen to want it for (within reason, of course). I want to "take control" and have "Broadband MY way" as now advertised and as discussed on here at length previously but it doesn't appear to deliver. Where is the "you will be able to pay for or set higher priority for certain activities as/when you need them" that I seem to recall reading discussions on ? Unless I pay for P2P that I don't ever want to use then essentially I can't ever use ftp for instance.  Why can I NOT have p2p but be able to use ftp at a realistic and usable rate occasionally ? Also, quoting max rates is fine but what exactly is the 'realistic' or min figures being achieved by users on the new profiles ? I take it that 'max' means the absolute best that you're ever likely to achieve with a following wind if no one else is using the network so, realistically, what, maybe half of the quoted figures at best and usually very much less in reality ?  If I wanted a dial-up standard service then I would use dial-up and not BB Wink

If I stumble across a document I want to read, a SW demo I want to try out or a vid I want to watch or DL then I want it in a reasonable time-frame (i.e. while I wait) not to have to plan it hours/days in advance, see it trickle in at bits/sec rather than bytes/sec or have to DL it 'n' times over because it keeps getting spiked and therefore gives up.  Planning is fine if it's a whole set of iso files or something but not for random stuff. Somebody somewhere must offer a service where 'responsible' users can use the service 'responsibly' and more to the point use the BW they pay for as and when they choose or need to !  As always, recommendations for any ISP that completely bars p2p and other similar high BW waste of time and space protocols/usage anywhere on their network would be gratefully received rolleyes

--
WARNING: The e-mail address on my profile is not my usual address, all messages sent via this site have been redirected elsewhere for test purposes. This could result in messages not being received in a timely manner or potentially not being received at all.
jazz

« Reply #47 on: May 28, 2007, 04:49:36 pm »

I just moved from BB Plus to BBYW1 with 2Gb.  I didn't have Fax2Email with BB Plus but after moving to BBYW1 at the end of last week a Fax2Email configuration button has appeared on my settings.  I don't plan to use it but it is obviously available. smiley
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #48 on: May 28, 2007, 07:53:24 pm »

AFAIK if you are moving from a legacy product that had fax2email you can raise a ticket requesting to keep it if you move onto one of the BBYW products. 

OK, thanks for that lil snippet of handy rumour Smiley I guess I need to ask formally and see what the response is ... although having sort of been down this route before when changing A/C types, I'm not so sure that I will be quite so quick to believe the answer if it is along the lines of "yes, no probs at all, of course you can retain the service/number".

You may wish to check out this little bit of info in the PN problem tracker, seems you don't have to raise a ticket anymore.  Linky

Though it wouldn't hurt. Wink
« Last Edit: May 28, 2007, 07:57:58 pm by northbritish »
Ultra

« Reply #49 on: May 29, 2007, 06:56:37 pm »

re free fax - to - e-mail services...

When the change in pricing for calls to 0870 numbers comes into force (October 2007 ?) it might be that few 'free' fax-to-e-mail services will continue ...  I suspect some will have a monthly fee.   

Any comments from PN about service when 0870 costs the same as 01/02 to dial ?
« Last Edit: May 30, 2007, 02:38:11 am by Ultra »
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2007, 11:19:49 pm »

If you've already got a Fax2email number then this will be retained automatically if you switch to BBYW. I don't see any change happening with Fax2email. The 0870 numbers were picked mainly because we can point all the numbers at one (or a couple) of geographic numbers and not have to have one geographic number per fax number. The fax software then knows which email address to send the fax to based on the number called. I don't see any reason why this would change, any revenue earned from people calling the 0870 numbers would easily be outweighed by the cost of changing the numbers.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
Ultra

« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2007, 02:42:09 am »

Point is, when the amount charged for calling 0870 is reduced there may be close to no revenue from such calls.  It was less clear (before your response) as to how things are set up for PN to offer this facility - clearly any revenue may drop to nil, but it is an in-house system, and not 'bought in' from someone else, which could have led to increased costs (eg if some other firm was providing it, solely on income from the call charges, they may have wanted compensation for the drop in income...  it's what I'm expecting to happen with some of the other firms offering such numbers for free, at present, but I don't know what they might want to charge...  seems like a time for a strong 'shake up' of 0870-based services)

Thanks for clarifying how your setup is handled...  If someone on BBYW wanted a fax - to- e-mail number, would they need to have (say) an 'Essential' account as well (and if so, would it need to have a different account name)...  or has the idea been to quietly drop that bit as part of the service (ignoring legacy account holders/ switchers to BBYW) ? 

I remember not that long ago when you were unable to offer numbers, and had no idea of when that would be reversed (OK, it was around 4 years ago, but it seemed a bit underhand to list it as part of the account benefits while also being unable to supply it, and not reporting that until someone requested that it be enabled for their account).  Presumably that period was when the recycling of {unused} numbers was pushed into action, even if it had been included in the 'small print' beforehand...

Apologies to anyone concerned about 'thread drift' Smiley
dusty_bin

« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2007, 08:40:37 am »

I didn't have Fax2Email with BB Plus but after moving to BBYW1 at the end of last week a Fax2Email configuration button has appeared on my settings. 

Ditto with my account going from PAYG to BBYW2.  As a check, I just set up fax2email under BBYW2 and it went through OK.

For the OP (who seems to have a similar usage profile to me), I guess either BBYW1 or 2 should do.  In the event, AFAIK it is possible to switch between them without additonal cost at a later date if the chosen one isn't suitable.
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2007, 06:34:26 pm »

If you were on BBYW and wanted Fax2email then yes you would need to signup for a new account such as an Essential account that offered Fax2email with a new username, or upgrade to say a business broadband account.

There's only a limited number of Fax2email numbers available, as has been evident by us having to reclaim numbers not used for 3 months.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: