Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Announcements » 'Community' Site Prototype & Name Vote!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  
Author Topic: 'Community' Site Prototype & Name Vote!  (Read 35871 times)
Chemical Brother

« Reply #30 on: March 03, 2007, 07:28:33 pm »

Exchange is a good name,

I did have some other thoughts with regards to that name, but I'll keep it to myself for now.
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #31 on: March 03, 2007, 08:23:01 pm »

exchange is pretty good how about adding it to the options.
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2007, 08:27:18 pm »

It's likely going to be based on a Drupal implementation so it should be fairly easy to add stuff in as and when required.

If the forums are going to be SMF based wouldn't Joomla be better for the community support portal?  Joomla uses SMF for it's own forums (which are very large) and integrates well with SMF.  It's pretty easy to add to Joomla also.
Assos

Mad Student Barperson!!

« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2007, 08:50:11 pm »

or even ModX? Which is a fork of eto that is also able to integrate with SMF well Smiley

Daniel McGiff

"We believe that if we provide a quality service, customers will stay with us – we don't need a long contractual obligation." PlusNet (September 2006)
cogilvie

« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2007, 11:55:42 am »

Drupal intergrates with SMF as well and has been on our test platform Smiley

I do spy a potential problem with 'exchnage' though Sad

Colin Ogilvie
Application Developer
Plusnet
billbow

« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2007, 09:26:56 pm »

Variation on a theme

*Interchange*

Bill

Bill
MetroNet
wildmind
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2007, 10:03:23 pm »

Variation on a theme

*Interchange*

Bill
* wildmind thinks of the Bradford Railway/Bus station
lmartin

Comms Team

« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2007, 10:14:38 pm »

That one reminds me of Sheffield Interchange.

Liam Martin
PlusNet Comms Team
billbow

« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2007, 10:40:18 pm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interchange  smiley

Bill

Bill
MetroNet
lmartin

Comms Team

« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2007, 10:44:04 pm »

Good ol' wikipedia...!

Liam Martin
PlusNet Comms Team
mr_chris

« Reply #40 on: March 05, 2007, 12:53:47 am »

I do spy a potential problem with 'exchnage' though Sad

Would that be the Microsoft trademark?

Chris
Ultra

« Reply #41 on: March 05, 2007, 02:58:10 am »

There are now services offering hosting of 'exchange mail' as well...
JBailey

« Reply #42 on: March 05, 2007, 10:33:44 am »

I like "exchange" based on the fact that it's meaning would suggest an exchange of views and opinions.  Also whenever I hear the word, it makes me think of ADSL in this country Smiley

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
James

« Reply #43 on: March 05, 2007, 11:48:29 am »

[snip]....just that bringing all the forums together in one place (and IMHO the PUG forums shd be included in or alongside that somehow) is a huge (and long-awaited) step for PlusNet and a name that's a bit "different" would perhaps be appropriate...[snip]

TBH I kinda agree with Penny - I would have thought that this is an ideal time to bring the PUG forums together with the forums of the vISPs. Previously there's been a reason for having a seperate board where all customers can discuss - with the Community site we will have this.

Bringing the PUG discussion into the Community support site could be a real opportunity to develop the usergroup. My current view is that a lot of time is wasted duplicating posts on issues across multiple sites, and this could be cut out instantly, leaving the nominated leaders of the Usergroup more of their freely given resource (time/effort etc) to concentrate of sorting issues for the rest of the userbase.

I occasionally come across posts from UG members who would like to see better inclusion/advertisement of the UG and the work it does - here is a perfect opportunity! I would hope that the UG have been pressing to have their forums moved into the Community Support Site, and any reason for this not happening will have come from PN Towers, rather than from unwillingness by PUG to engage the users they aim to represent.

My suspicion is that the very idea will be met with derision and shouted down - I'm sure the oft-touted reason of freedom of speech will be rolled out to provide cover whilst a raft of alternative reasons are constructed.

Just a few well crafted answers will suffice though - I'm not on a crusade, I'm just interested;

• Has the UG asked to be considered for inclusion?
    [..]If not, why not?
    [..]If so, what was the reasons for PN denying this oppotunity to better communicate with their usergroup and customer base?

Whilst I'm ranting a bit, I don't really get the 'Usergroup Member' tags, surely the every customer of PN (insert vISP here) is a member of the usergroup, the ones who currently call themselves 'members' are merely the elected representatives of the rest of us.

Best Wishes - James

Tell me and I'll forget; show me and I may remember; involve me and I'll understand. - Chinese Proverb
NB
Usergroup Member

« Reply #44 on: March 05, 2007, 01:17:21 pm »

Whilst I'm ranting a bit, I don't really get the 'Usergroup Member' tags, surely the every customer of PN (insert vISP here) is a member of the usergroup, the ones who currently call themselves 'members' are merely the elected representatives of the rest of us.

AFAIK none of the 'members' of the usergroup have been elected so far.  All have either been hand picked by Plusnet, or subsequently by the PUG members at the time.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Send this topic  |  Print  

Jump to: