Home   Help Search Groups Login Register  
You are not logged in. To get the full experience of these forums, we recommend you log in or register
Plusnet Usergroup » All Users - The Open Forum » Plusnet Customer Service Issues » Webstats late?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  
Author Topic: Webstats late?  (Read 114708 times)
Penny

« on: February 27, 2007, 08:06:32 am »

Today's webstats haven't appeared - anyone else seeing this?

Webstats yesterday (26/02) came in at 05:08 GMT - they usually appear at around that time so just flagging this up early so it doesn't get missed, if it's more widespread.

Did look on service status but couldn't find anything.

Regards,

Penny.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007, 08:08:12 am by Penny »

Penny Rollo       Force 9 from 17/02/98       PlusNet from 2000 onwards     
Project HappyChild - free maths worksheets, free French-English
worksheets and 12 other languages http://www.happychild.org.uk
personal site www.pennymidasrollo.plus.com
dgdclynx
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 09:25:59 am »

Penny. I just put in a ticket. Please do as well. They are over four hours late.
Penny

« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 09:50:32 am »

Penny. I just put in a ticket. Please do as well. They are over four hours late.

Cheers Douglas - done Smiley

Actually I've added to the existing ticket [ID: 21008012] (which would otherwise have lapsed) which started re the non-appearance of Webstats on 4th Jan.

I'd asked about the visits/sites ratio being skewed, and fewer pages than actually recorded, and Ben Brown was kind enough to investigate what was causing the problem (I'll quote part of his reply below given that this issue was discussed at length in long-gone previous threads here):

It seems that cron had stopped running on one of the homepages servers, so it hadn't copied it's log files across. I have now restarted this and am looking at setting this up in Nagios so we are alerted if this happens again.

So all to the good, and I have to say that Webstats in recent days (the last week or so) had looked much healthier with a good sites/visits ratio even if pages recorded were still some way below the on-site counters here.

The non-appearance of Webstats so far today is a bit worrying, particularly as things had looked to be improving, but hopefully someone from PN will see this thread and start the Webstats run manually, if that hasn't happened already.

Regards,

Penny.

JBailey

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 10:25:18 am »

Hi Guys,

I've raised a P2 on Webstats this morning.

Kind Regards,

James Bailey
Complaints Manager
Plusnet
Penny

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2007, 11:17:20 am »

Hi Guys,
I've raised a P2 on Webstats this morning.

Thank you James Smiley

Just out of interest, do P2's (and P1's, come to that) automatically flag up somewhere in Service Status, so that other customers know a ticket on the related subject does not need to be raised?

Regards,

Penny.

bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2007, 11:32:22 am »

Penny, I'll put a Service Status out once I get out of the meeting I'm in.

Rgds,

bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2007, 12:03:38 pm »

Service Status now out. Should have the stats back in around 8 hours. Looks like it could be the aftermath of one of the frontpage servers dying a couple of nights ago.

Have asked again about improving monitoring as you guys always pick this one up before we do  wink

Kind Rgds,

Penny

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2007, 03:41:23 pm »

Penny, I'll put a Service Status out once I get out of the meeting I'm in.

Wasn't hassling you Smiley  just struck me that if something/anything became allocated a P1 or P2 there might be some way of auto-ensuring it became visible on Service Status.

Service Status now out. Should have the stats back in around 8 hours. Looks like it could be the aftermath of one of the frontpage servers dying a couple of nights ago.
Have asked again about improving monitoring as you guys always pick this one up before we do  wink

8 hours sounds good, thanks Bob.

Re the monitoring factor, might be a whole lot easier to identify Webstats issues if it had its own "box" or specific mention in (a) service status (b) the help assistant. 
With the latter, "Webspace" on the front page separates off into * Webspace * CGI * MySQL * Frontpage. Clicking a second time on "Webspace" gets you * Webspace FAQ * Webspace and FTP Settings * Restore My Webspace * Customer Discussion Forums * Enable Raw Web Logs * Report a problem with our web servers.

As far as my limited understanding goes, you can FTP into CGI as well as the homepages server.  So (from my perspective, anyway) it would be clearer if Webspace (the first one) on the Help Assistant, separated out into * Webspace * FTP * CGI * MySQL * Webstats  [however things get further subdivided after that].

Would be good if (a) the Technical Support area on the Help Assistant matched up with the Service Status categories (b) if all/most of the webspace-related stuff has to be lumped into one, then the first column of service status could be made considerably wider to accommodate specific mention of Webstats somewhere.  Just changed the display to 800x600 and there's still a huge blank margin on the right.

Would just like to see the range of categories for (a) raising a ticket (b) finding information on ongoing issues, more clearly identified, if that's possible.

If customers had a more direct way of reporting a Webstats problem, which might flag relevant tickets directly as Webstats at your end, it might save you guys needing to do additional monitoring (not that I'd wish to dissuade you from that Smiley ).

Regards,

Penny.

bpullen
Plusnet Staff

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2007, 05:02:20 pm »

Penny,

IMO the revamping of the Service Status tool (categories included) is long overdue. It causes me no end of grief (and unnecessary work come to think of it) Sad

Anyway, you're stats should be back now so if you and Doug are happy then I'll clear the current Status announcement?

Kind Rgds,

Penny

« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2007, 05:15:19 pm »

Anyway, you're stats should be back now so if you and Doug are happy then I'll clear the current Status announcement?
Kind Rgds,

Yes, they're back, and thank you Smiley  had noticed the new stats a few minutes back but at that point was in the midst of something else.  So yes, fine from here on zapping Service Status.

Penny,
IMO the revamping of the Service Status tool (categories included) is long overdue. It causes me no end of grief (and unnecessary work come to think of it) Sad

Glad it's not just me that finds it non-logical, then Smiley  I just struggle with the presently-defined pathways and the seeming lack of overall cohesion.

Perhaps when someone finally has the time to reinstate "Tickets" they could look at overhauling (and integrating) the category structure for both tickets and service status?

Regards,

Penny.

dgdclynx
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 08:51:00 am »

Portal webstats havent arrived yet. If it has fallen over it will have to be restarted fairly soon. Must be BST.
Penny

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 10:12:18 am »

Portal webstats havent arrived yet. If it has fallen over it will have to be restarted fairly soon. Must be BST.

No webstats here either.  You might be right about the BST factor, Douglas :/

Regards,

Penny.

dgdclynx
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 10:24:15 am »

I have just put in a ticket. Five hours wait time. I suggest you do the same to back me up so they can be saved.
Penny

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 10:30:42 am »

I have just put in a ticket. Five hours wait time. I suggest you do the same to back me up so they can be saved.

Had just done that Smiley  Ticket No. 21590830.
Morning Support,
No Webstats today - not just here as dgdclynx has also flagged this up in PUG.
Possibly/probably related to the GMT/BST changeover which has caused problems in the past.
Any chance of someone starting the Webstats run manually?
Thanks, Penny.

I hope they can indeed be saved. Had thought Webstats was pretty much fixed, lately.

jelv1

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2007, 11:09:36 am »

The webstats go wrong nearly every time the clocks change. Given that the internet is international it defeats me why the clock change should be taken in to account. They should just run on Universal (GMT) permanently which would take the clock change out of the equation.

jelv
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 19
  Print  

Jump to: