Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » The Business Users Forum » Business Product Refresh
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Business Product Refresh  (Read 31030 times)
jsanglier

« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2007, 10:11:21 am »

My two penneth worth (including repeating what others have said):

EMAIL:

• The creation of domain specific email boxes
  • Login via domains rather than remembering additional plus URLs - so http://mydomain/webmail
  • optional MS exchange

WEBSITE HOSTING

• C-Panel
  • Standard scripts like Joomla, Virtuemart, oscommerce, zen, phpBB, etc - for the adventurous
  • And therefore MySQL, Perl, PHP all available from the root directory as you would have with a normal webhosting service.
  • Webspace limit should include the MySQL  database, so you don;t have this daft thing of having 100mb of almost unused webspace while your allocated 10mb of MySQL runs out in 10 minutes flat.

As a reference, have a look at what http://www.nativespace.co.uk  are offering as a website hoster. It is a completely over the top package, but since most of the offfering is Open Source, this is not a cost issue. But for growing businesses, it offers more or less everything they need with the possible exeption of MS Exchange. For plus to offer a similar package would put them in a very strong position competitively. They would become a one stop shop.

treweren

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2007, 02:22:40 pm »

Spam tools - ideally a way of holding span on the server and only downloading periodically on request.

I suppose we should be pleased that this is being added (hopefully as an option).  Unfortunately without the "white list" and "black list" types of options that come with standard control panels (including CPanel) the offering is going to cause as much frustration as it attempts to prevent.  The practical consequence of this change will be that e-mails which are inadvertently marked as SPAM will be effectively lost until you know you've lost it and go and check the SPAM box. 

Computer scientists may measure the success of anti-SPAM measures by how much genuine SPAM is identified whereas commercial end-users simply measure the amount of SPAM which is incorrectly flagged.

I understand at present there are plans to limit the age of SPAM to 30 days.  Limiting the size (setting it against web space usage) and allowing older SPAM would be better.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2007, 02:41:07 pm by treweren »
Arthur

« Reply #32 on: May 22, 2007, 04:20:53 pm »

My ideal broadband package would be
  • A reliable Internet connection with a fast upload speed.
  • A mail server to relay mail through.
  • One account to manage several connections.

I am not interested in incoming mail servers, DNS, or the hosting and domain services.

jsanglier

« Reply #33 on: May 22, 2007, 04:50:47 pm »

Spam

Yes, I think that any spam package (spamassasin based?) should have a variety of tools for the business user:

• Be able to change the scoring
  • Set to delete spam or accept spam with a modified header (and content saved seperately)
  • Manageable white and black lists
  • Seperate controls per user

It was mentioned that ISPConfig was one of the options being looked at. Certainly, the spam tools, clam a/v and mail filters are very powerful - though I think that people would want the webmail side of it (currently ubermail, squirrel and roundcube) up graded so that it works with the spam tools more directly.

Cant remember how c-panel works in this regard, but I seem to remember that the email set up side of it was a bit clunky. Actually, I will know more about c-panel in the next few weeks as I need to set up a site for someone! IF I hate it, I will shout!

mitchja

« Reply #34 on: June 02, 2007, 04:25:02 pm »

I think the option of the faster uploads (upto 832K on BT lines) should be available as an option on all business products.

James Mitchell
Simon M

« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2007, 05:19:58 pm »

I'll add my voice to those who want one of the options to be a fast, connect only package.

We took all our hosting elsewhere several years ago because the Domain Control System couldn't handle _SRV records. It was due for an imminent re-write, but we couldn't wait the couple of months that was being talked about. Good job we didn't.  rolleyes

There will be plenty of other business customers who can't leave their hosting with Plusnet for a whole variety of reasons, some of which have been mentioned in this thread. So they won't want to subsidize other people's server space & facilities.

Having said that, I'll happily consider bringing the hosting back when PN can cope with it.

Simon
icpcom

« Reply #36 on: August 03, 2007, 01:33:48 pm »

Agree with Zubel, Orchestrate and others; some form of global account to control the various head office, site and home F9 addresses we have would make life a lot easier.
nickthefish

« Reply #37 on: September 21, 2007, 03:12:32 pm »

I made my first phone call today. Through in seconds to Alex. There was a report this morning saying folk dont get the speed of broadband they are paying for. Ive been paying for up to 8Mb/sec broadband for ages but I only could achieve just under 2Mb. Im 1/2 mile from the exchange and close to my phone plate. I phoned, they tweeked something, and 20 mins later, hey presto, 5.5Mb/sec!!! Thank you PlusNet.
Suggestions:
It would be good to get a trasnscript of conversations by e-mail too, like an online help.
Sometimes I prefer to get assistance by e-mail and I'm not sure of there is a dedicated business e-mail support address?
scarymonkey

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2007, 11:12:32 pm »

I made my first phone call today. Through in seconds to Alex. There was a report this morning saying folk dont get the speed of broadband they are paying for. Ive been paying for up to 8Mb/sec broadband for ages but I only could achieve just under 2Mb. Im 1/2 mile from the exchange and close to my phone plate. I phoned, they tweeked something, and 20 mins later, hey presto, 5.5Mb/sec!!! Thank you PlusNet.
Suggestions:
It would be good to get a trasnscript of conversations by e-mail too, like an online help.
Sometimes I prefer to get assistance by e-mail and I'm not sure of there is a dedicated business e-mail support address?

Not email as such but support tickets from a business account are pointed in the direction of business support. This is the closest you will get to email support from PN as they prefer the accountability the ticketing system provides.

Vince Marsters
kev445

« Reply #39 on: September 23, 2007, 10:46:57 am »

Will you be offering a business product on par with the new “broadband your way pro”? We could do with a 20GB peak usage cap and the 832k upload, but apart from that the product seems ideal!

Just so long as all our VOIP will end up in the Titanium queue and not gold!

We left Plusnet business due to traffic shaping having unpredictable results, with all traffic in gold and titanium we can’t go wrong!

We currently pay £33.99+VAT for a 20GB cap, unlimited uploads and unlimited off-peak.

Matt_2k34

« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2007, 12:50:46 am »

We currently pay £33.99+VAT for a 20GB cap, unlimited uploads and unlimited off-peak.

ouch.. sounds abit steep.. nearly £40 i make that ? well for £40 you could get an 'unlimited' product.. with *cough*

voip should have been high priority ? and issues with this should have been reported to be fixed Wink

ethereal tells you what queue the traffic is being bumped into.. if its wrong.. it needs tweaking Smiley

-----------
=)
kev445

« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2007, 08:58:15 am »

We left before Plusnet was taken over by BT. I think we had enough when they started saying that business products could only use 256Kbit for VOIP, due to them being unable to distinguish from certain P2P and VOIP.

We use uncompressed VOIP so this would have meant we could only run around two calls at a time, even though we regularly peaked at over 4 calls at a time.

We did contact support regarding this matter, however it just became confusing so we gave up.

We now have our VOIP line with another provider which throttles down the connection on all protocols if they max out their centrals. This doesn’t bother us as we only need up to 700Kbit download.

Plusnet would be used in Emergencies when our VOIP line goes down, which touch wood it hasn’t yet.
Matt_2k34

« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2007, 02:11:15 am »

i believe its normally when ur not using a 'standard' system for your VOIP..

giving support all the details asap can help also, as it is then dealt by one person rather than a string of people having to read up on the ticket...

P2P and VOIP should be at completely opposite ends of the traffic management...

also..
use uncompressed VOIP so this would have meant we could only run around two calls at a time

(at this point id ask you what benefits you have using uncompressed voip..) as im not a big voip user, id be interested as to why you dont just compress to save bandwidth Smiley

-----------
=)
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: