Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » Deployment of additional capacity
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: Deployment of additional capacity  (Read 8995 times)
JBailey

« on: March 06, 2007, 04:08:54 pm »

Today we activated the third segment of our latest BT Central pipe (THN-AG1).

Since activating the first two segments of this pipe, performance for interactive protocols on all of our products, and general performance experienced by Broadband Plus customers has improved significantly. This can be seen by the reduction of gold traffic drops from our network monitoring graphs:

http://www.plus.net/support/network_performance/broadband_packets_drop.shtml

We have also now fully resolved the session availability problems which had been apparent on our network.

By providing this additional capacity now, we are focusing on the experience for Broadband Premier customers. We expect improvements to non interactive traffic (such as P2P and USENET) as a result. We believe that our network is now performing at the expected level for all customers, and is operating in “normal operation” as opposed to “high demand operation”, as laid out here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/network/load.shtml .

When we announced the additional capacity being assigned to our Broadband Plus customers, we stated that we would be taking a smaller profit margin across the product until the reduction of BTs IPStream pricing, which is expected in May 2007. We are now assigning additional capacity to our Broadband Premier customers and on the same basis will be taking a lower profit margin from the Premier product.

We will continue to monitor our network performance closely and appreciate feedback from customers via our online discussion forums or the PlusNet Usergroup website.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 04:14:38 pm »

Only another 6 segments to go before everyone receives half decent speeds again ..!!

jelv1

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 04:46:00 pm »

Tam,

You're getting worse than rsharma and pr100 for your totally unfounded sniping and I for one am getting pretty sick of it. If you hadn't noticed the two segments already added have got BB+ running pretty well as designed - OK file downloading is slow at peak times, P2P is slow most of the time - but that is what people signed up for.

jelv
Tam

100Mb via Enta.net :D

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 05:03:28 pm »

Tam,

You're getting worse than rsharma and pr100 for your totally unfounded sniping and I for one am getting pretty sick of it.
Yawn ... not this again, perhaps you need to rest? Remember you dont *have* to read my posts, same as your going to end up on my ignore list soon anyway.

If you hadn't noticed the two segments already added have got BB+ running pretty well as designed - OK file downloading is slow at peak times, P2P is slow most of the time - but that is what people signed up for.
I hadn't noticed no, I had noticed posts about upstream being faster than downstream still, and P2P still not able to connect and >10Kb/sec downloads - Yes I had noticed that (and it would appear Plusnet have if they've had to activate yet another section so soon after the last!)

What I also notice is (what has to be said), quite unacceptable speeds on premier customers (home and business) at peak times, even when they are still within they "Fair usage limit" each month.

Me wonders why PN have activated another segment, on top of users still leaving, and the move of PAYG customer to another network - if all of the above was done and they are still activating segments, kind of shows how low on bandwidth PN consider they still are.

I mean - why would they spend all that money on additional bandwidth if the all knowing Jelv says everything is ok??

« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:07:41 pm by Tam »

jelv1

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 05:41:08 pm »

I think you'll find that the upstream faster than downstream is either because they are on LLU or their IP Profile has been set very low. I'd been interested in your thoughts on how 6 extra pipes would make any difference to that!

The announcement made it very clear that the extra segment was for Premier. BB+ speeds are now correct. Given the dramatic difference that 2 segments made to BB+, I expect to see similar improvements in Premier.

Oh and BTW - where did I say I thought Premier was OK - I can't remember typing that!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 05:44:50 pm by jelv1 »

jelv
mr_chris

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 05:58:56 pm »

I want this to stop, now.

Both of you take a breather, calm down, and look in a different light about what you're arguing over. There are some valid points being raised by both of you, but it really doesn't need to spiral out of control into a flame war as it is in danger of doing.

If you feel the need to snipe at each other any more, please do so out of public view i.e. where I don't have to see it.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 06:01:02 pm by mr_chris »

Chris
Oldjim

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 06:03:55 pm »

To continue the somewhat off topic discussion  evil
In view of earlier statement - which I can't be bothered to find - that extra capacity would only be added when customer numbers required it.
Does the fact that these two statements were issued very close after each other have any significance
Departure of Managing Director and Finance Director
Extra capacity brought on line
Alternatively am I just an old cynic  grin
Assos

Mad Student Barperson!!

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 06:11:07 pm »

funny enough I was wondering that  rolleyes

Daniel McGiff

"We believe that if we provide a quality service, customers will stay with us – we don't need a long contractual obligation." PlusNet (September 2006)
jelv1

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 06:15:10 pm »

That had occurred to me too. His stance on continuing to expect the same margins of profit when the market has changed did a lot of damage.

jelv
scarymonkey

« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2007, 06:15:35 pm »

I'm guessing old cynic. I don't think BTW work as fast as that in getting the new capacity online today.

Vince Marsters
lmartin

Comms Team

« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2007, 06:21:36 pm »

They do if you rub them up the right way wink

Liam Martin
PlusNet Comms Team
dtomlinson
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2007, 06:58:28 pm »

To continue the somewhat off topic discussion  evil
In view of earlier statement - which I can't be bothered to find - that extra capacity would only be added when customer numbers required it.
Does the fact that these two statements were issued very close after each other have any significance
Departure of Managing Director and Finance Director
Extra capacity brought on line
Alternatively am I just an old cynic  grin

If you'd said is there a link between PlusNet having new owners and the announcement of extra capacity today then you may be a little nearer (i.e. operating under private ownership rather than as a PLC). I personally don't know when the decision to actual decision was made to light the extra capacity today but it is something that has been talked about for a week or two, getting the pipes in balance after lighting the first two segments and getting Broadband Plus corrected was the primary goal there; making changes to Premier at the same time would have made that process a little harder because we'd be balancing the pipes, Broadband Plus and Premier P2P/Usenet at the same time.

But now because of the way the traffic management works we've got the balance almost there on 18 segments and as the 19th gets up to the same number of customers there will be a better spread across the whole platform, thus less gold per tunnel so more room for P2P/Usenet.

Regards,

Dave Tomlinson
PlusNet Support
Moose

« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2007, 07:26:31 pm »

Damn you Plusnet,
 Why is it every time i want to leave you manage to get things working so well tongue

Seriously, i have to admit i've been pretty damn impressed with the quality of service on BB+ in the last couple of weeks and i congratulate you on bringing even more capacity online so quickly. It's early days but if this keeps up it looks like you really are heading in the right direction at last.
 Well done  smiley

Still not happy with the way you do things behind the scenes and don't bother telling anyone till after (sometimes well after)the event, as in the BB+ disaster of last month for example, and the way you tried to fob me off with 'exchange contention' being the problem with rubbish download speeds and crippled upload speeds, that miraculously recovered within days of the new capacity coming online....but the quality of service has improved a huge amount in the last fortnight.
 Look's like I'll be hanging around for another month. Would be great to have 4 straight weeks with no problems.

Fingers crossed this is the direction Plusnet intend to keep heading in.
Good work guys smiley
« Last Edit: March 06, 2007, 07:32:45 pm by Moose »

Stuart.
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2007, 08:28:35 pm »

I think even Plusnet would now admit that, with hindsight, cancelling that central last year after the LLU came online was a bit of a mistake.

The damage to Plusnets reputation through capacity related problems, and the loss of customers and reductions in new signups caused by the bad publicity, must surely have cost Plusnet more in the long term than the savings made on the two segments of capacity.  We won't even mention the installation costs of adding the new central.
jelv1

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2007, 08:39:04 pm »

I think the saddest aspect is just how little extra capacity it took to make a dramatic difference.

jelv
Pages: [1] 2
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: