Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » 'Community' Site Prototype & Name Vote!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 'Community' Site Prototype & Name Vote!  (Read 35861 times)
James

« Reply #45 on: March 05, 2007, 01:31:56 pm »

Hmmm, if thats true, how do the rest of us know that we are being properly represented?
* Jameš loses some more of the little faith I had in the PUG.  sad

Best Wishes - James

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand. - Chinese Proverb
scarymonkey

« Reply #46 on: March 05, 2007, 01:43:28 pm »

There is good reason got PUG not be in the first wave of the new community site. In its initial phase PN will control a fair amount of the content. PUG are already accused of being in PN pockets all the time. Moving into the community site will only make that wose.

Also as both James and Northbritish are aware, PUG are currently finalising the recruitment of more members and elections are high on the agenda. After this recruitment there will still be more members required and how this is done will depend on how well this recruitment wave goes.

Vince Marsters
dhookham
Administrator

« Reply #47 on: March 05, 2007, 02:08:46 pm »

Whilst I'm ranting a bit, I don't really get the 'Usergroup Member' tags, surely the every customer of PN (insert vISP here) is a member of the usergroup, the ones who currently call themselves 'members' are merely the elected representatives of the rest of us.
When originally set up, Ian's vision was that all users of the ISP were members of the usergroup. Signing up to these forums was essentially a practical formality to provide a central location for discussion/communication. Users tagged as "usergroup members" are those who were selected as the founder members. As people have left for various reasons, it has been necessary to fill gaps with people who have demonstrated the required skills (whether that be their ability to understand/challenge/explain the technical areas, or to highlight issues unique to specific visps, or because of their ability to communicate).

AFAIK none of the 'members' of the usergroup have been elected so far.  All have either been hand picked by Plusnet, or subsequently by the PUG members at the time.
The initial group were selected by Ian. Subsequent members have been identified by one or more of this group and chosen on the basis of a group decision.

The latest intake is based on a vote by the wider userbase against a shortlist of candidates. If this works well, then we would be able to look at other options to increase the footprint of the representation (eg to those who do not use forums, or even to those who do not use usenet!).

It's the PlusNet Way
Assos

Mad Student Barperson!!

« Reply #48 on: March 05, 2007, 02:31:34 pm »

The forum elements of PUG could however be included in the community site forums, whilst PUG retain their own seperate website for other stuff (such as PUGIT, news etc)....

Daniel McGiff

"We believe that if we provide a quality service, customers will stay with us – we don't need a long contractual obligation." PlusNet (September 2006)
James

« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2007, 02:48:18 pm »

Thats kinda what I thought Dan - the NDA boards could still exist for unmoderated chat (like the old Tutorials Team Lounge) between the 'team' (UG) and there would be a big advantage in cutting duplication of effort.

I can understand the worry about being further accused of being in PN pockets, hell as Mods on the portal boards we get similar accusations levelled at us often enough too.

I think that a large proportion of the criticism aimed (particularly recently) at the PUG could have been avoided had the communication with customers appeared more transparent.

ATM its easy to see why things don't neccesarily get flagged up on all the boards, simply because its a lot of effort for volunteers to go to whilst their limited time could be better spent looking at issues rather than worrying about repeating info left right and centre. We all have limits on the time we can spare to spend helping the cause - and I think we'd all be able to add more value if we didn't have to refer back and forth between multiple fora to discuss and illustrate a given point.

Whatever makes sense for PN the company in terms of cutting out duplication of effort, *must* also make sense for the UG.

I would absolutely support the retention of a seperate resource for tutorials, tools, SS etc - if nothing else but to maintain the streamlined process for getting new material added - there's no need to go through such a rigorous change control process for example, on the UG site.

Best Wishes - James

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand. - Chinese Proverb
ianwild

Not to be confused with Mike, Wildmind.

« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2007, 10:32:34 pm »

I think we are all thinking along the same lines guys.

It'll work best if it's driven by the users too.

We need to start somewhere, which we will. We can then develop it from there, especially as the first step, however the details pan out, will give us a much more flexible environment for the discussion to happen in.

Ian

Regards,

Ian Wild
PlusNet Support
pboroplus

« Reply #51 on: March 06, 2007, 02:36:44 pm »

We also plan to use the name as part of the Web Address for accessing the sites - such that you'll get (for example) http://discuss.plus.net, http://discuss.f9.net.uk, http://discuss.free-online.net and http://discuss.metronet.co.uk which is why all the ones in our Survey are one word things.

Went to take the survey and nothing seemed appropriate so did not bother, but on reading this post I guess calling it exactly what it is community.whatever.co.etc does seem logical, but if regardless of which URL we type in we all get to the same community, it might be nice to have one single domain name as well that says it all eg. "PlusNetGroupCommunity".net
Penny

« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2007, 10:49:31 am »

Went to take the survey and nothing seemed appropriate so did not bother

Leaving aside the other issues raised on this thread, eg about the possibilities of integrating all the "talk to staff and other customers" zones (inc PUG) in one place, a few questions -

(1) was the range of PN-selected options at http://www.zoomerang.com/recipient/survey.zgi?p=WEB22683GLKUG9 ever expanded as per comments from the userbase as a whole
(2) when does this "survey" end (date/time)
(3) when will the results be published (and will the final decision as to the "name" be a "PN choice" or entirely based on the results of this survey).

Just one other thing - what does "To type in your initial question, click Edit. Insert adds a new question either above or below this one." on the bottom of the survey page, relate to?

Regards,

Penny.

Penny Rollo       Force 9 from 17/02/98       PlusNet from 2000 onwards     
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages – http://www.happychild.org.uk
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
cogilvie

« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2007, 10:54:10 am »

Just one other thing - what does "To type in your initial question, click Edit. Insert adds a new question either above or below this one." on the bottom of the survey page, relate to?

I suspect it means we forgot to delete something from it when we were setting up the survey, and is nothing to worry about.

Colin Ogilvie
Application Developer
Plusnet
Penny

« Reply #54 on: March 09, 2007, 02:55:51 pm »

I suspect it means we forgot to delete something from it when we were setting up the survey, and is nothing to worry about.

Thanks for your reply to the last question in my post, Colin.

Wasn't worried, just intrigued Smiley  Would appreciate a reply to the other three questions asked in the same post, though.

Regards,

Penny.

cogilvie

« Reply #55 on: March 09, 2007, 03:20:32 pm »

I haven't actually looked at the Survey so can't answer them Smiley

Colin Ogilvie
Application Developer
Plusnet
Penny

« Reply #56 on: March 09, 2007, 03:27:35 pm »

I haven't actually looked at the Survey so can't answer them Smiley

Would it be possible for anyone else at PN to answer these?  For reference the questions were:

(1) was the range of PN-selected options at http://www.zoomerang.com/recipient/survey.zgi?p=WEB22683GLKUG9 ever expanded as per comments from the userbase as a whole
(2) when does this "survey" end (date/time)
(3) when will the results be published (and will the final decision as to the "name" be a "PN choice" or entirely based on the results of this survey).

Given the (presumably-close) end date/time of the survey, it would be appropriate for customers to be provided with the requisite information.

Regards,

Penny.

JBailey

« Reply #57 on: March 09, 2007, 03:45:23 pm »

Liam's handling the survey, so I'd expect him to get back to you when he's back in the office on Monday.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
Penny

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2007, 06:04:08 pm »

Liam's handling the survey, so I'd expect him to get back to you when he's back in the office on Monday.

Cheers James   Smiley

lmartin

Comms Team

« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2007, 10:50:00 am »

OK guys, the votiing has now closed.  Many Thanks for your feedback.

I have taken onboard your concerns about not being able to deviate from the suggested names and will bear this in mind in future.  Due to the rapid development nature of this project we needed to move quickly and it was felt that this was the easiest and fairest way of doing so whilst attempting to gain some opinion and input from the community.

Cheers.

Liam Martin
PlusNet Comms Team
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: